Circuit bending A STYLOPHONE?

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anybody ever circuit bent a stylophone? Whats the best way to do it? Iv heard you should open it up and just test connections with small pieces of wire/resistors and keep going till you get something interesting then to solder it?!

I really want something totally my own so circuit bending seems a good option!

Thanks guys!

Jay

Rule #1: never bend something you can't afford to kill in the process.

I've killed my Arp Axxe while trying to figure out how the ADSR worked, by using the Ampere meter of my multi-meter :dog: Short-cirquiting at random is not a good idea.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

read the sticky thread at top of this forum. I have no specific information on bending a stylophone, but there is a lot of valuable information in that thread on bending in general.

As you said, unless you have some kind of specific knowledge to the circuitry, you pretty much just poke around for interesting sounds.

this book is great for a general outline of bending, the latter half of the book is specific to a few circuits. http://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Bending-B ... 235&sr=8-1
'The science of rich men does not elevate all mankind, but only themselves.'
sound cloud

I wouldn't expect any interesting results from circuit bending a stylophone. Given the description of the circuit that is provided on wikipedia, your most likely results are going to be pitch alterations and possibly some analog overdrive.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

intel wrote:analog overdrive.
That sounds fun =]
I need a soundcloud ¬¬

It's not as cool as it sounds... For the time and effort, and risk, you can pick up a stompbox on eBay.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

You could change the interface (remove the stylo from the phone) pretty easily I'd imagine. I haven't seen a schematic, but I bet the way this works is that each pad has a different value resistor attached. You could use a piece of conductive VHS tape instead of the pads to create an instrument with greater range and continuity. You could also add a rheostat or photopotentiometer for different ways of controlling pitch.

@Bert: Ouch. Can't do that. Ammeter goes in series with the circuit,* voltmeter across the points.

@Mef: I was young and stupid, lesson learned... No servicable parts inside indeed!!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

*nod* Done different, but also destructive, stuff in my time.

I had a yamaha pss-220 when I was a kid, and I remember circuit bending it when I was 14, before I knew that was what it was even called. I grabbed a handful of resistors outta my dads parts bin, and randomly shorted the leads on the voice IC. I remember getting an amazing thick saw bass sound out of it...

You can "circuit bend" a stylophone ... or anything else NOT PLUGGED INTO THE MAINS .. in a temporary manner by squirting the circuit with a plant sprayer .... get the sampler set up, plug it in .. and squirt/spray/mist. if you dont get the desired result, damp it off with kitchen towel, stick it over a heater and try again later! ... iron filings ...or even mercury (TOXIC!) can be similarly useful ..... be careful out there folks! :)

I just had to buy a stylophone. For 20$ US you can't make a synth that sounds this good. I took it apart and alas, obfuscation! A big glob of wax on the circuit. I think I'm going to replace the pitch control potentiometer with one that has a wider range and make an ondes martenot like controller for it. I might make an instructable and share what I did if anyone is interested.

sam the wizer wrote:I just had to buy a stylophone. For 20$ US you can't make a synth that sounds this good. I took it apart and alas, obfuscation! A big glob of wax on the circuit. I think I'm going to replace the pitch control potentiometer with one that has a wider range and make an ondes martenot like controller for it. I might make an instructable and share what I did if anyone is interested.
Omigosh, that's exactly what I plan to do! Have you done this???
I just built an Ondes Martenot controller, and posted two videos about it on YouTube.

I'd like to know if you've pursued this Stylophone project.

Best,
- Dana Countryman

Happymoogman wrote: I just built an Ondes Martenot controller, and posted two videos about it on YouTube.

- Dana Countryman
ooh links please :)
sounds fun.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”