CIRCUIT BENDING ... Mini forum in a single thread !!!

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know what it is, now. You, on a very visceral level, are incapable of understanding circuit bending. If you think that an impressionist painter would ever want to create a perfect representation of an object, then you have a distinct and basic lack of understanding for impressionism. If you think that the purpose of circuit bending is to "make an led light up correctly" [sic], then you don't even understand why people circuit bend, much less what they hope to accomplish in the process. All along I thought that you meant to imply that circuit benders would never successfully circuit bend without your knowledge of electricity. But, I think that the reality is that you lend no legitimacy to circuit bent artifacts at all. Based on your participation in this thread, that makes you a troll.

I have a hard time believing that you live in Vancouver and have such a limited grasp on concepts outside your personal preferences. But, then, I suppose even urban environments can produce sheltered and irritatingly close-minded people.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

"I could be way wrong, but I think there's a whole lot of arguing over nada here..."

exactly.. these people are claiming what i've said is "wrong" and i "clearly misunderstand the purpose of circuit bending". i never said anything about the purpose of circuit bending, i said it's a damn waste of time if you want to do anything else!

the reason i said it was that spacedad mentioned he couldnt manage to get an led to light up. he was working from the circuit bending method of "just connect things". i said "you cant use circuit bending here.. you need to know some stuff to make that led light up at the correct current.. here, do this ..."

quite simple really. certain people just like to argue, though.

btw, for those people: the world doesnt revolve around circuit bending. not even this thread revolves around circuit bending. you're acting like an over-defensive child or something like you have a serious ego problem or feel the need to "prove" your "circuit bending" to the world. i honestly do not care about circuit bending! i only said you cant go anywhere with it's methods.

why do you need to "read in" to this statement as if i'm saying circuit bending itself is a waste of time? you then take up a defensive posture and state that "circuit bending is MEANT to be a waste of time". this is just rediculous :lol:

go circuit bend something for everyone's sake. seems like you've circuit bent your brains. must be all those little shocks accumulating over time. :lol:

in no way is this meant as flip or to seem rude but all I can say is....so don't argue :shrug:

spacedad has got a lot of valuable info, I know I learned some things about bending, you're confident in what you're doing and the benders are happy doing what they're doing...that's good, no?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

oh why did you have to go edit your post while I was typing mine :dog:...oh well, can't blame a guy for trying....good night.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

aciddose wrote:"I could be way wrong, but I think there's a whole lot of arguing over nada here..."

exactly.. these people are claiming what i've said is "wrong" and i "clearly misunderstand the purpose of circuit bending". i never said anything about the purpose of circuit bending, i said it's a damn waste of time if you want to do anything else!

the reason i said it was that spacedad mentioned he couldnt manage to get an led to light up. he was working from the circuit bending method of "just connect things". i said "you cant use circuit bending here.. you need to know some stuff to make that led light up at the correct current.. here, do this ..."

quite simple really. certain people just like to argue, though.

btw, for those people: the world doesnt revolve around circuit bending. not even this thread revolves around circuit bending. you're acting like an over-defensive child or something like you have a serious ego problem or feel the need to "prove" your "circuit bending" to the world. i honestly do not care about circuit bending! i only said you cant go anywhere with it's methods.

why do you need to "read in" to this statement as if i'm saying circuit bending itself is a waste of time? you then take up a defensive posture and state that "circuit bending is MEANT to be a waste of time". this is just rediculous :lol:

go circuit bend something for everyone's sake. seems like you've circuit bent your brains. must be all those little shocks accumulating over time. :lol:
Dude. You're a tool. I'm done with this conversation. The thread and all of your previous posts speak for themselves. Henceforth any post you make in this thread will be ignored.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

well the reason i'm arguing is that i do not want these two guys to convince anybody else that they should ignore the info i provided to spacedad, although it seems too late for that now that it's buried in the mess of argument. i've just been rephrasing the same statements to try to get these guys to understand i do not care about circuit bending or anything they have to say on "the definition of circuit bending", and this is a sign of that "don't argue with the mentally disabled" thing i mentioned before.

good job guys :hyper:

now the thread is all about "circuit bending is a invulnerable art form beyond a lesser humans ability to comprehend" rather than the helpful facts i posted.

aciddose wrote:the thread should be all about "circuit bending is an accessible art form well within any human's ability to comprehend without needing to know any theory" rather than the unrelated theory i posted.
fixed that for you.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

aciddose wrote:i said, i cant understand that you can do anything more than mess up toys with circuit bending. if you want to do more advanced things like make an led light up correctly you can just follow some basic instructions off a benders site about how to fit an LED, and you dont need to understand any theory to do that. this is a simple fact. .
fixed that, too.

aciddose wrote:btw, for those people: the world doesnt revolve around theory. particularly this thread, which revolves around circuit bending. i'm acting like an over-defensive child or something like i have a serious ego problem or feel the need to "prove" my "theory" to the world. i honestly do not care about circuit bending! i only said i cant comprehend it's methods.
and another fix.

aciddose wrote:well the reason i'm arguing is that i want to convince everybody else that they should ignore everything about circuit bending and obey the info i provided to spacedad, although it seems too late for that now that it's buried in the mess of argument. i've just been rephrasing the same statements to try to get these guys to understand i do not care about circuit bending or anything they have to say on "the definition of circuit bending", and this is a sign of that "don't argue with mentally disabled folk like me" thing i mentioned before."
and that should be the last fix for you.

Reed Ghazala on LEDs
LEDs- (Light Emitting Diodes) are usually, for the sake of circuit-bending, low-voltage light sources. Like all diodes, their core function is to act as a one-way valve for electrons, but their nice glow and long life nearly eclipses this concern in much electronic design. You may find points on the circuit you're bending between which LEDs will glow or pulse. These can serve as function indicators or pilot lights. An LED wired to the speaker leads may work as an envelope light also, flashing with the intensity of the sound waves.

LEDs are "polarized" components; if they don't glow when connected between promising points on a circuit, try reversing the leads. If they still don't glow, there is not enough power available to activate them. An over-driven LED will burn out. Might even pop. Be aware of the LED that, when tested in a circuit, momentarily lights brightly but then dims to an off-color glow. Or lights too brightly while shifting color. Or simply lights too brightly. These are all signs of too much power being applied. Burn-out will eventually result. LEDs may also affect the sound of the circuit depending upon where they are connected.

so what is your point? you're arguing that you can potentially make an led light up using trial and error. so what?

my point was: you can not correctly light an led without understanding the function of the thing and implementing that function using the correct methods.

where is this "theory" you're talking about? i've mentioned no theories here, only stated facts. nobody needs any more to show them how much of a child you are beyond the five-posts-in-a-row childish behaviour you've just displayed.

aciddose wrote:my point was: you can correctly light an led without understanding the function of the thing

fixed that.

not without trial-and-error, where you'll definitely be going through a lot of extra components and using up lots of time.

if you want to correctly light an led at the intended brightness and ensure it doesnt burn out over time, suffer from brightness or color change from "burn in" with too much current or appear too dim, you need to calculate the resistance needed based upon the values in the data-sheet.

go grab an led from your stuff, and come back here to tell me how many mA that led expects to get to light up at 100%. tell me what the minimum voltage to achieve this is. tell me what resistances you need at 3v, 5v, 12v and 15v. can you? no.

my point has been made.

aciddose wrote: if you just want to add an led, you dont need to calculate anything
fixed that for you.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”