CIRCUIT BENDING ... Mini forum in a single thread !!!

...and how to do so...
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27729 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:22 am

aciddose wrote:you do need to know something like ohm's law to make an led light up, however.

...
if you want to add an led to your circuit bend, you must know ohm's law and other important electrical bits of wisdom.
The most common method to 'make an led light up' used in circuit bending does not require knowledge of ohm's law. it only requires trial and error. that's all. again your statements are at complete odds with the actual practices and methods of circuit bending.
once again: you cant go anywhere with "circuit bending" without having some basic knowledge of electronics.
once again: lots of people go 'somewhere' with "circuit bending" without having any basic knowledge of electronics, and your claims only betray your complete ignorance of the real-life practice of circuit bending.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

User avatar
aciddose
KVRAF
12318 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:30 am

The most idiotic method to 'make an led light up' used in circuit bending does not require knowledge of ohm's law. it only requires 100 burnt out leds and a week. that's all.
fixed that for you...

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27729 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:16 am

aciddose wrote:misunderstood that again for you...
congratulations on demonstrating your inability to accept reality yet again. you must be proud of your remarkable recto-cranial overlap.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

User avatar
aciddose
KVRAF
12318 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:39 am

what exactly did i misunderstand?

you're suggesting that people should randomly connect the leads of the led to places on the circuit board without adding any additional consideration to the matter. this will result in many burnt out leds and take a long time to do. using some five minutes worth of basic knowledge, we can accomplish the same task perfectly in an additional five minutes.

you are the one suggesting that people should do things in a completely backwards and inefficient manner.

circuit bending methodology is only useful if your time is worthless. the reality which you are missing out on is that there exists a peak in the cost vs. benefit, time vs. accomplishments graph. i'm pointing toward that point. you are pointing toward the end of the graph where the cost vs. benefit is very poor.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
56724 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:46 am

do you understand the difference between art and commerce?

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27729 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:50 am

aciddose wrote:what exactly did i misunderstand?
circuit bending.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

User avatar
aciddose
KVRAF
12318 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:59 am

i haven't misunderstood anything. why don't you address the points i've brought up rather than trying to change the subject by making yourself out to be some kind of fine-art connoisseur? as if 'circuit bending' is a fine art.

if you wont address the points i've made i'd rather not discuss this with you, as you're a child exactly as i've previously described. it isnt possible to argue anything on the merits with you as you only want to argue - by addressing real facts and solving issues the argument becomes discussion and thoughts evolve toward some end-goal. you apparently strive only to create disorder and fight with everyone constantly.

i have no problem if you would like to play fine-art connoisseur all by yourself and fiddle around wasting your time pretending absolute piss is fine-art. i will not let you suggest that other people with less free time and more realistic goals should do the same. i certainly will not let you say that anything i have said is wrong, especially not in the context of reality.

shamann
KVRAF
12245 posts since 18 Aug, 2003

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:09 am

aciddose wrote:as if 'circuit bending' is a fine art.
I think it's meant more to be a low art.

The point you missed is that breaking stuff stupidly is part of the fun and point of circuit bending, that's why you use cheap junk in the first place.

User avatar
aciddose
KVRAF
12318 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:26 am

i haven't missed that at all, that was my original point. i said "you cant get anywhere with circuit bending without knowing ...". the point was to say that you'll never get to accomplish anything more than breaking / messing up cheap toys. i've said multiple times that i do not give a damn if people want to do that, that wasn't the issue.

intel
KVRAF
2135 posts since 12 Jul, 2004 from Brave New World

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:20 pm

aciddose wrote:you do need to know something like ohm's law to make an led light up, however.
Wrong. I can teach my three year old to make an LED light up. It just requires an LED, some wire and a power supply.
once again, i was making the statement in response to what had been specifically asked. if you want to add an led to your circuit bend, you must know ohm's law and other important electrical bits of wisdom.
Wrong. I've added LEDs to circuit bent projects and I don't know the first thing about Ohm's Law, other than it involves a mathematical equation and math can die and go to Hell.
do you need to know anything to aimlessly prod around with a wire, potentially shocking yourself, potentially damaging equipment and potentially getting nothing useful out of it at all? no, of course not.
Thank you. You've just summed up the argument that the circuit benders in this mini-forum have been trying to make. I think you've finally caught on.
that wasn't what spacedad wanted to do, however. he wanted to make an led light up.
And it's been well-established that spacedad should have posited his question in a different forum.
once again: you cant go anywhere with "circuit bending" without having some basic knowledge of electronics.
Ah. Well, I thought you had learned something.
if you'd like to say that "adding an led isnt circuit bending", that's fine. that's just fine, see my comment about arguing with the mentally disabled.
Technically it's not. And you're right. It's really difficult arguing with someone who doesn't understand the subject and doesn't have the mental capacity to learn from the repeated attempts of others to educate that person on their fallacious comments.
you're suggesting that people should randomly connect the leads of the led to places on the circuit board without adding any additional consideration to the matter.
It's been stated that this is the method employed by most circuit benders, yes.
this will result in many burnt out leds and take a long time to do.
Take a long time? Maybe. Burnt out LED? I've never heard of it happening and it's never happened to me.
using some five minutes worth of basic knowledge, we can accomplish the same task perfectly in an additional five minutes.
Or you can accomplish the task without that knowledge. That's the beauty of modding and bending electronics.
you are the one suggesting that people should do things in a completely backwards and inefficient manner.
I think what's been suggested here is that people employ standard circuit bending procedures to (wait for it....) Circuit Bend!
circuit bending methodology is only useful if your time is worthless.
No. Going to school to learn the physics of electricity is a waste of time if you only ever intend to bend or modify existing circuits.
the reality which you are missing out on is that there exists a peak in the cost vs. benefit, time vs. accomplishments graph. i'm pointing toward that point. you are pointing toward the end of the graph where the cost vs. benefit is very poor.
I don't circuit bend to achieve some optimal output in a cost/benefit analysis. I circuit bend because it's fun, most of the time. If your only goal in circuit bending is to make money really fast, you're wasting your time.
i haven't misunderstood anything. why don't you address the points i've brought up
Done. And you still don't know what you're talking about.
rather than trying to change the subject by making yourself out to be some kind of fine-art connoisseur? as if 'circuit bending' is a fine art.
As Steve said, it's a "low art". Blue collar art for poor people who don't give a toss about your Ohm's Law. People who thumb their nose at your Ohm's Law and could care less about the rules that govern resistance and capacitance. Perhaps that's why you so rabidly deny the value of the circuit bending movement. Perhaps it scares you that so many people can so willfully and wantonly dismiss the information you've spent so much time accumulating, and still produce results that captivate their peers.
if you wont address the points i've made i'd rather not discuss this with you, as you're a child exactly as i've previously described.
You're the only one here acting like a child, given your utter and thorough lack of understanding of the very basic tenants and concepts of circuit bending and your pertinacious adherence to the contrary.
it isnt possible to argue anything on the merits with you as you only want to argue - by addressing real facts and solving issues the argument becomes discussion and thoughts evolve toward some end-goal. you apparently strive only to create disorder and fight with everyone constantly.
Whyterabbyt does come off that way, but plenty of facts and examples have been presented in this thread to prove our point. You just choose to ignore them and stick to your uninformed mantra, claiming that people who circuit bend without the knowledge you possess cannot produce worthwhile results. The very real truth is quite the opposite and the evidence speaks for itself. One need only point you to the proliferation of the movement and it's output in modern music.

Whyterabbyt is correct in one regard: you do appear to have an impressive amount of recto-cranial overlap.
i have no problem if you would like to play fine-art connoisseur all by yourself and fiddle around wasting your time pretending absolute piss is fine-art.
I would recommend that you spend some time actually hanging around with circuit benders, rather than pretending that you know anything about the movement. Once you get a little experience under your belt you can come back and talk about things. Until then I will dismiss this vitriol as the puerile ramblings of an uneducated mind.
i will not let you suggest that other people with less free time and more realistic goals should do the same.
I wouldn't recommend circuit bending to anyone who is concerned about turning a profit in their free time. If that is your ultimate goal (you're obviously from the States), I would suggest that you find a different hobby. Maybe you can donate your time to the scientific community. Test subjects generally get paid fairly well by psychologists.

On the other hand, if someone wants to circuit bend, I wouldn't suggest that they spend all their free time learning Ohm's Law, since it plays absolutely no part in the low art of circuit bending.
i certainly will not let you say that anything i have said is wrong, especially not in the context of reality.
Odd. I haven't seen any of your arguments come close to reflecting the reality in which the rest of the members of this discussion exist. What color are the clouds in your "reality"?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27729 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:35 pm

aciddose wrote:i haven't misunderstood anything.
yes you have.
i certainly will not let you say that anything i have said is wrong,
you're wrong.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

Meffy
Skunk Mod
20565 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:44 pm

Temporarily locked while I do some shoveling.

[edit] On second thought, splitting the thread's not worth the time and bother to mess with it. Enjoy the kindergartenklopperei, those who would rather klop than do.

datapark
KVRist
259 posts since 17 Feb, 2005 from Canada

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:27 am

Reed Ghazala wrote:My shop teacher was speechless when I told him, quite truthfully, that I didn't know anything about electronics. I really didn't. I knew a little about soldering, but that was it. That's all I knew then.... that's all you need to know now.
==
Reed Ghazala
Circuit-Bending : Build Your Own Alien Instruments
Part 1, Chapter 1




Aciddoze, I see what you're trying to say, but its a bit like a photographer telling an impressionist painter that his picture is blurry, and he's doing it wrong.

You've got your method, and it includes at least some basic knowledge of electronic design. But then the purists or people doing it just for the f**k of it have their way, which as far as I can tell is the method endorsed by the man given credit for popularizing it all.

User avatar
aciddose
KVRAF
12318 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:51 pm

"I see what you're trying to say"

i said, you cant do anything more than mess up toys with circuit bending. if you want to do more advanced things like make an led light up correctly (is this advanced?) you need to know some basic rules. this is a simple fact.

again: you can not get anywhere in circuit bending without knowing some additional basic rules.

"its a bit like a photographer telling an impressionist painter that his picture is blurry, and he'll never create a perfect representation of the object he is modeling that way. he'd better learn photography if he does want to do so."

fixed that..

User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
30189 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:27 pm

aciddose wrote:"I see what you're trying to say"

i said, you cant do anything more than mess up toys with circuit bending. if you want to do more advanced things like make an led light up correctly (is this advanced?) you need to know some basic rules. this is a simple fact.

again: you can not get anywhere in circuit bending without knowing some additional basic rules.

"its a bit like a photographer telling an impressionist painter that his picture is blurry, and he'll never create a perfect representation of the object he is modeling that way. he'd better learn photography if he does want to do so."

fixed that..
I've never tried circuit bending, but I do have a very basic electronic knowledge...but I do not do much more than electronics in my guitars or build a kit. I might do a mod to my fender blues...so limited.

I highlighted what I think in your post is the missing link. You see I think you're saying is that this trial and error method will not be very productive as it will more likely create junk. You need some knowledge to do it correctly and achieve what you're after.

The bender crowd is saying, "yup, you're right...we're okay with trashing a lot of toys to discover something unique and we don't know what we're trying to achieve but we'll know it if and when we get it. " :shrug:

I could be way wrong, but I think there's a whole lot of arguing over nada here...:)
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”