The quantum harmonic oscillator

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This name sounded great even for a DIY project of making a synth or a song even.
Source here (scroll down): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_principle

If anyone already got it share it! (or let us know where you bought it!) :D :D :D

Here is a demonstration[8] of how large quantum numbers can give rise to classical (continuous) behavior.

Consider the one-dimensional quantum harmonic oscillator. Quantum mechanics tells us that the total (kinetic and potential) energy of the oscillator, E, has a set of discrete values,

{\displaystyle E=(n+1/2)\hbar \omega ,\ n=0,1,2,3,\dots ~,}E=(n+1/2)\hbar \omega ,\ n=0,1,2,3,\dots ~,
where ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

However, in a classical harmonic oscillator such as a lead ball attached to the end of a spring, we do not perceive any discreteness. Instead, the energy of such a macroscopic system appears to vary over a continuum of values. We can verify that our idea of macroscopic systems fall within the correspondence limit. The energy of the classical harmonic oscillator with amplitude A, is

{\displaystyle E={\frac {m\omega ^{2}A^{2}}{2}}.}E={\frac {m\omega ^{2}A^{2}}{2}}.
Thus, the quantum number has the value

{\displaystyle n={\frac {E}{\hbar \cdot \omega }}-{\frac {1}{2}}={\frac {m\omega A^{2}}{2\hbar }}-{\frac {1}{2}}}n={\frac {E}{\hbar \cdot \omega }}-{\frac {1}{2}}={\frac {m\omega A^{2}}{2\hbar }}-{\frac {1}{2}}
If we apply typical "human-scale" values m = 1kg, ω = 1 rad/s, and A = 1 m, then n ≈ 4.74×1033. This is a very large number, so the system is indeed in the correspondence limit.

It is simple to see why we perceive a continuum of energy in this limit. With ω = 1 rad/s, the difference between each energy level is ħω ≈ 1.05 × 10−34J, well below what we normally resolve for macroscopic systems. One then describes this system through an emergent classical limit.

LaTeX may not be the best choice of markup here :)

resynthesis wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:23 am LaTeX may not be the best choice of markup here :)
Maybe https://www.quicklatex.com/ ? Paste in your LaTeX code, click button, copy and paste the link they provide. You get a rendered image, they get a backlink.

Meffy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:23 am
resynthesis wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:23 am LaTeX may not be the best choice of markup here :)
Maybe https://www.quicklatex.com/ ? Paste in your LaTeX code, click button, copy and paste the link they provide. You get a rendered image, they get a backlink.
Im not sure if its his LaTeX code, the entirety of his second post looks like its cut and paste from the Wiki article.
Im not sure how informed the user is about the subject, its a bit 'hey this is some thing that mentions oscillators, so SMOP, where do I get?'
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

How practical is it? It's probably limited to sine waves anyway.
Surely it oscillates, but can you change its frequency? How to get out a voltage of around 1V?
Does it need a cubic meter of equipment, consuming 15kW power?

So many questions, and no answer on wikipedia :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

does it work like quantum computing?
im not sure drilling holes to alternate dimensions and bringing back extra resources, is advisable for music related projects.
the risks outweigh the benefits, better tuning/turning the universe inside out :scared:

but, send the wiki page to game changer fx in latvia, bet theyd have fun with it 8)

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 am Im not sure if its his LaTeX code, the entirety of his second post looks like its cut and paste from the Wiki article.
Yes, the [8] was a bit of a give-away. By "his" I meant whatever code he wants to render.

My standard reply to explicit declarations of SMOP is "Best hit the books. It'll be simple."

not the same i know, but im currently using the cmb as an oscillator. would happily sell the secret for 1 million dollars!!!!

(cosmic microwave background)

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”