Rhino 2.15 update available

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The crash log is from running the stand alone. Behaviour in the AU and VST is the same - click on control and crash.
Last edited by bradkvr on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wondering if it's Sierra. I'm still running Yosemite.

I have a feeling it could even be the latest Sierra update. I've been running Sierra since it was released and I'm pretty sure I've used Rhino successfully in that time.

Any progress on the Rhino crash?

Thanks

Brad

No - I don't have Sierra and it doesn't crash for me on Yosemite, which makes it hard to investigate what's going on.

so - I'm SOL with Rhino now? You have no intention of updating it?

if everyone else has the same issue with Sierra I will fix it.

I'm running Sierra (latest update) and am not seeing any problems, neither in the standalone nor in the VST/AU. But the reproduction steps aren't really clear to me -- if clicking around on pulling on controls is the thing to do, it's not failing for me.

I'm not getting these crashes with Rhino under Sierra - this is on a 2009 Mac Pro.

Where I have had mystifying crashes with otherwise functional plugins, I've tracked it down to problems with old Rewire bundles. It's very easy to build up a collection of these without realising it because they often get installed automatically and they get pulled into the host when it launches – then some interaction with a running plugin crashes the host.

I've been trying to dig deeper into Rhino and have hit a problem with the user controls, particularly when trying to assign oscillators to a slider. If I try and allocate a slider to, for example, FM3/1 it will pick something like Coarse6 instead. The replacements are consistent but there's no obvious relationship between the choices (such as the names and IDs in the list picker being offset by a fixed amount). But for some reason, the menus aren't being populated correctly. Some sub-menus are affected; some aren't. FX parameters, for example, seem to work OK.

This is v2.1.5 on OS X Sierra, 12.6. AU and VST both seem to be affected the same way.

Is there any chance you can try it on a older OSX ? It almost sounds like something changed in the native menus handling...

Big Tick wrote:Is there any chance you can try it on a older OSX ? It almost sounds like something changed in the native menus handling...
It might have to be something really old like Snow Leopard but I can give it a whirl once I've located the machine.

The oscillator-shape menu looks to be OK on Sierra though (though maybe this isn't using the same method to populate its menu).

From what I can tell, it's a 32bit vs 64bit issue. The menu in the 32bit version works fine under Sierra but it's the 64bit version that's messed up. It works under Snow Leopard, though I've only tested it at 32bit in 10.6 and I'm not sure I've got a 64bit host that would work on there to be able to test it.

The 32bit vs 64bit behaviour seems consistent across a desktop and a laptop running Sierra.

Return to “Big Tick”