Zen betatesting

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do you have a shared drive between both computers ? If you do, then yes, just do it like this (A is the computer connected to the net, B is your DAW). I assume Zen is already installed on B.
- install Zen on A
- move your Zen folder from B to the shared drive, and change the value of zen.homePath (in your zen.properties file, on both A and B)
- copy the .pem files from B to A
- run the server updater on A

If you don't have a shared drive, you will probably want to use a USB drive to move your database around. The configuration is pretty much the same as above.

aMUSEd wrote:Also can it have 8 sliders to correspond to Kore's 8 knobs? - might be ironic but also Zen is a good complement to Kore and I have found that if you make a simple 8 macro knob template for it the names update with the plugin which is neat

This would also be a much more Zen approach to NI
++1 :)

Another feature request:
As an example: the first parameter is named "Zen Control 1" instead of e.g. "filter freq" for Synth 1 and "Fil1 Cutoff" for Z3ta ...

It would be handy to show the "real" parameter names (like in Rhino) so that one can see on the Kore hardware what each knob does. ATM I have to guess what the function is of the "Zen Control 1" knob ...

Yes that would be good - the rest of the names do update - just not the 6 ZnCnts - if they could update to the realnames too and if there were 8 corresponding to the kore knob positions that would be even more awesome

asseca wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Also can it have 8 sliders to correspond to Kore's 8 knobs? - might be ironic but also Zen is a good complement to Kore and I have found that if you make a simple 8 macro knob template for it the names update with the plugin which is neat

This would also be a much more Zen approach to NI
++1 :)
+1 :)

also Novation Nocturn (that first, compact, cheap edition) has 8 knobs. However, I'm not sure if Zen works with Novation automap. I guess, i'll test it today :)

Big Tick wrote:Do you have a shared drive between both computers ? If you do, then yes, just do it like this (A is the computer connected to the net, B is your DAW). I assume Zen is already installed on B.
- install Zen on A
- move your Zen folder from B to the shared drive, and change the value of zen.homePath (in your zen.properties file, on both A and B)
- copy the .pem files from B to A
- run the server updater on A

If you don't have a shared drive, you will probably want to use a USB drive to move your database around. The configuration is pretty much the same as above.
I've made a shared folder for Zen on computer A for the database etc and mapped it as a network drive on B so it has a path Z:\ now on B. How do I add that to the properties file?

aMUSEd wrote:Yes that would be good - the rest of the names do update - just not the 6 ZnCnts - if they could update to the realnames too and if there were 8 corresponding to the kore knob positions that would be even more awesome
Obviously Zen knows the real names (since they are displayed with the slider). So I'll change that, but keep in mind that some hosts only query the plugin for the parameter names once, upon startup - they assume the names will never change. So it will get messy with these hosts.

aMUSEd wrote:I've made a shared folder for Zen on computer A for the database etc and mapped it as a network drive on B so it has a path Z:\ now on B. How do I add that to the properties file?
Into the shared drive, move:
- zendb.s3db
- private.pem, public.pem and server.pem
- the presets/ folder

Then edit zen.properties to define zen.homePath at the end of the file:

Code: Select all

# if zen.homePath is defined, it will be used to define where the database
# and the presets are stored. Otherwise it defaults to /Documents and Settings/<user>/Application Data/Big Tick/zen
# Forward slashes are used as a path delimiter, regardless of the operating system.
zen.homePath: Z:/My Shared Path/zen/database/
If your case the homePath should be simply Z:/ if you didn't define any additional directories

Big Tick wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Yes that would be good - the rest of the names do update - just not the 6 ZnCnts - if they could update to the realnames too and if there were 8 corresponding to the kore knob positions that would be even more awesome
Obviously Zen knows the real names (since they are displayed with the slider). So I'll change that, but keep in mind that some hosts only query the plugin for the parameter names once, upon startup - they assume the names will never change. So it will get messy with these hosts.
Maybe create a setting in zen.properties: "UseRealNames=0/1" :wink:

Done - and I've also added 2 more user sliders.

The latest beta is my intended public release. I will just wait 1 or 2 days for you guys to try it out before going public, just in case I would have missed something really obvious.

There are already about 10000 presets in the database, most of them are not tagged. The good news is, I can now undo any tagging made by a given user within a given time frame, so I can allow public tagging without having to worry to much about people making a mess.

Actually I just found a bug, so I have uploaded a new version - please redownload if you got the file before reading this message.

Also, I just activated albino3 but since I don't own the synth, I can't upload presets or test it. If you have it, can you try to import a few presets ?

Just uploaded another build - fixing issues when using Rhino/RhinoCM with Zen in Live. I would love this one to be release V1 :)

Big Tick wrote:Done - and I've also added 2 more user sliders.

The latest beta is my intended public release. I will just wait 1 or 2 days for you guys to try it out before going public, just in case I would have missed something really obvious.

There are already about 10000 presets in the database, most of them are not tagged. The good news is, I can now undo any tagging made by a given user within a given time frame, so I can allow public tagging without having to worry to much about people making a mess.
Trying that offline trick seems to have backfired - I think I must have accidentally overwritten my database or something as now every plugin is showing zero except Kubik for some reason and Augur. Problem is I've reverted back to the default settings and gone on line on my laptop but it's not updating anything so I'm stuck. I can only see 29 presets right now.

I hadn't realised before but it seems to be impossible to even load a plugin if it has no presets showing - is that right?

2 more sliders is nice but at least in Kubik which is all I can load right now there are only 6 of them at do anything - how can they be activated for the plugin?

For some reason the one Augur preset I can see seems to be linked to Kubik's - when I click on Kubik it highlights Augur too.

UPDATE - decided to just uninstall it and reinstall using the new full installer. Same problem though - in the plugin list in Options it definitely says 857 presets for ACE etc etc but in the plugin list in the main screen they all say 0 (except when I select Kubik it says 29 and Augur 1). Online mode is on - I set bandwidth to high - I am online but it's just sitting there doing nothing!

OK, I tried the same thing and got the same problem. This is reassuring. More on this soon...

And no, you can't load a plugin until it shows at least 1 preset. You can drag/drop a fxp file into the list, though, to have 1 local preset for it.

Return to “Big Tick”