Can Shreddage 3 Stratos play scratches (as in playing funk Nile Rodgers style) ?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

event2020 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:37 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 am So muting with the fretting hand...I have just never heard it called scratching before...
That's not it - scratches are played inbetween the muted chords....
Ummm I think that you are having a laugh at my expense...
Not at all, I have heard plenty of people refer to it in different ways (and I would call it damping), but have never heard it called scratching.

Yes that's exactly what the choke articulation in Stratus is. It's the articulation which is marked with X in guitar tabs - the proper name is choke, not scratch.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 pm Yes that's exactly what the choke articulation in Stratus is. It's the articulation which is marked with X in guitar tabs - the proper name is choke, not scratch.
I have to disagree, I may not be able to play a guitar but I do know a few of the playing techniques.

Scratching happens AFTER the strings have been choked by the player scraping the pluck lightly over the strings in-between chords.

On guitar, damping (also referred to as choking) is a technique where, shortly after playing the strings, the sound is reduced by pressing the right hand palm against the strings, right hand damping (including palm muting), or relaxing the left hand fingers' pressure on the strings, left hand damping (or left-hand muting).

Scratching is where the strings are played while damped, i.e., the strings are damped before playing. The term presumably refers to the clunky sound produced. In funk music this is often done over a sixteenth note pattern with occasional sixteenths undamped.

The Jimmy Nolen stylee, 'chicken scratch' is what I think is meant..?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Nolen

event2020 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:07 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 pm Yes that's exactly what the choke articulation in Stratus is. It's the articulation which is marked with X in guitar tabs - the proper name is choke, not scratch.
I have to disagree, I may not be able to play a guitar but I do know a few of the playing techniques.

Scratching happens AFTER the strings have been choked by the player scraping the pluck lightly over the strings in-between chords.
You can call it that if you like, but the problem is that almost no one else does...

Forgotten wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 pm

You can call it that if you like, but the problem is that almost no one else does...
Utter rubbish - Google Guitar Scratching Technique....

It is a VERY well known technique used by many of the great guitarists from Hendrix to Nile Rodgers. It is so well know that it is a mainstay technique of funk playing.

Do you actually fully read someones post before answering - I have provided both text and audio descriptions of EXACTLY what scratching is.

Just because you have never heard of it and Evil thing-ma-gig thinks is it choking does not mean it is true.

The problem here, in this thread, is that you and Evil whats his name seem to want to score points rather than help some one. I would go as far as to proffer the suggestion that both of you have a problem with the fact that I am a non guitar player and that I am working in funk music rather that rock or metal.

Well I have news for you - Shreddage 3 Stratus is selling its self as a "funk" capable VSTi as well as rock, Futher more I posted in this thread as it is Impact Soundworks thread, it is the one they direct you to from their web site, in the hope that someone from Impact could offer some help. I did not post here to get into it with you or anyone who thinks they are clever or a KVR know-it-all.

You and Evil have not been any kind of help, if anything you do Impact Soundworks no credit as you are arguing with a potential new customer. And lord knows lets be honest, no company can afford to loose customers.

You and the other berk can come back with what ever comments you wish, I will not engage with either of you, I will not give you that satisfaction as you are not worth my time or effort.

Now IMPACT SOUNDWORKS, if you must send people to KVR from your web page (rather than actually providing even basic Customer Service and if you want my hard earned money then how about you actually try answering at least one of my questions.

event2020 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm
Forgotten wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Utter rubbish - Google Guitar Scratching Technique....

It is a VERY well known technique used by many of the great guitarists from Hendrix to Nile Rodgers. It is so well know that it is a mainstay technique of funk playing.

Do you actually fully read someones post before answering - I have provided both text and audio descriptions of EXACTLY what scratching is.

Just because you have never heard of it and Evil thing-ma-gig thinks is it choking does not mean it is true.

The problem here, in this thread, is that you and Evil whats his name seem to want to score points rather than help some one. I would go as far as to proffer the suggestion that both of you have a problem with the fact that I am a non guitar player and that I am working in funk music rather that rock or metal.

Well I have news for you - Shreddage 3 Stratus is selling its self as a "funk" capable VSTi as well as rock, Futher more I posted in this thread as it is Impact Soundworks thread, it is the one they direct you to from their web site, in the hope that someone from Impact could offer some help. I did not post here to get into it with you or anyone who thinks they are clever or a KVR know-it-all.

You and Evil have not been any kind of help, if anything you do Impact Soundworks no credit as you are arguing with a potential new customer. And lord knows lets be honest, no company can afford to loose customers.

You and the other berk can come back with what ever comments you wish, I will not engage with either of you, I will not give you that satisfaction as you are not worth my time or effort.

Now IMPACT SOUNDWORKS, if you must send people to KVR from your web page (rather than actually providing even basic Customer Service and if you want my hard earned money then how about you actually try answering at least one of my questions.
Dude. Don’t be a dick when people are trying to help. I’ve played that technique on guitar for years and never heard it called that, so I (and EvilDragon) was trying to help you ask the question the right way.

I’ll stop answering your questions as you seem to think you’re an expert at playing guitar despite the fact that you only use toy ones.

Just FYI, I have worked on Stratus and other S3 guitars as part of ISW.

What you showed in your audio example on soundcloud is what is called a choke, not a scratch. Scratch is something else entirely (where you take the pick and scratch along the string without any frets pressed), also sometimes referred to as pick scrape.

If the choke articulation doesn't work out for you, you can try using the palm mutes with the lowest velocity, which will play the tightest palm mute levels. Exactly as Andrew showed in the video with wah-wah chickas.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nomenclature schlomenclature. The technique is not known as scratching, but the overall style of guitar is known as 'scratch guitar', in the same way you'd have 'metal guitar' or 'indie guitar, encompassing a range of techniques.

I am a funkeh donkeh, on occasion..

Right, that's a bit semantical. It's not a scratch articulation, but it's "scratch guitar" style. I suppose not everyone would be aware of that term.

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:44 am Nomenclature schlomenclature. The technique is not known as scratching, but the overall style of guitar is known as 'scratch guitar', in the same way you'd have 'metal guitar' or 'indie guitar, encompassing a range of techniques.

I am a funkeh donkeh, on occasion..
Play that funkeh music white donks...

Return to “Impact Soundworks”