Can Shreddage 3 Stratos play scratches (as in playing funk Nile Rodgers style) ?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have watched every video I can find on youtube about Shreddage 3 Stratos and I do like what I hear but.... I want a Stratocaster guitar VST specifically for funk/disco in the playing style of Nile Rodgers.

He has a very special playing style (and tone) which is a mixture of staccato palm mutes alternating between muting the chord by relaxing his left hand on the strings, he often only plays 3 strings of a given chord, some times only the top two or three, other times just the middle, and importantly, he uses a lot to scratches which are tuned by what ever chord he is playing.

There are a couple of guitar VST's that have scratch articulations but regardless of the chord being played the scratch is just a standard noise - meaning it is not tuned - it just plays a standard scratch sound which, to me, is very obvious and completely un-natural.

So before I buy Stratos and get all excited, only to feel letdown because it does not do what I need - can you tell me if it can do everything that I have described?

If it can not then that's fair enough but I would just like to know :) :)

You would use the Choke articulation for that. Yes, it can do it.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:27 pm You would use the Choke articulation for that. Yes, it can do it.
Hi EvilDragon

I have downloaded and been auditioning the free version and I have just tried out your suggestion of a choke but it sounds nothing like a scratch, infact if I am honest it does not sound like a convincing choke either (for the funk style you need a stacatto followed by a palm mute).

To my ears a choke is more for rock than funk.

Why not check this out and see what you think? I wrote a demo track with funk strums. The strums start here (in context)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOTUqTTQ8E&t=6m39s

And here's where I show the chokes dry as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOTUqTTQ8E&t=9m37s
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Palm mute for funk usually involves a compressor, and the position of the heel of the hand would vary depending on which string is being played.

Not sure what you mean when you say “scratch”. Do you mean playing a chord dampened with the fretting hand?

Thank you for all of your replys which I really do appreciate.

Am I Allowed to post a small (5 or 10 second) sound clip here of exactly what I mean?

And if so do I need to host it somewhere so people can listen to it?

I do not want to break any rules :)

Yep, post away. You do need to host it somewhere, then you can embed the link in your post.

Ok here we go - This is Nile's guitar part from Le Freak - multitrack.
It's not warez or anything, 2016 Nile teamed up with UK Drum & Bass artist Rudimental to run a remix competition for anyone to remix the classic Le Freak. The full studio multitrack was made
available to those who registered so the stems are in the public domain.

This sound file is in 3 sections with a 1 second gap in between each section.

1st Section
Nile playing the main Chorus

2nd Section
Nile playing a long breakdown (on the original 12")

3rd Section
I have isolated just the 8th or 16th scratches Nile plays to illustrate that they are different to chokes.

Also, and I am no guitar player but having seen Nile live several times and watching his master class type videos on youtube when he palm mutes (to get his signature staccato) he actually kills the note dead, where as the choke in Stratos produces a sound.

I hope this sound example plays as I created a Soundcloud account specifically to play it.

https://soundcloud.com/kennyjaymes/guit ... le/s-rwpv0

So I am guessing that this is a no then?

Yet another guitar VST selling it's self as being suitable for Funk but is not able to do a basic funk articulation such as scratches and Barre Chords...

Did you watch my video / listen to my funk demo made with Stratus?
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

I still don't know what you mean by "scratches".

Forgotten wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:27 am I still don't know what you mean by "scratches".
Even in just the first 15 seconds of this video you can clearly see and understand what scratches are..
:) :) :) :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6JKyahHvGg

So muting with the fretting hand...I have just never heard it called scratching before...

zircon wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:43 am Did you watch my video / listen to my funk demo made with Stratus?
Hi Zircon

Many thanks for your reply and yes I have not only watched but downloaded your excellent video from youtube. I have carefully watched the funk section over and over trying to work out how you did it and it was your video that gave me hope and why I downloaded the free version of Stratos to see if I can do what I need to.

I found a demo project for Shreddage with a midi file called funkoland, is that yours?

Forgotten wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 am So muting with the fretting hand...I have just never heard it called scratching before...
That's not it - scratches are played inbetween the muted chords....
Ummm I think that you are having a laugh at my expense...
This is from a web page :)
One technique that is common to rhythm guitar is the use of string scratching.

This is where strings are cut off and damped, but instead of resting and floating over them, the strings are strummed, producing a scratching sound.

Perhaps the most well-known example of string scratching among guitar players is Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Child (Slight Return).”

Return to “Impact Soundworks”