Strumming problem Shreddage 3

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m really loving Shreddage 3 stratus, playing with all my amp sims & tweaking the tone is really fun. Especially using sound toys!

My problem is with the strumming performance. When I play a chord & then begging to strum with the two keys on the right I get a nice clean down up strum until S3 decides to switch the chord.

Using the key switch to switch to the other strum mode, I can’t hear the chords I play, although the strum is perfect, until I try to switch chords & then S3 will choke & I have to start the progression over.

I have always loved your software for the performance aspect. Do I need an update or something?

After you change the chord you need to press the strum key again, IIRC. When strumming mode is enabled, pressing keys in the blue playable range actually doesn't produce sound, it just tells the strumming engine which notes have to be played and the engine then finds the most correct voicing for the notes you have played.

So the poly input is not designed to switch chords while playing live? The video here shows "strumming mode" allows me to actually strum the chords live & the poly input allows me to hear the chord & strum that one chord but not change chords?

https://youtu.be/HmiJMotRFUc?t=483

Why are they separate? Having the option to strum & switch chords live would be perfect. Could this be in a future update?

You can switch chords in poly input mode (but, as in video, then you should have Strumming mode button disabled), do note that there's added latency when using this mode (which is required to figure out the proper voicing for the notes you've played).

If you have strumming mode enabled, though, then the above scenario applies, where you first press your notes, then use the the strumming keyswitches to trigger down/upstrokes. So to break it down, the blue area is then your left hand (doesn't make sound on its own), and strumming KS are your right hand (makes sound depending on which frets are chosen). I'm not sure if this is going to change in future versions, the strumming mode is designed to work like this for a reason.

Ok thanks, how can I get a chug sound when playing in strumming mode?

Just select that articulation with a keyswitch before you play one of strum keys?

Hi Rob,

EvilDragon glossed over this, but you can use poly input and strumming mode simultaneously. It's not intuitive, but you actually would turn Strumming Mode off.

The strumming keys and string picking keys still work when strumming mode is disabled. They will simply re-strum (and re-pick) the last known poly input voicing. In other words, you can play the voicing in left hand, it will do a poly input strum, then continue restrumming.

You should be holding down the sustain pedal in any strumming performance so that notes will not choke from releasing the strum keys, this way you get plenty of time to reposition your hands to play the next chord. If there is still choking when the chord changes, be sure the Release On section "Chord Change" Orange LED is disabled in the Performance page.

Finally, there is a way to hear the notes you play when strumming mode is on, and it is completely separate from poly input. Simply turn "Strum Audition" mode on and set it to "New Note". Every note you play in the blue range will play out loud. However the notes played here are not managed by the Shreddage 3 Fretboard algorithm, so they will not respond properly to things like legato, slide keys, etc.

P.S. Consider it is impossible for a guitarist to change chords and maintain a continuous sound. There have to be slight gaps between the chords, this is why we have the option to release on chord voicing change. But how good this effect is I suppose depends on your ability as a keyboard player.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”