FIVE New & Improved Shreddage 3 Instruments: Archtop, Rogue, Jupiter, Abyss, Serpent! (Upgrade/crossgrades available)

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm getting quite a bit of phasing when double tracking.

How are you setting up the double tracking?
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

First (and mainly) two instances, first instance set to guitar 1, second instance set to guitar 2.

I thought it was due to the fact that in parts, I'll have the left and right guitar playing something different (but in harmony with each other)

However, I then tested one instance set to Guitars 1 and 2 (stereo output) and it was phasing as well.

It seems like it happens more in specific parts (like maybe an articulation is triggering the phasing?) but I can't pinpoint anything.

"a bit of phasing".

Lucky you. Just heard Serpent with external cab loader (keFir) and i heard MASSIVE PHASING in certain points of the song.

Plus, same with other here, palm mutes seem to be very weak and unusable for metal.

Don't mean to be rude, but do you test your libraries accurately before selling them?

No offense taken because we test for months with a team of 10+, and Nabeel (the lead developer) personally wrote three metal demos with each of these guitars (Jewel's Serpent, Queen's Jupiter, Spirit's Rogue). I also personally spent plenty of time with each of them.

If you own the library then please send me a MIDI and audio example with phasing or with mute issues and we will investigate.

Otherwise, just writing that there are issues doesn't help us identify problems. There may be issues with your settings, library setup, etc.

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

i don't own the Serpent library, I tested it today with a friend that owns it and i have listened to your demos, they always sound perfect.

yes, there may be issue with me for the old trouble phasing problems I have with every Shreddage library I own, but as regards palm mutes we take the same midi with the same settings (amps, cabs, notes velocity etc) and tried it with Serpent and Shreddage SRP. Palm mutes in Serpent are weak, not comparable to palm mutes of SRP...we tought they've been made with 1X layer...

if there's a way to achieve the fullness of SRP mutes tell us, because without tweaking around strange parameters we don't know it's just not possible to create usable mutes for metal or extreme metal.

xphen0m wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:50 pm https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zq3KL ... zgswMK4C9C

Here's an audio example for each guitar in the same particular section. Along with the midi, an NKA for Shreddage 2 IBZ, and an snapshot for S3 Rogue. The difference is particularly noticeable in the second half of the clip.

It should be noted that the S2 MIDI is using split by MIDI channel.
OK. I spent about an hour diving into this. Here's what I found.

1. Turn off "Strum on Poly Input" on the Strum tab. Even if Poly Input is at 0, if you have simultaneous notes, this will trigger.

2. Go to TACT, turn the Mute OFFSET up to about 18ms. In IBZ, I (apparently) added a hidden offset on all mutes, so you want to replicate that here.

3. You're using Tightness in IBZ, but not in Rogue. So, try a value of maybe 40% for the Mute Tightness level.

4. Hit the Tables tab. Turn Sustain + Mute "Vel to Volume" down to about 9:00, this will match your IBZ setting. Then, set the "Mute Level" table right in the middle. We re-organized the mutes for consistency, and what was previously low-velocity in IBZ is now mid-velocity in IBZ. But for ease of use, just set the table 100% to the middle value.

5. On the Performance tab, your Shred offset/window is turned all the way up. Definitely just turn these BOTH to 0 for this pattern. It's not on in IBZ.

6. On the Advanced tab, your upstroke offset should now be more like 6ms to match IBZ. You can adjust this to taste.

7. You may also want to adjust the Sustain / Dynamic Layer table. This controls when the "Hard Sustain" sample will kick in, with the stronger string pull.

Now on top of all this, I did find two bugs (one already noted) related to the envelope and the LPF in Rogue, which we'll be patching. And again, the mute organization has changed which will cause some slight discrepancies between the two libraries given the same MIDI. In IBZ, different notes had different MIDI mapping of mute layers, whereas in the S3 series they are 100% consistent from note to note.

The slight darkness from LPF notwithstanding, I think these sound very close. You can continue to tweak offsets + tightness levels to taste.

https://impactsoundworks.com/audio/Rogue%20Clean.wav
https://impactsoundworks.com/audio/IBZ%20Clean.wav
https://impactsoundworks.com/audio/Rogue%20Dirty.wav
https://impactsoundworks.com/audio/IBZ%20Dirty.wav

In the next patch we will pre-adjust some of this stuff as a default, and make a new performance snapshot to get similar settings 'out of the box' ideal for fast chugging. We'll call it something like... "Fast Chugs".

Also just want to say thanks for providing us with the MIDI, snapshot data etc. Nabeel and I both drilled down here to look at EXACTLY what was happening on a sample level. We're very passionate & serious about making S3 the pinnacle of virtual guitar/bass instruments so any and all bugs, odd behavior (etc) will be addressed.

Trasher85 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:36 amif there's a way to achieve the fullness of SRP mutes tell us, because without tweaking around strange parameters we don't know it's just not possible to create usable mutes for metal or extreme metal.
The default patch is optimized for lead and harmony playing, which is why it does not perform like Shreddage 2 SRP with the same MIDI. It is set up this way because the focus of the new Shreddage 3 features was to maximally improve the sound and realism of leads and harmonies.

As zircon said, we will release a patch with a default configuration preset optimized for fast palm mute passages. This is really just a simple matter of setting sample offset by default for the mute articulations. It was not in there by default because for lead playing, the "pre-pick" noise (30 ms standard in all articulations) is essential for full note attacks.

Here is a simple comparison between no offset and 22ms of offset. All I have done is open Serpent, add about 30% Bite (to taste), select the Modern Metal 1 tone preset, and turned on the quad tracking. (EDIT: I have also turned off Poly Input, however that would not affect the sound of this render, it will simply shift everything forward in time by some ms)

https://soundcloud.com/pryzmusic/sets/s ... on/s-bZNPp

In my demo songs, I adjust the offset to taste based on the song tempo and the riff being played. So while we will adjust the default configuration, I encourage you to experiment with this parameter beyond the default setting as it can be a very powerful tool in shaping a performance.

@Zircon ... thanks pal, that "check list" will probably help fix a few of my current issues with S3 Rogue.
One way or another, you can't deny death.
Simply said...
We're dead but we just don't know it yet.

Alright, the new update is available for all guitars. Check out your account area:

https://impactsoundworks.com/my-account/updates/

We fixed the bugs mentioned here related to envelope + the Tone filter, also adjusted Shred offset behavior so it shouldn't affect palm mutes anymore, fixed some Split MIDI Channels stuff, adjusted the behavior of the Tightness knob to better match S2, and added the "Metal Rhythm" snapshot in the Styles folder!

Thanks zircon.

I sent you guys an e-mail last night. I have no coupon to do the upgrade from S2 to Jupiter for $20. I own S2 and it is in my account.

edit: it's sorted. :)

zircon wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:09 pm Alright, the new update is available for all guitars. Check out your account area:

https://impactsoundworks.com/my-account/updates/

We fixed the bugs mentioned here related to envelope + the Tone filter, also adjusted Shred offset behavior so it shouldn't affect palm mutes anymore, fixed some Split MIDI Channels stuff, adjusted the behavior of the Tightness knob to better match S2, and added the "Metal Rhythm" snapshot in the Styles folder!
This is excellent news!!
My only complaint is... why on earth (but you are not the only one editor with this issue) do we receive emails to announce new products to buy, but are never informed when updated are available?
I had to check this forum to be informed...
Will test it once downloaded and give my impressions!

Woohoo!! I just had 2 minutes before leaving... but I tried the Metal Rhythm, I don't know what it does... but it totally suits my needs!! Thankks !!!

We're working on a better system of notifications now. As it is, you can check your account area anytime to view updates.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”