Shreddage 3 Stratus: AVAILABLE NOW!

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:08 am Pitch bend on harmonics definitely works over here with your MIDI file just fine.
Hmm... which DAW are you using? I am using SO4 over here.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Reaper here. But Nabeel (head scripter at ISW) uses SO4 and he did use this trick there just fine - it's in the trailer demo, you can clearly hear the bends on harmonics in a couple of places.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:32 pm Reaper here. But Nabeel (head scripter at ISW) uses SO4 and he did use this trick there just fine - it's in the trailer demo, you can clearly hear the bends on harmonics in a couple of places.
What version of Kontakt are you using? I believe I am using v5.8.1.

Have there been any newer scripts and/or samples since I downloaded the initial release of Stratus?
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Works in any version from K5.7 onwards. There have been no updates to the script or product since release.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:58 pm Works in any version from K5.7 onwards. There have been no updates to the script or product since release.
Is it possible to export a complete preset from Stratus? Would you be willing to share one of your presets that works well with vibrato and harmonics?

I just loaded the default patch that the library comes with... it all works straight up.

BTW, I am talking about pitch bend events - not CC #1 or aftertouch which triggers vibrato (emulated or sampled, whatever is selected). You would need to manually emulate vibrato with pitch bend events.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:42 pm I just loaded the default patch that the library comes with... it all works straight up.

BTW, I am talking about pitch bend events - not CC #1 or aftertouch which triggers vibrato (emulated or sampled, whatever is selected). You would need to manually emulate vibrato with pitch bend events.
Ohhhhhhhhhh... I now understand what you were describing. :dog: You were suggesting that I simulate the vibrato on the harmonic sample (by aggressively oscillating back-and-forth the pitch bend controller). I think that particular technique for performing vibrato had fallen out of usage for me some time ago (I seem to recall lacking the skills to yield decent sounding results whether it be by performing real-time pitch-bend vibrato with my MIDI controller, or manually editing pitch bend events in my old primary DAW).

While Vibrato Mode was set to "Emulated" on the Articulations page, playback of manually drawn 100% bend & releases did not seem to change the pitch at all of those harmonics in the last two bars of that four-bar clip; if you listen to that rendered MP3 file I attached, you will hear what I mean.

To leverage pitch bend events to modulate the harmonic samples, does it matter to the Stratus script which articulation method is being used to trigger the harmonic samples (e.g. velocity value; key switch)? I believe I was using the F#0 key switch, although I cannot recall if there were any velocity ranges also enabled for the Harmonics articulation.

F#0 will by default change to harmonics articulation, but for this to work it doesn't matter how you trigger this articulation through TACT. Pitch bend messages will work on most articulations.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:59 am F#0 will by default change to harmonics articulation, but for this to work it doesn't matter how you trigger this articulation through TACT. Pitch bend messages will work on most articulations.
I used the "Draw Sine Wave" and "Draw Transform" tools of SO4 to create the pitch bend events. The slew of pitch bend events that were created by the tools did indeed simulate rapid vibrato for the harmonic notes; however, the overall effect still sounded poor. I tried to improve the sound by raising by an octave, the pitch of the MIDI notes that were paired with the F#0 keyswitch MIDI event. While the octave transposition did improve the effect a bit, a convincing pick harmonic sound was still not being conveyed; harmonics that lack "growl" or "squeal" just do not sound proper to me for high-gain amplified guitar.

Do you have any other tips to make the Stratus stock harmonic articulation sound better in a lead guitar lick?

Not really, that's about as far as you can get it going. That's why I said "in a jiffy". It's a stopgap solution :)

Listen to "The Third Destiny" demo from Stratus product page, you can hear this exact trick with the harmonics articulation in that one.

"Strum on Poly Input" works fine, and of course I understand how it works. I am just not sure about what the "Strumming Mode" actually does. In the manual (yes I read it :hihi: ) it says:

"When strumming mode is turned ON, playable range notes no longer result in sound
playback. Instead, the fretboard algorithm will visually display the most recent notes held together (up to the number of available strings), re-calculating the shown voicing on every new note to select the best and most natural way to play the chord. This voicing is stored in perpetuity, so all string picks and strum triggers with act on this voicing."

Is there a better way to explain that? Does it mean it is like Chord Memory on some synth plugins, where it stores how you play a chord? I was trying it out after reading that section of the manual and wasn't sure how it worked. If I want it to change to another voicing from my last one I had been using, do I have to start over and play another chord while it is enabled? If that's not what its for, then what is the best use scenario for it?

Strumming mode takes your input notes and finds the best fingering for those notes so that they fit in the hand size, etc., then you use strum keyswitches to strum up/down all strings or partially. If you want to change to a different voicing you'd need to play the notes of that different voicing - we don't have voicing database built in, yet, but I'm pretty sure it will eventually be added.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:08 pm Strumming mode takes your input notes and finds the best fingering for those notes so that they fit in the hand size, etc., then you use strum keyswitches to strum up/down all strings or partially. If you want to change to a different voicing you'd need to play the notes of that different voicing - we don't have voicing database built in, yet, but I'm pretty sure it will eventually be added.
Great, thank you for the explanation. :tu:

Do you have 'The Third Destiny' promo file in flp. format?

Scara wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 pm Do you have 'The Third Destiny' promo file in flp. format?
Attached is a MIDI 1 file dump of the Third Destiny song file containing all of the MIDI events from the song; you will still have to re-assign/re-map various instruments, events, and channels yourself. Even if you had been provided with a compatible DAW project file, you would still be limited with what you can do to recreate the performance you heard in the Stratus demo, because in order to load up properly in your DAW, the Third Destiny demo project file requires (independent of Stratus) a number of commercial third party virtual instruments, sound libraries, and plug-ins that you may not have at your disposal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”