Shreddage 2 SRP takes a LOOOOONG time to initialize

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using the latest version in the latest version of Kontakt, and SRP has been doing this since I got it months ago, which is why I almost never use it. When I first load the NKI into Kontakt 5, it takes upwards of 5 to 7 minutes to initialize. Any time I load it after that, it loads instantly. Until I restart my computer.

I've tried resaving the NKI, but that did not work. I do not have this problem with any of the other Impact Soundworks libraries. Any help is appreciated.

Are you on Windows? If so, in your antivirus AND in Windows Defender, make sure to add a file extension exclusion for NCW and WAV.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Yes, I am on Windows. Windows 10 64bit.

So I just tried to add the exclusion for NCW and WAV but the problem persisted. It's just strange that S2 *SRP* is the only Kontakt instrument that gives me this issue.

Try deleting all NKC files in the Samples folder, then do a batch resave. Then restart and see what happens from cold boot. If it persists, perhaps your hard drive is really really fragmented and needs defragging? If you have this on SSD and it still happens, well, that's no good either, because the SSD might be breaking down slowly (or you have EVO 840 which has known slowdown issues and should go for EVO 850).

The files are stored on a brand new Western Digital HDD, barely used, only a few months old. This same exact pattern was also happening on my old HDD prior to me replacing it with the new one.

Did you try deleting the NKC files and doing batch resave?

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Last night, I tried that. Unfortunately, that did not work.

I'm going to try completely reinstalling both Shreddage libraries a little later today. Maybe something's messed up with some config file somewhere. S2 doesn't give me this problem, however, only SRP.

xphen0m wrote:The files are stored on a brand new Western Digital HDD, barely used, only a few months old. This same exact pattern was also happening on my old HDD prior to me replacing it with the new one.
try putting the library on a SSD or a flash drive, see if that helps.
That's what I did with my Shreddage libraries (put'em on a flash drive) and the loading times are much faster.
One way or another, you can't deny death.
Simply said...
We're dead but we just don't know it yet.

I figured this out a couple of days ago. Basically what was happening was a similar problem that I was having with Cubase 8.5. Upon trying to load S2 SRP or Cubase 8.5, Windows' Antimalware Service Executable was doing something with them, probably scanning them. I have no idea what it was doing, honestly. But you can find lots of reports of this process slowing things down on computers across the world.

So simply: I added an exception for Cubase, all NKI files, and also Sonar and now all is right with the world. :)

Aha! Yes, that is a nasty problem with such software...

Old thread but it saved my life... almost. I added the following exclusions:
- "Reaper" as a process
- the full path to Reaper.exe
- nki files
So now Shreddage loads faster, way faster, but every time I open Reaper it takes a long time and in the Task Manager I see the Antimalware service's CPU use go up. I have W10 Pro, so I'm temporarily disabling real-time protection while my Reaper project is loading. But I don't want to find the right policy every time I want to start my DAW, do you have other suggestions? Am I missing something, how can I exclude Reaper completely from the antimalware thing? Or, last resort, how can I create a shortcut/bookmark to get to the right policy in gpedit?
Thanks!

OK, I did it. I don't know which of these two options helped, but I'll leave them to help others and help myself if and when I forget what I just did:
- In Virus and Threat Protection > V&T Settings > Exclusions I added Reaper.exe as a process (I also added "reaper" (no extension) as a process and the reaper.exe file with full path as a file, but that didn't work).
- In gpedit I went to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Exclusions and enabled and edited Process Exclusions by adding Reaper.exe as value name and 0 as the value.

OK, never mind, I just made a test and you don't have to mess with gpedit.
Cheers

My songs were taking a long time to load in Studio One too and adding it to V&T exclusions worked as well...just a tip... i wonder how many people get put off by this issue and stop using S2, hopefully not many

As of the S3 series, all our guitars are in monolithic NKX without tons of small NCW files. That should significantly help things. :-)

Return to “Impact Soundworks”