Shreddage 2 Pinch Harmonic Bug

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been writing some metal tracks for the purpose of learning the Shreddage 2 VST. While working on this, when using pinch harmonics, I've noticed that LOTS of notes don't always play the same harmonic. Essentially, it appears that one of the notes in the set of Round Robins, isn't the right note. If I play a harmonic on C4 (as listed in the manual), which happens to be C6 in FL Studio, I don't always get the same note. Try pasting 12 harmonics in a row, all the same note: C4, or FL Studio's C6, then hit play and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

This also happens on TONS of other notes, and I've only noticed it on the pinch harmonics. None of the non-harmonic notes seem to be wrong. Please tell me this is a fixable thing.

Since FL Studio's range is listed as C0 - B10, I'll list the notes I found this problem with:

A#4, B4, C5, C#5, D5, D#5, E5, G#5, A5, B5, C6, C#6, D6, D#6, F7, F#7, C#8, D8

The problem is bad enough that it throws whole sections out of tune when the "off version" is played.

Here's an MP3 of the bug(just a C6 pinch harmonic played over and over again):
http://www.mediafire.com/?i5xgm9hcflvat5h

Hmm. I thought we caught this in beta testing. It's true that we did not have uniform pinch harmonics, we basically just took the best takes and tried to make them as consistent as possible. The thought was that most people would use them periodically for emphasis/effect, in which case the specific harmonic of the note isn't super important. We also DID do a pass of cleaning out samples that were not consistent with the others.

That being said, it sounds like something we should do as an audio update when we can. However because it is not inexpensive to do an audio update via NI we'll need to gather more feedback and make sure we're not missing anything else first.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

zircon wrote:Hmm. I thought we caught this in beta testing. It's true that we did not have uniform pinch harmonics, we basically just took the best takes and tried to make them as consistent as possible. The thought was that most people would use them periodically for emphasis/effect, in which case the specific harmonic of the note isn't super important. We also DID do a pass of cleaning out samples that were not consistent with the others.

That being said, it sounds like something we should do as an audio update when we can. However because it is not inexpensive to do an audio update via NI we'll need to gather more feedback and make sure we're not missing anything else first.
I attempted once to use them melodically in a climatic lead line, which failed because of this.

A decent work around is to play super high pitch notes and apply pitch bend and heavy vibrato like crazy and you get basically the same sound (at least when buried in a mix :lol: )

Hello,
sorry to bring back this very old post, but I seem to have the samme issue with Shreddage 2 v3.21

Has this been fixed / am I doing something wrong or is the problem still there?

Thanks

As we port this to the Shreddage 3 engine we will try to implement a fix using offline tuning to generate samples.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Hi zircon,
thanks for your answer!

I just got v2 so I was hoping this would have been fixed for it as well, but will be getting v3 at some point so that's good news :) overall I'm very happy with it so far! I also appreciate this one is not an easy one to fix.

This might not make sense, but I was wondering if it would also be possible to just remove / prevent from playing the ones that are off tune instead?

It's easier to offline retune them so they sound proper :)

:tu: nice one, thanks!

Return to “Impact Soundworks”