How to Break Up a Long Chord?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Consider this picture:

RC How to Insert a Chord Q1.jpg

How can I terminate the Bb7 chord and cause it to be followed by a new chord in measure 7 and another new chord in measure 8?

I hate to ask questions that surely seem very basic to others who have long passed this point, but after 20+ minutes of attempting something that "should be" obvious and take but a moment, I'm afraid there's a paradigm at work here that I'm just not going to stumble over w/o asking.

FWIW, in all my other DAWs, I'd simply be invoking the scissors tool, cutting the Bb7 block into the desired sections, and typing in the desired new chords.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

While I'm on the subject of chord entry -

Is it possible in RC to select a chord cell, type in a (new) desired chord, then advance to the next chord cell (without taking my hands off of the keyboard) and type in the next chord, etc.

IOW, ala chord entry in Band in a Box (for anyone who knows that)?

sj1 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 pm Hi,

Consider this picture:

RC How to Insert a Chord Q1.jpg

How can I terminate the Bb7 chord and cause it to be followed by a new chord in measure 7 and another new chord in measure 8?

I hate to ask questions that surely seem very basic to others who have long passed this point, but after 20+ minutes of attempting something that "should be" obvious and take but a moment, I'm afraid there's a paradigm at work here that I'm just not going to stumble over w/o asking.

FWIW, in all my other DAWs, I'd simply be invoking the scissors tool, cutting the Bb7 block into the desired sections, and typing in the desired new chords.
Hem... Double click on the name of the chord ? (in fact anywhere in the measure, as long as it is on the Master Track line showing the chord names)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:56 pm Double click on the name of the chord ? (in fact anywhere in the measure, as long as it is on the Master Track line showing the chord names)
Yup! Thank you!

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

sj1 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:33 pm While I'm on the subject of chord entry -

Is it possible in RC to select a chord cell, type in a (new) desired chord, then advance to the next chord cell (without taking my hands off of the keyboard) and type in the next chord, etc.

IOW, ala chord entry in Band in a Box (for anyone who knows that)?
It is a bit tedious, indeed, but there is a simple way to do (I think Attila could improve it):
  1. Prepare a number of measures by clicks as I showed you above. Don't mind the chords which are automatically created, they can be any chords given that they will be more correctly set by yourself in the procedure below.
  2. Now do a left click (single click, not double click) on the first one of these measures you just prepared.
  3. A little popup group appears, with several tools symbols in blue circles.
  4. Click the circle which shows a computer keyboard (the circle which is at the north-east in that little group of symbols).
  5. A text box appears.
  6. In that text box, name the chords you want to have as progression, simply with a space as separator between them. Myself I do that way... but preparing my progression in a text editor then copy-pasting it in that little text box, it is way easier.
  7. Then confirm by Enter.
I agree that Attila could improve the creation of a free chord progression by the computer keyboard. The best would be to enter these chord names as it is simply done when typing on-the-fly contents of cells in a row of Excel or of Winword, using TAB and Shift-TAB to go forward or backward (exactly as you suggested, actually).
:D

Yes, as BlackWinny suggests. You can also Alt-click on the chords which does not open the popup group to split the chord.

In the text box you can press Tab after you typed the chord name, which jumps to the next chord.

Very good. Thank you kindly BlackWinny and Attila!

Being in that text-box-entry mode and using Tab/Shift-Tab while in it works pretty directly.

RC Text Box for Chords 01.jpg

I would suggest adding a 4th line to the instructions there:
"Use Tab/Shift-Tab to go to next/prior chord"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sj1 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:35 pm I would suggest adding a 4th line to the instructions there:
"Use Tab/Shift-Tab to go to next/prior chord"
I fully agree !... Because after years of use I had never been aware that TAB/Shift-TAB was already implemented in this feature ! Ah Ah !

Return to “MusicDevelopments”