Can windows be detached?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

Can a separate window in RC be detached (dragged outside the main window)?

For example, the Structure window in this picture:

RC Structure Window.jpg

I would like to drag it out of the main window, if possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It's a setting.. All this covered in the user manual videos.. btw..

OK, thanks, I'll look around for it.

BTW, working thu the videos takes alot of time, and it is happening, but slowly. No doubt there will be questions along the way ...

I'm led to comment further, because a) the Settings tabs themselves in RC are not text searchable, b) the only potentially relevant entry I was able to find in the Wiki (which at least is text searchable) was:
Open Browsers In Separate Window: The browsers can be opened in a window which can be dragged outside of the main application window.
So I set that, but the Structure window still does not detach (cannot be dragged outside the main window).

Ultimately, there is another setting (not mentioned in the Wiki): Open Inspectors in Separate Window. This did the trick for the Structure Window.

RC Inspectors and Browsers 02.jpg

So, that's practically pure trial-and-error for the user here, even after a bit of forum encouragement to "keep looking, it's in there".

Aside from updated Wiki content and a (wishfully) text-searchable Settings page, my suggestion would be to add further info to the settings page to make clear what windows are the Browsers and what windows are the Inspectors.

Obviously if you've already read the appropriate precursors that information can be known. That being the case in general, however, would be a major assumption, contrary to how most users encounter most software most of the time (IMO).

So, I leave the answer to my own question here in case it helps someone else later. Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Settings tab > Miscellaneous under Inspectors and Browsers -- check mark the 4 check boxes.
You may have to restart RC for it to take effect.

Yea, the videos will take some time to get through. RC has that much going on. My apologies, it isn't a program that completely intuitive, and I was in your place as well, confused and wanting to use it right out the box.

RC has a lot of room for improvement as well, so, your experience with it actually does help. It's easy for development to forget about the perception from a new user. (I'm not part of development btw, I just beta test and report what I find)

Right, there are some menus that cannot be made separate windows. The structure inspector is one example.
I am thinking to dock a unified browser panel at the right side of the workspace. At the top you could select a tab (Phrases, Chords, Scale, Progressions, Track Templates, etc) depending on which browser you want to work with. Does this sound like a good idea? I am asking because I don't want to spend time on features nobody would use...

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:24 pm Right, there are some menus that cannot be made separate windows. The structure inspector is one example.
I am thinking to dock a unified browser panel at the right side of the workspace. At the top you could select a tab (Phrases, Chords, Scale, Progressions, Track Templates, etc) depending on which browser you want to work with. Does this sound like a good idea? I am asking because I don't want to spend time on features nobody would use...
Hi Attila! I'm not clear on your meaning. The Structure inspector looks pretty separate to me (now that I've checked the needed boxes).

RC Main plus Structure 01.jpg

Or is the Structure window shown not the "structure inspector"?

-- Deleted double posting --

Aah, I see, I was wrong about the Structure Inspector! Sorry for misleading you.

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:24 pm I am thinking to dock a unified browser panel at the right side of the workspace.
This is a great idea. :tu:

Thank you, horsma!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”