5000 (+32,000) chord progressions from RC rules

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edit: Full pack here https://drive.google.com/open?id=18vCV7 ... BjZzxiJUX2

Here are 5376 4 bar chord progressions generated from RC's Pop major scale rules. They are categorised in folders by the first chord.

On windows I installed the folder under C:\Users\[name]\Documents\RapidComposerV3\DB\Pop Common\DB - not sure if it works in any other location or how it works on Mac. Maybe someone on a Mac can say?

Is there another way to host this file? At the moment it is on my Google drive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N3kzQ ... NzCMXfBqOl

Edit: post title
Edit: Added pack
Last edited by SmallToes on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

here are 248 4 bar Jazz Major chord progressions generated from the Jazz Major rules file by user forrestlong on this thread viewtopic.php?t=430198

Organised in folders by the first chord. I had trouble with the slash chords so I named them Slash.

Thanks to MusicDevelopments and Yellukhan for the ideas and the great RC community.

Jazz From Rules.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Just realised there is a problem with 9 chords. RC does not seem to recognise them.

Code: Select all

#Chord Progression Database
#format: name=<name>; chords=<list of chords with short names>;
name="iim9 - iiim9 - iim9 - iiim9"; chords="iim9","iiim9","iim9","iiim9"; lengths=1024,1024,1024,1024;

Maybe Attila can tell me what I have done wrong?

Here RC sees the 11 on the V but not on the IIm and does not see the 9 chord

#Chord Progression Database
#format: name=<name>; chords=<list of chords with short names>;
name="iim11 - V11 - iiim9 - iim11"; chords="iim11","V11","iiim9","iim11"; lengths=1024,1024,1024,1024;
Edit: fixed typpo, added code

Wow!
massive work / share! Thank you!

Thanks to you yellukhan. Your work is very inspiring.

Not much work really, once the "process and algorithm" has been sorted out you can simply point the software at a rule set and generate chord progressions. This morning I generated 700,000 8 bar progressions but I think that is too many for one lifetime. :D

Here are another 32,369 "follow" chord progressions. The idea is to take the last chord of your progression and then add another 4 bars based on the rules.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UOk6U_ ... sp=sharing 7M file

I think I am pushing RC very hard. RC crashed when it loaded these follow progressions for the first time. And maybe related but I am having problems with the LocalSeq function for the first time as I loaded these progressions. I have reinstalled the RC Demo 3 times this morning to get the LocalSeq working again.

Cheers!

Man!
life time ?
Sun has billion years more they says,
i am sure eventually all them will get used collectively by human race :D
me, have to find how to use them effectively -especially in the Idea Tool- first..
already started to dig in happily.

but .. but ..
sake of sanity how did you create and save that 700 000 if "not much work really" ?
is there is hidden batch creator that i miss in the RC ?

Thanks again!
Cheers!

Hi yellukhan

I was thinking too that 700,000 chord progressions was possibly every chord progression in human history and now that we have done that we can pack up and go home. :D

For the idea tool one column of Progressions is not enough I think. Would be ideal to have another column for the follow progressions and make "rules based" long progressions over 8 bars length. Maybe Attila can think if this is worth the effort.

No hidden batch in RC. I just read the rules file (it is just a text file) and convert it to a two-column csv file, then import the csv file into a database, then make a SQL query and then with C# Visual Studio step through the SQL Query and write out the progression files to folders. Very simple query. Using very old software from 2000.

Oooops :o It was 7 million not 700K :D I have not "saved" this query as 7 million progression files. It sits in my database until one day when I have enough courage and strong enough to push the button. :wink:

Also RC is acting funny and crashing with 35,000 progression files. Not sure if we are meant to put this many chord progressions into RC. Maybe some memory leak when all progression files are read upon RC opening.

Cheers!

Hi yellukhan

I made another rar file of the 5376 4 bar chord progressions for the Idea Tool - no folders in this one. So it should make copy paste into idea tool easier.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16CFZT ... rx5bnrd6Gn

Cheers!

ugh! 7 million .. universe yes but the sun don't think so :P

thanks for the details about creating process, to me its like quantum mathematics though :hihi:

ah!
i meant how to use them properly with borrowed chords
(and new "followed" pack too)
inside the arrangement and also in Idea Tool while chaining them,
making it harmonically enjoyable with new mix of progressions..

but thank you so much for your thoughtful generosity!

BTW. same here too .. loading "follow pack" takes really long on every first run of RC

Cheers!

EDIT:

removed 32 000 pack for now
also replaced 5 000 with the no folder version..

Thank you again!

Hi SmallToes,

Thanks for sharing the progressions! Well done! :tu:

I will host the uploaded files on www.musicdevelopments.com.
I'll check how RC handles importing that many progressions. Maybe importing them is not really needed since RC can create any of these 7 million progressions? It can even add borrowed chords which make them more interesting.
What is the advantage of using the generated chords as opposed to using "Generate Progression Based On Rule" in the idea tool?

The most urgent for me is to check why some 9th and 11th chords are not imported correctly.
Thanks!
Attila

:idea: A tip: you don't have to have each progression in its own file. This slows down loading them one by one. An .rcCHPR file can include many progressions.
You can include a 'group' attribute for each progression, like

group=Major Scale Formulas;

SmallToes wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:47 am Just realised there is a problem with 9 chords. RC does not seem to recognise them.
Right, there was a bug when lower case letters were used (e.g. ii, iii) which always resulted a minor chord. It is fixed now. v3.82 will arrive next week.

Thanks for reporting it!
Attila

what a great marketing idea! "can create over 7 million progressions.." hehe

Hi, I´m always looking for fresh, inspiring chord progressions.
Can this progressions only be loaded in RC? Or are this just midi files which can be dragged and dropped in any DAW?

Hi enCiphered,

These are for RC only, in a simple text format, so not MIDI files.
However you can create/generate interesting chord progressions with borrowed chords using any scales in RC, and drag the resulting chords to a DAW.
It is possible to make a chords track with perfectly voice-led chords for a single keystroke, that always reflects the master track, whatever chords you generated.

Thanks,
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”