Chord based phrases v. Scale based phrases

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was importing a nice midi progression into RC and in the process learned something I want to share. The midi file was an 8 bar EDM progression consisting mostly of single chords played over single measures. When I imported the midi file, the "convert" box option was set to "Chord+"
RC interpreted most of the phrases perfectly, recognizing the correct chords for each measure/phrase.

BUT .............. one of the phrase/measures was interpreted as 3 different chords contained within one single measure. So the master track had 3 different chords in one single measure.
I really liked the phrase and wanted to save it to phrase browser. However, unless you correctly entered the three chords into the single measure on the master track, the phrase would not play correctly.

The solution to this eluded me at first, but I figured out that I needed to convert the phrase into a scale-based phrase, as opposed to a chord-based phrase. Once I did that, I was able to drag the phrase into RC and it played perfectly regardless of the Master Track chords/harmony. What was even better, was that I discovered that I could copy the phrase to the next measure and drag the whole phrase up by steps and I obtained some really nice sequences.

Concerting a chord-based phrase to a scaled-based phrase was really tricky because when you open the phrase in the phrase editor, the notes are misinterpreted because the phrase editor is capable of using only one chord for interpretation.

I ended up just entering the notes one by one with the main window set on "Note Edit"

If anyone knows a better way, I would love to hear it.

Hi robberg,
robberg wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:24 pm Concerting a chord-based phrase to a scaled-based phrase was really tricky because when you open the phrase in the phrase editor, the notes are misinterpreted because the phrase editor is capable of using only one chord for interpretation.
Yes, exactly, that is the reason.
robberg wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:24 pm I ended up just entering the notes one by one with the main window set on "Note Edit"
If anyone knows a better way, I would love to hear it.
There is an easier way: you can convert a whole phrase to 'absolute' or chord/scale-relative form either in the Phrase Inspector or using keyboard shortcuts.
You'll find "Restore to absolute notes" in the phrase inspector. When you press that, a "Convert To Relative Form" button appears where you can select "Scale Note Relative".

It is faster to use shortcuts. After selecting the phrase, press 'A' to convert to absolute notes, then press '1' to convert the phrase to scale relative form. You can check the usable keyboard shortcuts under Settings / Keyboard Shortcuts.
Please note there are 2 obsolete keyboard shortcuts in the settings; I just realized this. They work, but ''Chord Notes+semitones" and "Bass Note+semitones" is considered obsolete.

You can color the notes in the track to display chord notes as green, scale notes as blue.

Thanks,
Attila

so awesome! I have this problem as well. I import a lot of stuff that we record here and RC wouldn't quite get it right. Never tried to figure it out as most of the time the performance was intended to be broken apart anyways. It is nice though, to have the performance loaded in correctly, as most would want it that way.. hehe

I'd like to use this tip in a video..

Ok, this is a problem I just found.. The midi import tab doesn't get the import right, but, following the steps above does. On the import page, after you have loaded and analysed the midi only does the option to use scale notes appears. By then, RC has already created the progression, as seen at the bottom of that page..

a quick way to replicate this is, if you have something like EZ keys, create a progression in that, drag it out somewhere, folder, desktop, etc. Then compare the imports.. you can drag directly into RC and use the steps above, then try it with the midi import page. Probably what I would recommend is not use the midi import tab.. It is much faster just to drag into RC.

Thanks so much Attila for this solution and for such a fast response. I have a Stream Deck, which lets you create Macro buttons that execute keystroke commands, and then give the button a name and/or icon. It capable of creating about 250 of these one-button macros, with its nested menus. I try to create a profile for RapidComposer and share it. I learned about this gizmo through using Sibelius. Someone created a profile for that program, and they sell it for about $30.

Thank you, robberg, I did not know about Stream Deck.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”