Scales

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How are the scales utilized?..I tried dragging and dropping from the list of scales to the master track and nothing happens. For example, say I want to use the Hirojoshi scale from the list of scales, how do I go about doing that? Thanks
MacOS 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Studio One 4.6
Rapid Composer, Orb Composer

Whoops nevermind, I figured it out
Studio One 4.6

It is not possible to drag and drop scales because you would need a base note for the scale.
It is best to select the scales in the master track inspector.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

musicdevelopments wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:55 pm It is not possible to drag and drop scales because you would need a base note for the scale.
It is best to select the scales in the master track inspector.
Hmm... what if when dragging a scale type from the Scales palette to the master track, Rapid Composer simply uses the base note that is already active at that location on the master track (when applicable), otherwise it simply uses the default base note which is defined globally in the wrench/spanner tab of the Composition Structure dialog window?

This would allow a user to try out different scales/modes for the same root key.

For example, if the master track is already defined to be A Minor, and the Harmonic Major scale type is drag & dropped on it, then the base note of that part on the master track remains as A, but the scale type changes from the Minor scale to the Harmonic Major scale.

It would also allow BluGene's tutorial videos discussing the functionality of each of the palette browsers to be more consistent (currently the Scale palette browser seems like the "odd-one-out"). :wink:
Last edited by tonedef71 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Yes, this sounds logical... But drag-and-drop is very slow sometimes, slower than clicking on 'A Minor' and then clicking on 'Harmonic Minor'. But if you have to look up the scale from the menu in sub-menus, drag-and-drop becomes quicker.

musicdevelopments wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:57 pm Yes, this sounds logical... But drag-and-drop is very slow sometimes, slower than clicking on 'A Minor' and then clicking on 'Harmonic Minor'. But if you have to look up the scale from the menu in sub-menus, drag-and-drop becomes quicker.
The drag & drop method from the floating palette could be slower at times (when compared with another available means of accomplishing the same task), but it just may better suit the workflow for some folks. The precedent for RC providing more than one way to accomplish the same task already exists, and drag & drop operations from a browser palette also exist already in RC. To tell you the truth, it actually feels counter-intuitive that the Scales browser palette has no drag & drop purpose.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:21 pm
musicdevelopments wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:57 pm Yes, this sounds logical... But drag-and-drop is very slow sometimes, slower than clicking on 'A Minor' and then clicking on 'Harmonic Minor'. But if you have to look up the scale from the menu in sub-menus, drag-and-drop becomes quicker.
The drag & drop method from the floating palette could be slower at times (when compared with another available means of accomplishing the same task), but it just may better suit the workflow for some folks. The precedent for RC providing more than one way to accomplish the same task already exists, and drag & drop operations from a browser palette also exist already in RC. To tell you the truth, it actually feels counter-intuitive that the Scales browser palette has no drag & drop purpose.
I understand how it works with the master track now...but yes, originally, upon finding the scales tab for the first time, my immediate impression was to drag and drop from the list over to the master track.

I would suggest maybe there doesn't need to be two different ways to do the same task but but maybe get rid of both and combine the two ideas for a more streamlined common sense way for a future version of RC. Maybe click the scale in the master track and the entire scale list automatically pops up...(instead of how it is now where you have to click "other" to pop up the unlisted scales)...and when you find the one you want you just drag and drop to the master track.

Also, the idea about being able to scroll through various scales and the notes in the timeline automatically "apply notes to scale" sounds very useful.
Last edited by alienaircraftmusic on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studio One 4.6

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking about the same: somehow using the scale browser (which is filterable) instead of the long submenus for scale selection. I will soon rework chord and scale selection.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”