Is there a way to use CC1 to control dynamics of a VST instrumen track?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My VST uses CC1 and CC11 for dynamics and expression control for long notes. Can I create a lane to use CC1 on a track? Can I create a second lane to use CC11?

I know I can export the MIDI from RC to my DAW and work on the dynamics there, but I really want to be able to do that with RC. Even better would be the ability to store the dynamics information along with the phrase for recall later.

Possible? Thank you so much for any suggestions.

Yes, this is possible.
First set a 'controller set' for the track in the track inspector. It is 'General MIDI' by default which includes most MIDI CC's.

Then you need to add MIDI CC #1 and #11 to the track. On the MIDI controllers page in the track inspector click on the 'Add...' button and add Modulation (CC#1) and Expression (CC#11) to the list:

To add a lane below the track, click on the small envelope icon:

If you right click inside the automation lane, you'll find many interesting tools for editing MIDI CC's:

I am working on the ability to store MIDI CC's in phrases and notes.

Thanks,
Attila

Brilliant...thank you for the detailed and precise answer.

Hello again,
I think I have it, but I wanted to run this past you to make sure this is what you meant. Does this screenshot look correct? One of the options when you right-click is to set the resolution for Snap and Quantize,which I set to 1/1024. The gradual crescendo renders very smoothly on playback. I'm certain this will work for what I want to try to do in RC. This is a very powerful tool! One of these days I'll get the hang of it. Thanks again, Attila, for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes, that looks good!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”