Which guitar vsti or library to use with rapidcomposer?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First let me say how impressed I am at how much rapidcomposer has matured since I first found it back in 2012 (I think?). Great - finally a real tool for those of us who are not music theory teachers :)

Ok, my question to all is: which guitar vsti works the best with rapidcomposer. To be more specific: For all of us out here that use guitar vsti's or libraries, I'm sure at least some of you have run into the problem I have which is how to sequence the guitar tracks to use the proper strings, frets, and positions?

To further explain what I'm trying to get at here: there seems to be only a few ways to achieve this with current software i.e. daws or guitar pro that I know (hopefully someone smarter out there has figured this out):

- use the "midi out" feature that most guitar vsti's and libraries have nowadays which puts each guitar string on a different midi channel. This works great if you use a midi guitar controller like the yourock guitar or the software midi fretboard controller that I have made.

Also, Insert Piz Here "midichords" is an awesome guitar chords plugin that outputs the guitar strings to different midi channels https://www.kvraudio.com/product/midich ... t-piz-here

- use a single midi channel for the guitar vsti and use keyswitches. The only one I know that does this properly is musiclab's realguitar because it has keyswitches to choose which string a note is played on.

- use guitar pro. It can do this, but doesn't have the composition tools rapidcomposer has and only does staff and tab.

I guess maybe I'm reaching for the perfect guitar sequencing tool? I think rapidcomposer is the best midi composition tool. There really isn't anything else anyone would need except maybe some more midi guitar sequencing capabilities because the guitar vsti's and libraries that are out now sound awesome. I guess I should also ask if rapidcomposer can do multichannel midi recording on a single track for phrases? I don't know everything about it yet and there is a lot to learn.

The only thing I can think of is to make 6 tracks and route them all on different midi channels to a single instance of a guitar vsti or library. Making 6 phrases for a single riff or strum would probably be challenging

I hope I'm making sense to those who are interested. I welcome all opinions and knowledge. I'm sure someone out there has figured out how to do this; and it would be awesome to be able to do it in rapidcomposer and use the key, chord, scale transposition tools and have correct notes, frets, and positions.
Also, I apologize if this doesn't make sense to anybody out there :) I'm really impressed with rapidcompose and I would like to be able to use it for guitar writing ideas.

Hi cristo1,

I am sorry I am so late with my reply, and it seems no other users commented on guitar VSTi's. :(
At the moment there are not many features in RapidComposer for guitar players, other than 'guitar voicing' that looks up a chord in the internal guitar chord database. In the future you will be able to edit chords on a fretboard, and select from multiple fingerings.
It is a good idea to assign multiple channels for a track, to sound all notes in its own channel. This will be implemented shortly.
As far as I remember RC cannot record multiple channels on a single track, but this would not be difficult to implement.

Thanks!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Ample sound
what she order? fish filet?

Hi, please someone can tell me why every note of ample guitar is played twice in RC? I can t tell RC to not play also the ample plugin note, so it is doubled. I m going crazy

Myper

cristo1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am First let me say how impressed I am at how much rapidcomposer has matured since I first found it back in 2012 (I think?). Great - finally a real tool for those of us who are not music theory teachers :)
Yes, it has changed quite a bit.. I recommend the Tips and Tricks sub forum and just search the forums here to see if your future questions were already asked..
(There is also a video manual that will help in that forum are..
cristo1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am Ok, my question to all is: which guitar vsti works the best with rapidcomposer. To be more specific: For all of us out here that use guitar vsti's or libraries, I'm sure at least some of you have run into the problem I have which is how to sequence the guitar tracks to use the proper strings, frets, and positions?
Speaking of VST's, it's important to know when adding VST's to RC, don't use the "scan all", add them one at a time. In scan all mode, it will find it's self and crash..

I am actually a guitar player, but, sometimes for the fun of it, use guitar vst's. The only one I use (and have) is from Native Instruments, though..

cristo1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am - use the "midi out" feature that most guitar vsti's and libraries have nowadays which puts each guitar string on a different midi channel. This works great if you use a midi guitar controller like the yourock guitar or the software midi fretboard controller that I have made.
Yea, this depends on the VST, obviously, but, RC can load either separate instances of the same VST, or, if the VST is multi-channel, or multi instrument, such as Kontact, it will work fine. This, in the operation of RC deals with track and "track dialog"..

cristo1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am Image

Also, Insert Piz Here "midichords" is an awesome guitar chords plugin that outputs the guitar strings to different midi channels https://www.kvraudio.com/product/midich ... t-piz-here
Yea, this is one of those areas that you will have to become creative. One solution I can think of, is, if the VST can run in stand alone, use a virtual midi port to connect it to RC stand alone and create one track per string, in RC. You could probably do that in a DAW as well. Or in a DAW, save as multi channel single track.. To be honest, I'd have to try it myself before I could begin to really explain it..

EDIT: One feature I use a lot of is exploding a midi track, one note lines per track in Reaper.. I do this for drums mostly so I can apply FX per instrument..
cristo1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am - use a single midi channel for the guitar vsti and use keyswitches. The only one I know that does this properly is musiclab's realguitar because it has keyswitches to choose which string a note is played on.
There was a video released just recently that covers keyswitch articulations in RC. It can become tedious, though ...

This is a link to the video manual's playlist...

viewtopic.php?p=7280718#p7280718
Last edited by BluGenes on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myper wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:19 pm Hi, please someone can tell me why every note of ample guitar is played twice in RC? I can t tell RC to not play also the ample plugin note, so it is doubled. I m going crazy

Myper
Just off the top, need to know how you using RC, stand alone or as a VST? Sounds like the midi bus is not being merged in a DAW ?, my first guess..

BluGenes wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:07 am
myper wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:19 pm Hi, please someone can tell me why every note of ample guitar is played twice in RC? I can t tell RC to not play also the ample plugin note, so it is doubled. I m going crazy

Myper
Just off the top, need to know how you using RC, stand alone or as a VST? Sounds like the midi bus is not being merged in a DAW ?, my first guess..
HI BluGenes and thanks for replying, as a beginner, RC seems quite complicated. I think the error is mine, I mean, the velocity was set to 100, creating a bad sound from the guitar vst (ample sound). I reduced the velocity and now seems to work fine.

I run in standalone mode.

Keep on studying...

Return to “MusicDevelopments”