Kontact, ASO, and keyswitches

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. Newbie alert! :-)

So I have started playing with RC and am having a ball! Thanks Attila! And following up by doing the tutorials (thanks guys!) I've had a go at making a CTRL file for one of the Kontakt libraries I have (Amadeus Symphony Orchestra -- excellent sounds for not a lot, if you haven't tried it). Anyhow, it uses keyswitches to change a variety of things, such as string articulations (Marcato, Pizzicato, etc.). All good.

In my first effort, I created an "Amadeus Symphony Orchestra.rcCTRL" file in my DB directory, and added in the keyswitch details for "Violins I" and it worked as expected and beautifully. Within RC I had my Controller Set, Articulation Set, and Default Art. all working as expected. Hooray!

Then I tried doing exactly the same for the String Ensemble, and it doesn't work. It seems as though the problem is the keyswitch info is within the playing range of the instrument and the note gets played rather than being used to control the articulation setting.

Has anyone else seen this? Or, as I expect, am I missing something here?

TIA
-- mark.

All midi notes are one octave down for ctrl files. So, if your library says it is using C2, in RC, use C1 for the keyswitch. I think I talked about this in the video user guide, but hey, I'm old.. lol What really is needed is a utility program that can read and write the ctrl files (hint hint Attila)

BTW, I just bought my first Kontact libraries and still learning it.. oh man, what fun this will be.. lol

I got Komplete 12 just for the full player and I bought Realivox Ladies and Blue for female vocals.

Hi Mark, welcome to this forum! :)

BluGenes is right, there must be an issue with octave numbering.
For some reason numbering octaves is not standardized... In RapidComposer C4 (middle C) is MIDI note #60.
You can change this in the settings, how octaves are displayed, however note names in the .rcCTRL files ALWAYS adhere to this rule.

It is possible to use MIDI note numbers in .rcCTRL files, to avoid misunderstanding. This wiki page may help:
http://www.musicdevelopments.com/wiki/d ... iculations

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

BluGenes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:07 am All midi notes are one octave down for ctrl files. So, if your library says it is using C2, in RC, use C1 for the keyswitch. I think I talked about this in the video user guide, but hey, I'm old..
Doh! You did, and I did, and then I didn't. The control set was set at C1 and I went for C2 thinking I had it right. Nope, C0, and all is goodness.

And I like Kontakt, though I'm still learning lots about it. ASO is a great little library, maybe the best sounding symphony for the price (certainly all over GPO5).

And many thanks for the tutorial videos! They are awesome :-)
-- mark.

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:37 am Hi Mark, welcome to this forum! :)

BluGenes is right, there must be an issue with octave numbering.
Thanks, Attila. It was my error (how unsurprising!). Is there any way of reloading the rcCTRL files when RC is running? Or is this a "save-and-restart" thing?
-- mark.

yea, for the most part it's a restart thing.. just can't be avoided.. most all settings require a restart. In fact, what I do, is restart every new project. You guarantee a better session that way..

just an update, I just bought the Kontact midi controller.. haven't had a chance to set it up, but, looking forward to that.. yea, kind of going wild here with libraries and stuff.. think the wife caught on, so, got to chill out now.. lol

mark5009 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:13 pmIs there any way of reloading the rcCTRL files when RC is running? Or is this a "save-and-restart" thing?
Yes, it is a "save and restart" thing. The .rcCTRL files are read when RapidComposer is starting, there is no way to re-load them.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”