Weird phrase behavior…?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anybody ever encountered what's happening in my current comp before, or have any ideas about working around it?

(In the first part of the gif I'm deleting phrases and the one to the immediate left is growing automatically to fill the gap, stretching out the last note. In the second part, I'm dragging a new phrase with the mouse positioned above the stretched one, and that one moves it out of the way as I drag to the left, but the dragged phrase is reduced to a single long note.)

Last edited by David on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I can't repeat this in a new comp, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the original saved phrase. In the problem comp, I also can't slice the stretched phrase to cut it off; that option doesn't appear in the phrase inspector as usual when the phrase is selected and the playhead is positioned over it.

A-Ha! Found the culprit…

The stretching and deforming of a dragged-in new phrase shown above happens whenever the Track Variation Staccato-Legato is on and the slider is set above 0. So the workaround is to simply turn that off when swapping in a new phrase, then turn it back on for playback.

You can actually adjust the extent of stretching for the last note with the S-legato slider, but since no matter how much or little you set over 0, any dragged in new phrase is deformed, I'd say this is a bug, no?

I think it is quite normal how it works. When using legato, the biggest slider value will hold the note until the next phrase. If you move the next phrase closer, the held note will be shorter.

Thanks,
Attila

Yes, working as you describe in a new comp; I guess there was something else weird going on in the comp posted the examples from; sorry!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”