Writing some blues?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,

I have no formal knowledge of how blues works as a genre but I know what I like when I hear it. When I go to RapidComposer's chord and pattern editors, I don't know where to begin to generate a blues feel. However, I found some free blues MIDI files online. What would be the best/fastest way of generating some original results? Could anyone suggest either (1) how to use RapidComposer's built-in tools for creating blue riffs or (2) how to create variations of existing MIDI files that function musically? I was thinking of manually extracting and cutting up the organ track of a MIDI file into smaller pieces and then using RapidComposer's variations tool (flip horizontally, etc.). Is that my best bet? What I'd like is to paste a bit of MIDI into RapidComposer and have it continually manipulate it live until I hear something I like.

-d.vyd

yea, unfortunately, as is, the software won't be able to generate a genre like that. At best, you can use RC to "data base" midi patterns. However, future versions may be able to do that..

You are on the right track for that. Just collect patterns and add to your library.

Pretty much what I play is Blues, on guitar. My view on this is subjective. Meaning, for me, personally, I like certain accompaniments to compliment the genre. For instance, Keyboards, Saxophone and Harmonica are important to me for the "sound" or feel. So, collecting midi in those areas are important for building my libraries.

I also use other tools to create midi, besides acquiring free public domain files. I also use Melodyne and Jam Origin's Midi Guitar 2. All of which eventually ends up being added to RC..

And it it is kind of funny, for me, because in my beginning, all I wanted to do is just build some cool backing tracks to jam too.. lol

My experience as well, BluGenes. I had posted on this quite some time ago … a library of patterns is the best way still.

Thanks for the good advice. Sounds like the next version may have some AI for genres or patterns.

An empty daw track and the scaler plug-in and I could get some nice 12 bar blues going pretty well. Been playing blues for a long ass time though on multi instruments. I'd set the key in scaler to blues scale, then drag the progression one chord at a time onto the timeline then shorten copy and paste. Or throw the chords in a soft sampler and then swing or shuffle the midi notes to trigger it. Easy Google search will yield 12 bar blues chord progression. Choose a scale in scaler from pluginboutique then all the chords will be numbered with the Roman numerals, so easy to spot and drag. If you need a bridge just choose relative major or minor for whatever key you choose. I love playing in A but love listening to slow in G. Load a blues backing track on channel 1 and match and set tempo. Write to it. GL

This looks like good, detailed advice--but I'm not sure I understand. Which part is handled in the DAW with a scaler plugin and which parts handled by RapidComposer?

Return to “MusicDevelopments”