Newbie question: recording phrases and scale positions?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I've spent the better part of the weekend reading the manual, experimenting, watching YouTube videos, and I'm still missing something...

I want to record a phrase using my MIDI keyboard so that I can capture a more human feel to the phrase in the timing and velocities. So far so good, I can do this.

Then what I really want to do is transpose the recorded phrase using different scales so that, for example the recorded major 3rd becomes a minor 3rd automatically when I switch the chord from the major to the minor. I.e. I want to keep the scale position the same (3rd note of the scale).

Is this possible? I can get this to work on phrases I draw in or import but don't seem to be able to do this with recorded phrases.

No doubt I'm missing a key concept (no pun intended). Any suggestions?

Hi,

i hope it helps.

Perfect, thank you!

One solution that yellukhan proposed is when you record 'absolute' notes, then convert the notes to chord-relative form.

It is possible to do this automatically. Right click on the PLAY or RECORD button and make sure you set the following settings:

After recording your phrase, the master track already has the right chords, which you can change freely.

Thanks,
Attila

Many thanks to you both - very helpful responses. This gives me the toe-hold I needed to really get into this very deep and wonderful program.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”