Help Needed -- How do I bring up the Phrase dialog box?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to learn how to use RC while also flagging out-of-date images in the Wiki guide to help Atilla update those images. But I'm stuck in "Chapter 2", trying to figure out how to use the generators. If I right click a phrase as instructed, I get a box that says "Multiple phrases selected" and doesn't allow me to see or edit the phrase. The only way I can bring up the phrase dialog box shown in the guide is by restricting my selection to a single note, but I need to see the phrase, not just one note of a phrase. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi,
i am confused about
"Multiple phrases selected" versus "selecting/seeing one note" because this two belongs to different edit mode
Multiple phrases selected message belongs to Phrase Editing mode (F1)

as a side note :
i would check this Settings and be sure its active/ticked ..
later you can de-activate it if you want .. i mean after when you get a little more experienced with RC..
Image[/url]

in the Phrase Editing mode (F1) just click to empty area in one of your tracks to deselect all phrases/generators,
now you should see the "No phrase selected.." message in the Phrase Inspector window..
then click to the phrase/generator that you want to edit.

Image[/url]

and
"restricting my selection to a single note"
to me means you are in the Note Editing mode you can't open/edit Phrase Inspector in this mode..

i hope it helps.

Hi, Yellukhan.

Thanks for the quick response. I just looked at my settings, and the "inhibit phrase selection in multiple tracks" box is, in fact, checked, so that's not the problem.

Also, I am definitely in the Phrase Edit mode. I press F1. I see the little "phrase" icon instead of the note icon. The cursor acts on phrases, and any messages that come up concern phrases rather than individual notes. So the edit mode doesn't seem to be the problem.

However, experimenting a bit more helps me clarify the problem. I said I could only get the phrase editor to operate on a single note, but that's not quite accurate. I can only get it to operate on the contents of a single *beat*. When I tried it on a fingerpicking pattern, which has faster notes, I see that if there are two or more notes in the current beat, then a pattern for those notes does show up in the phrase editor. But if my selection spans more than a single beat, I get the "multiple phrases selected" message.

But that's just a clarification; I'm still unable to edit the four bars that make up a phrase from the fingerpicking. If I right click between a pair of notes in a single beat (1/4 of a measure in this example), I get the phrase editor. If I first select the two notes in a single beat, then right click, I get the same result. But if I select the notes in two adjacent beats within the same phrase, I get the "multiple phrases selected" message. But the screen shot in the manual (the one immediately following the phrase "many, many ways Generators...”) clearly shows a longer sequence of notes in the phrase editor, so it must be possible.

Does that clarify the problem enough that you can diagnose it? Can you explain more clearly how I would get the full one-measure (4-beat) pattern to come up in the phrase editor?

Thanks again.

David

"But if I select the notes in two adjacent beats within the same phrase, I get the "multiple phrases selected" message"
part still confuses me because i never get the multiple phrases selected message when i select 1 phrase..
i get an impression might be the phrase length too small and you are selecting two phrase by accident..
but you are saying 1 phrase ..

-would you give me the exact link of the wiki page that you are referring
-more important, would you mind to record a gif and upload here so i can see in action?

just in case if you need
lately i am using this site to upload pictures / gifs .. so far works great
https://postimages.org/

BINGO! Your observation regarding phrase length was right on the money. Whenever I used a User/sample pattern, the phrases showed up as one bar (four beats) long. But whenever I inserted phrases with a generator they were just *one* bar long. So I looked at the phrase browser and saw "1 beat" in the scrolling selector, changed it to 4 beats, and all works as expected now.

The problem was self-inflicted, btw. It's so easy to screw something up without realizing it when you're wandering around in unfamiliar software. I changed the generator length setting to 1 earlier in the day when I found auditioned patterns were going on too long. That did, in fact, shorten the auditions, so I thought I'd done the right thing. But what I did obviously had unintended consequences. :roll:

Thanks again. Problem solved. Until the next one smacks me in the face, of course.

glad to hear that!
ask with no hesitation & enjoy with your learning process :party:

Return to “MusicDevelopments”