RC doesn't play the first notes of the loop

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Attila
I’m using Cakewalk Sonar Platinum 64bit and Windows 10 64bit.
Running Rapidcomposer Beta v3.3b6 as a plugin in Sonar.
RC doesn't play the first notes of the loop. It does so the first run through but not subsequent ones it does not play the first notes in the first measure of loop.
Am I doing sometimes wrong how do I fix it?

Thanks Darrell

This is a bug in Sonar. I have already contacted Cakewalk technical support, and I received a reply that my bug report was forwarded to the developers. This happened 3 days ago, so let's hope this bug will be fixed shortly.
There is no way to insert a workaround for this problem.

Thanks,
Attila

Update: the developers at Cakewalk are actively working on this issue. They are very responsive so I think this will be fixed soon.

While there may be some argument that SONAR isn't doing what Rapid Composer expects, since I can reproduce this bug not only in SONAR (2017.06) but also in the most recent version of Reaper v5.40, I'm thinking Rapid Composer needs to handle the playback buffer looping around better.

In Reaper, load Rapid Composer and another synth (to play the sounds).  Create a two bar phrase in Rapid Composer.  In Repear set it to loop the first two bars.  When you play it the first time through the first note sounds.  The second time, on the loop, that first note in bar 1 doesn't sound.  Exactly how it works in SONAR.

Rapid Composer needs to handle this I think.

There is a thread on this on the SONAR forum.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Using-Cakewal ... 02060.aspx

I've reproduced this problem now with SONAR, Reaper, Abelton Live 9 Lite and Bitwig 8-Track. It's really pretty simple to reproduce, I mostly spent the time googling how to set up the MIDI routing to the sound synth.
-Matt

OK, finally this issue was fixed today.
It was not a huge bug, the problem was that RC emitted an "all notes off" event at the end of the loop, but some instruments did not handle well when they received "note on" events immediately after an "all notes off". Sending separate "note offs" fixed the issue.

This problem was entirely different than the looping bug in Sonar. I'll ask Cakewalk about the fix.
EDIT: the engineers at Cakewalk promptly replied that they would look into this problem for the next update

Thanks,
Attila

OK I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but Cakewalk just released Cakewalk 2019.09 Early Access which finally (after more than 2 years) fixes this looping bug with Rapid Composer!
-Matt

Woohoo!
Thank you, Matt! :)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”