v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

i believe this is just for the newly saved ones?
it doesn't happens after full refresh the phrase browser or restart the RC
even that already loaded 'one note' generators in the track get corrected after restart RC..

similar thing happens with the Rhythms when you save first time

drag a phrase from Phrase Browser to Rhythm Browser
save it:

something in the Convert to Relative Form menu:
when you select the Chord+Scale Steps .. list shows Bass Note +semitones
close and re open inspector fixes it:

i think i report this already but couldn't remember..

example:
import a 16 bars midi to a RC track,
convert to relative form,
split at bar boundaries,
open inspector select all splits & see there 16 phrase selected,
give Group and phrase names,
hit to Save Selected .. only first one (4 beat) get saved ! ?

yellukhan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:24 pm i believe this is just for the newly saved ones?
it doesn't happens after full refresh the phrase browser or restart the RC
even that already loaded 'one note' generators in the track get corrected after restart RC..
Hello, yellukhan.

You are absolutely right, spot on! When I initially save the generator preset and I get the "single note" line in it, if I update the phrases browser with the "update circled arrows" button, the generator preset becomes normal and can be used with "F".

So as you say, this is some kind of bug related to the storage and retrieval of the presets on the browser. I hope Attila can now replicate and hopefully fix it.

Thanks!

RapidComposer v3.7b6 is available!

LOTS of workflow improvements in this update... Please read the changes carefully, the wiki has not been updated yet.
  • Exporting phrases as MIDI files is possible by Alt-dragging multiple phrases in the Phrase Browser. The chord, scale and tempo at the current playback position will be used.
  • You can drop MIDI files directly on the Phrase Browser. The old "Convert MIDI Files To Phrases" functionality was removed.
  • You can drop MIDI files directly on the Rhythm Browser to save the rhythm pattern from the MIDI file
  • Phrase/rhythm dragging was reworked. Alt-dragging will drag both the rhythm and the phrase at the same time. When dropping it on an existing phrase, a menu will open with options like "Replace Phrase", "Apply Rhythm", "Apply Melody", "Replace Generator Rhythm"
  • Save a phrase by Alt-dragging a phrase and dropping it on a folder in the Phrase Browser. The same works for saving rhythms.
  • Shortcut changed: Alt+drag (Option+drag on macOS) initiates dragging the original phrase and rhythm, Alt+Shift+drag (Option+Shift+drag on macOS) drags the rendered phrase and rhythm
  • New variation: 'Apply Melody' adjusts phrase notes to follow a melody phrase.
  • Edit slider values by double-clicking on it
  • Double-click on a track will zoom in the track, another double-click will restore its size
  • Hover color can be customized for the editing modes menu
  • Holding down Shift during moving phrases will temporarily set the snap to be 32th note
  • Playback position is moved to the beginning when playback stops at the end
  • New Idea Tool option: 'Bind Phrases And Variations' (enabled by default). Phrases denoted with the same letter will always have the same variations assigned (available in the hamburger menu)
  • New Idea Tool option: 'Select Variations From List In Random Order' (disabled by default). Choose between keeping the order of variations selected from the list, or selecting them randomly (available in the hamburger menu)
  • New Idea Tool option: 'Apply Variations In Order' (enabled by default). Variations will be applied in strict order to phrases (available in the hamburger menu)
  • New Idea Tool option: 'Use Rhythms For 'Apply Rhythm'' (disabled by default). When using 'Apply Rhythm' as a variation, it will be set up from the rhythm patterns list (available in the hamburger menu)
  • Fixed: filling track with phrases used the last timeline selection even when that was disabled
  • Fixed an issue when saving phrases and immediately using the saved phrase
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hello, Attila.

Thank you *very* much, these are great features and I'm very thankful that you are working so hard and actively on implementing new great stuff! :-)

I've been testing the "Apply Melody", etc, and I have the feeling that something is not quite right in the Phrase Preview button in the "magic wand" window of the generator. I have the feeling that it's some kind of bug that causes the small triangular "play" button next to the "Regenerate!" button to do weird things and behaves differently from the "triangle with underscore" next to it.

This bug does not necessarily happen only when you use Apply Melody and I've seen weird stuff with this button today, but I found a way to replicate it using Apply Melody. I hope you can find the issue and probably solve it in all other potential ways it could happen.

Steps:
* Start RC v3.7b6 and create a new default composition.
* Drag an Arpeggiator to the first bar
* Drag a Melody Generator over the existing Arpeggiator and select Apply Melody. The Arpeggiator phrase in the track changes to show the melody applied to it.
* Right click in the existing Arpeggiator and go to the Magic Wand. In the preview window you can still see the original Arpeggiator melody without the melody applied. I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour or a bug?
* In the bottom, click Regenerate!. The "previewed" melody is still showing the original arpeggiator one despite the melody being applied, but in the track you can see the "altered" one with the melody applied. If you enable "auto apply" and click Generate several times, the melody in the track changes but the previewed one does not.
* If you click the "play with underscore" button (with auto apply enabled for example), the melody in the preview window always stays the same (original arpeggiator) but the melody you hear is the one with the melody applied. Every time you click the "play with underscore" button, the melody you hear change but the preview melody and the melody in the track remains the same despite "auto apply" being enabled. If after doing this several times, you move your mouse cursor (without clicking) over the "previewed melody", the melody in the track changes and gets updated! Weird.
* And now let's go with the "play" button next to Regenerate!, when you click it the melody in the preview does update this time every time you click it. When "auto apply" is enabled, every time you click the play button the preview melody changes but the melody in the track does not change. In this case, when you move the mouse cursor over the "previewed melody" now the melody in the track does not change, but the previewed window scrolls by itself one or more rows.
* To make things even weirder, if now you go to the Variations tab and remove the "Apply Melody" variation, the melody in the track goes back to the original Arpeggiator (as expected) and when you go back to the "magic wand" tab, it also shows correctly the original Arpeggiator melody. When you click the "triangle with underscore" it plays correctly the normal Arpeggiator melody. That's all fine so far.
* However if you click now the "play" triangle next to Regenerate, it will apply the melody again and change the preview pattern, appearing and sounding differently every time, as if it were still applying the melody. In this scenario, the actual melody in the track seems unaffected by this, only seems to affect the preview.

I hope I was not too obscure in my explanation. If needed I can provide screenshots, etc. I hope you can replicate this.

Thanks for your extraordinary work!! :-)

Hi,

Continuing with my investigation I think I can also replicate these bugs without the "Apply Melody". I think the bugs are related to the preview window and/or the generators behaviour when they are placed in the tracks, and the underlying bugs are "amplified" even more when you use Apply Melody.

For example, steps to replicate this weird preview behaviour without using Apply Melody:
* Start RC v3.7b6 and create a new default composition.
* Drag a Melody Generator to the second bar (IV)
* Right click the Melody Generator and go to the "magic wand". You will see the usual melody generated in the preview window.
* Press the "play" button next to Regenerate!. It will almost certainly change!
* If you press the "triangle with underscore" next to it and afterwards you move the mouse cursor over the previewed melody (without clicking) the melody in the track will change (even if the Auto Update is disabled!)

I suppose this behaviour could be caused by the Melody being internally regenerated to acomodate the melody rules of start in a chord note, end in a chord note, etc, which does not happen initially when you first drag the melody generator to the second bar in the IV chord. But the preview updating and the track updating during the preview with these buttons seems to be working strangely.

I hope this helps also to find the issue with the problem above, as they seem to be related.

Hello David,

thank you for the bug reports, I will check these problems.
There is a known bug when you use the "triangle with underscore" that is preview the phrase with other tracks. At the moment the edited phrase is placed temporarily in the composition for the duration of the playback. This is a hack, and it is the reason for the strange behaviour when you hover the mouse over the phrase in the composition. Sorry about that, I try to find out a better solution but until that we have to live with this.

Thanks!
Attila

oh! Apply Melody! this made my excitement five times bigger!
&
this is not gonna be good for you Attila! .. this is not gonna! :hihi:

i even didn't check the IT additions yet again ..
still trying to figure it out how to ask to using Apply Melody in the Idea Tool..

just thinking out loud:

1 list for the background Phrases and 1 more for the Apply Melody Variation/Melody Phrases?!
or just allow to select a melody folder from the Phrase Browser for the Apply Melody?!

also would need to automatically Loop/extend the (BG) phrase as the Line length
to apply the whole length of the melody phrase in the Apply Melody Variation?

even (a little) complex way = allow loop the BG phrase as long as we need by manual order (formula)
for example 8 Bars Line (& = Loop)
A'&24 B'8
poor demonstration:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hTd2I ... t5JxINip5V

possibilities..possibilities!

i know there is other things to do but as always i just can't hold myself :)

quick look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEXtf0S ... e=youtu.be

a quick found:

"Exporting phrases as MIDI files is possible by Alt-dragging multiple phrases in the Phrase Browser. The chord, scale and tempo at the current playback position will be used."

with multiple or just one phrase
seems fixes/resets all velocities to 127 in the exported midi files.

Hello Atilla:
May I request a link to the beta?
many thanks,

David Shaw

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:05 am RapidComposer v3.7b6 is available!
[*]You can drop MIDI files directly on the Phrase Browser. The old "Convert MIDI Files To Phrases" functionality was removed.
[*]You can drop MIDI files directly on the Rhythm Browser to save the rhythm pattern from the MIDI file
i think also preserving start/end empty spaces of the midi files on import would great
i mean do not crop that spaces, keep the Phrase & Rhythm length as the midi file length.

yellukhan wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:03 am i think also preserving start/end empty spaces of the midi files on import would great
i mean do not crop that spaces, keep the Phrase & Rhythm length as the midi file length.
Done ;)
with multiple or just one phrase
seems fixes/resets all velocities to 127 in the exported midi files.
Fixed! Thanks for reporting this bug!
Attila

This was fixed today. Phrases with the same name are saved properly now.
Thanks!
Attila
yellukhan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm i think i report this already but couldn't remember..

example:
import a 16 bars midi to a RC track,
convert to relative form,
split at bar boundaries,
open inspector select all splits & see there 16 phrase selected,
give Group and phrase names,
hit to Save Selected .. only first one (4 beat) get saved ! ?

great! :D
as always Thank you so much!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”