v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer RapidComposer LE

Hey BluGenes,

I see what you mean from the video. I'll be able to check and fix this tomorrow.

Thanks!
Attila

awesome.. I started the new video seires and I am actually at this point in those videos.. so.. I'll skip this section for now.. thanks!!

ok it's a LOL moment.. really over thought the problem and solution to my last suggestion.

The solution is quite simple too. The best way to approach this is like a track template, but, just the instruments. You could use the same code as the track template, less the phrases on the track.

The save button on the track dialog would create the template, same as the "save as template" does for tracks.

The instrument browser would have to change to view the list of "instrument templates" and the drag and drop would work exactly like the track templates, less the phases. The settings for preview could also use this list as well.

This would be so very awesome.. The only error catching that would be needed would be a default name for the template.. you could also store these new templates in the tracks template folder, or it's own new folder.. The latter would be better, but, ya know..

An example of this is like in Reaper with FX templates..

I'm getting inconsistent results with phrase generators, mainly whether they regenerate or not. E.g.,if I fill a track with a key command for those that have such, then select all, a tap on g works great; all change. But if I drag one of the other gens to the track header, then select all, almost invariably these do not change at all when I tap g or use the Generate all selected… option. But if I then select some individual gen from those already there and change something in the wand view of the Phrase Inspector, then that phrase will start to respond to regen commands, while if an unchanged phrase is added to the selection, only the altered one will respond. This doesn't seem intended; any one else having this trouble?
Using 3.6.2 in High Sierra, btw.

Hi David,

I did my best to use 'generate all' in every scenario but I could not reproduce this weird behavior. Will you send me instructions step by step? Maybe you found a rare bug that appears only in special circumstances.

Thanks!
Attila

Sure, I can do that: it's happening here after the most basic of steps (create new comp, select generator, fill with f, select all phrases, click g), so I wonder if it's somehow unique to my system, and if so what sort of things could you imagine might be causing it that I could try?
It also is limited to certain generators. I just tried them all, and Piano Run, Piano Chord, Arp, and Chord were the only ones that don't respond to g, consistently. Do they share something that no others do?
Thanks!

David wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pmIt also is limited to certain generators. I just tried them all, and Piano Run, Piano Chord, Arp, and Chord were the only ones that don't respond to g, consistently. Do they share something that no others do?
Thanks!
Yes! :) These are all generators without randomization. You set a few options which clearly describe the notes that you get; no random values are used. Sometimes there is a randomization button for the options, like for the piano chord pattern generator, but still there are no random notes in the phrase.

Thanks,
Attila

I was beginning to grasp this while waiting for the definitive answer, thank you:)

The new beta works with a multi timbrel instrument for chord bass preview, but, with a catch.. You have to save the preset first in a track, using the save button on the track dialog.. other wise, it will crash..

With this beta, the instrument browser now works with saved presets too.. now we are cooking with gas.. lol ;)

Hi BluGenes,

I hope this crash is fixed now in the update that I sent you.
I wasn't able to crash it when setting the bass preview instrument.

A new update v3.64 will be uploaded on Monday or Tuesday, there is no beta version available right now.

Thanks,
Attila

Hey.. yea, if I set a VST with no instruments as a preview instrument, close RC then restart, it crashes.. But, if I create a preset via the track dialog then use that preset for the preview, close RC, then restart, it works fine. This is the latest version I was sent..

I also found a "collision". It will crash if the same VST preset is being used both as preview and on a track. For instance, if you create a track and load VST and save that preset. Having "auto save on", set the preview to the new preset just saved and quit. When you restart, it is trying to use the same instance in two places at the same time. The preview version has to be an instance by itself no matter how other settings are treated in the VST settings page.. if that is possible..

I haven't tried, but, I am sure it would crash if you would use that saved preset in a composition later on.. so, preview instance needs to be separated from composition instance somehow.

By the way, anyone reading this and wanting to try this.. you HAVE to make a backup copy of your settings file to recover from the crash. Otherwise, your install is toast..

Hi BluGenes,

what you described works without crashes with Kontakt. The track and preview instruments were loaded in their own instance. I will shortly try SampleTank.

The preview instruments always use their own instance of the plug-ins, separate from the composition. I have a feeling that SampleTank is doing black magic when it merges multiple instances. It should NOT do that. The way it handles saved VSTi states in RC is very weird. I am pretty sure that this works well for Kontakt or any other multi-timbral instrument. I have tested Kontakt in the last few days a lot in various situations in RC. I will reproduce the crash with the free SampleTank and if I find that it behaves badly, then it should not be used for preview instrument, and maybe I should contact them. I'll keep you posted.

v3.64 will not be uploaded until this issue is fixed.

Thanks!
Attila

So far, haven't had any crashes. It might also be because that one crash, I never rebooted my system. So, it is possible it was hung in memory. Usually, I know because the hung copy has a copy of ASIO as well. I can tell there is a problem if ASIO4ALL shows a second instance running.

But, since that last test update, no problems at all. I was able to delete ST and re-add it with no issues. I can also use the same preset as the preview with no problems. Other than the metronome, I think you nailed the issue.

That is absolutely fantastic! 8) I feel very bad when there are bugs.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”