Bug reports

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fyler RapidComposer

Hi Attila,
still using the 3.82 version I don t know where to post it
but when I Import a midi file to a RC track and split it into multiple phrases (after converted to relative form), I can t save more than 16 phrases( out of 32). The saving procedure stops.
Thanks

Sorry -my bad!!!
I saved per 2 bars....:-))
Thanks

OK, that is fine :)
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Probably not supported but I'll try anyway...
I'm trying to use RC in Ubuntu Studio 19.10 through Wine and Linvst.
I t almost works. It hangs at setting up user interface.

I can still play around with tracks and phrases but chord selection does'nt work, anyway in case you know a workaround...

https://imgur.com/hd3HQfI.png
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

I've been demoing RC for the last couple of days and while it's rather strange in its inception, it is far and away the best of breed! Thank you!

MacBook Pro Mojave i5 2.6ghz 8Gb RAM
Latest RapidComposer

Now, for the comments:

The only thing I've found that Orb does better is in constructing melodies. I like how it does the whole call/response thing, it works quite well. I've followed the suggestions I've seen for RC and while they can work to some extent, I found putting the ghost copy before the original works a little better to my taste. There's plenty of variations to remove notes, but not really enough to add/vary the melody in a meaningful way. :!: I think a specific "response" variation might be quite helpful in this regard. :?: Also, when I swapped the two generators (original and ghost) in the timeline, suddenly the original claimed to be the ghost and wouldn't let me regenerate.

The GUI is a bit goofy. The next few items address this:

:?: When trying to resize the track, I can generally get the resize icon for vertical, but the horizontal one on the right-hand edge is very shy and rarely shows, leaving me unable to stretch the block out wider.

:?: I also had an instance where a combo box was not resizing itself properly and if I selected a new item from the list, it would vanish! I'd have to reopen the window to get it to reappear. I was going to report the bug, but a restart of the program fixed the issue.

:?: I got a SEGFAULT error, but I don't recall what I was doing at the time. It appeared to be GUI related, looking at the thread crash. I sent the report to Apple. What they do with them, I never found out, but it was definitely an error on RC's side. I had a previous blowup, but I didn't check the error report. If I was a superhero, my superpower would be the ability to crash any program within the first five minutes of using it! I generally ignore those errors. Let me know if you would like to see these.

:!: Some of the floating windows are just too darn tall for my MacBook. While I am able to easily move them up and down, it's too much fussiness. They need more collapsible sections since it's easier to click to get at what I need than to fish around and drag.

:?: When working with the phrase envelope, sometimes double-clicking adds a new node and works fine, other times, it adds the new node, but deletes all nodes following. I don't see that I'm doing anything differently to cause either behavior.

Sometimes a generator refuses to regenerate. I'm not sure what causes this--if it's just me not understanding the paradigm, or what, but if I replace it and make the exact same settings, it works fine. So, I'm unsure if this is a bug or a feature at this point. Maybe a bit of direction from y'all will help me nail it down.

Finally, the name of the generator likes to change and I have no clue if they're just informational, or if they mean that the behavior of the generator has been modified. It shows with "Transposed" and a couple other things I don't recall.

I really enjoy the Markov melody generator. It can do some amazing stuff, especially if you want a more "classical" type melody. It also can do some lovely stuff by toning it down with variations and does better bass lines than the Bassline Generator, which is really sort of bland for my needs. The randomize button is my new friend here. :hug:

I've also been playing with Orb and Sundog. Like I said, Orb gets an A+ for melody generation, but it gets a complete fail for only having major, minor, and the other "7" modes (which include Aeolian and Ionian to make 9 total! :dog: :lol:) It's not very interactive and wants total world domination. It also has GUI issues and bugs. Sundog is good for what it is, but unfortunately, it's not enough for my nefarious purposes. I want guided chord selection and random generators. It also has GUI issues... :roll: :hihi:

Anyway, RapidComposer is a terrific program and keep up the good work! The issues I've had aren't showstoppers and I'll probably be making my purchase here very shortly. I need to dig in a couple layers deeper now and see if I can really do what I want to do easily...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Hi syntonica,

thank you for the detailed report.
I am doing my best to constantly improve the user interface, which, I know has some issues.
I would be grateful if you send me the crash reports in e-mail to info at musicdevelopments...
FYI I have definite plans to add a "Melody Editor" which lets you construct a melody interactively, rather than generating one. It will also be able to generate question-response type melody of course. I know how it will work, how it will look like, I just need some time to implement it.

Thanks again!
Attila

Hi Attila,

Thanks for the reply! I finally got around to trying the Idea generator last night, so you can ignore most of my criticisms regarding melody construction. I was able to get melodies that were for the most part, on par with what Orb generated, plus I could see how much more fine-grained control I had over their construction. So, A+ here!

If I get any more blow-ups, I'll copy the reports of and send them to you directly.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Thank you! :)
It is amazing how quickly you learnt RapidComposer! :tu:

I don't like having bugs so if you find the crash reports in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, I would love to fix them.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:48 pm Thank you! :)
It is amazing how quickly you learnt RapidComposer! :tu:

I don't like having bugs so if you find the crash reports in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, I would love to fix them.

Thanks,
Attila
Email sent! (I copied them out of the Console since I was looking under /Library and not ~/Library... :dog: )

Out of curiosity, is the GUI your own or are you using a library? I ask because I don't think I've seen the likes of it before, unless it's heavily skinned.

Thank you for the e-mail!

The GUI is own development, not using any libraries. It is cross-platform, font-sensitive with automatic layout. Almost any colors, font sizes, button shapes/corners/shading can be customized.

musicdevelopments wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 pm Thank you for the e-mail!

The GUI is own development, not using any libraries. It is cross-platform, font-sensitive with automatic layout. Almost any colors, font sizes, button shapes/corners/shading can be customized.
Wow! That's a lot of work! So, do you have a life outside of programming? :lol:

I got the full version installed and running last night. Now, I have tons more to explore. :D

If I have any more problems, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me. Thanks!

Hello Attila,

I just got RC and find it excellent. I got one problem: when I load a MIDI tune, the Master Track lists the scale denominations (C, D, Em etc.), which is fine. But I also need a Roman Numeral version of this listing in the Master Track. How can I get that?

ek2030 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:35 pm Hello Attila,

I just got RC and find it excellent. I got one problem: when I load a MIDI tune, the Master Track lists the scale denominations (C, D, Em etc.), which is fine. But I also need a Roman Numeral version of this listing in the Master Track. How can I get that?
Hi! Welcome to the forums.. I can answer that for you.. There are tons of tips in the Tips and Tricks area at the top of this forum.., including a video manual. That is several hours of video by itself.. There is just that much to the program.. ;) enjoy!

Really great, thank you. And thanks for the tips. I'll dig deeper yet.
However I'd like to suggest updating the pdf version of the manual. Not all parts of v. 3 appear to have been updated and that can hinder progress on the more advanced topics. Cheers

ek2030 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:03 am Really great, thank you. And thanks for the tips. I'll dig deeper yet.
However I'd like to suggest updating the pdf version of the manual. Not all parts of v. 3 appear to have been updated and that can hinder progress on the more advanced topics. Cheers
yep, it's a work in progress.. also, forgot to mention, you can have the naming of your choice as a default via Settings -> Misc tab -> New Composition

Return to “MusicDevelopments”