Bug reports

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fyler RapidComposer

Please post your bug reports in this thread. We are reading this thread every day and will fix bugs in the shortest possible time.

Be as specific as possible. E.g. "No sound" is too vague, say "I have the XY audio hardware and selected the ABC audio API in RapidComposer with these settings: ... I did this and that in the program and there was no sound."

Please include the OS version, and if the question is about UI, the resolution. If you find a crashing bug, please post the steps so that we can reproduce it. If a VSTi plug-in does not work, include the name and version.

Thank you for your help!
Attila

I don't know if this is a program bug or user bug!

Each time I import a midi file, it resets my chosen instrument from a GM soundfont to "MIDI: General MIDI."

What is worse is that when I go to change the instrument back to the soundfont from the General Midi ... the patch is lost and reset to Acoustic Piano or patch 1.

If I was hooked up to my sound module this would be fine ... but not on my laptop.

I set the midi output to "none," but it still resets when I import a midi file.

If this is the program, there needs to be a way to 'lock' the soundfont.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Thank you for the bug report. Indeed importing MIDI and using GM soundfonts was inconvenient.
We are working on this issue. Expect an update in a day or two.

Thanks,
Attila

This is fixed now. In the latest version you can have the tracks set up by using a GM soundfont.

I sent the update to Como. The update will be released early next week. If you cannot wait and need it right now, please drop me line.

Thanks,
Attila

Hi,

I installed the RapidComposer demo but very few things seem to work (if anything).

My specs: Win 7 SP1 (64-bit), i7 processor with 12GB RAM, my C: system drive is an Intel SSD, my sound card is a M-Audio Delta 1010LT. My screen resolution is 1920x1080.

First of all, I can't even quit the application. RapidComposer refuses to shut down. I have to force a shutdown from the Task Manager in Windows. That will take down the application window, but [RapidComposerDemo.exe *32] still resides in memory for ~10 minutes, eating 94664 KB.

What happens when I launch RapidComposer:

The GUI appears and I can click around on tabs and buttons. The Settings > Audio tab gives me three Audio API choices: Windows DirectSound, MME and ASIO. ASIO is checked. Audio Device is set to M-Audio Delta ASIO, the only option available. Sample Rate and Buffer Size are set to Default. I get no audio working no matter which Audio API I select.

MIDI tab: MIDI In is set to Delta 1010 LT MIDI. I tried to set MIDI Out to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as well as Delta 1010 LT MIDI, but no audio is heard after clicking on e.g. Chords or the Play buttons.

I click on "Open ASIO Control Panel". Nothing happens. I click on VSTi tab, then button Add and Add With Options. Nothing happens. The same goes for most other tabs. Many areas are greyed out, indicating they're unavailable.

After clicking around, trying to do SOMETHING, the RapidComposer crashes and shuts down with a Win7 alert that "this software has ceased to function". This happens everytime I start it and click around on tabs and other objects.

I'm sorry to report that my first impression of the RapidComposer demo is that it appears extremely unstable, and feels to me more like an alpha version. I use a lot of commercial software and VST plugins and my system has been rock stable ever since 2009 when I custom built it.

Hope this can be sorted out, as I really look forward to try this software and will probably buy a license if it can run without issues on my system.
---

Hi,

thank you for your feedback.
From your description I am almost sure that the problem is with the audio handling. For audio handling we are using the portaudio library which some users have serious issues with and which will be phased out soon. Actually we already finished our own ASIO handling.

If you send me an e-mail (to support@...) I will send you the latest version with the new audio handler, or I can send you a version with portaudio entirely removed.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:Hi,

From your description I am almost sure that the problem is with the audio handling. For audio handling we are using the portaudio library which some users have serious issues with and which will be phased out soon. Actually we already finished our own ASIO handling.

If you send me an e-mail (to support@...) I will send you the latest version with the new audio handler, or I can send you a version with portaudio entirely removed.

Thanks,
Attila
Hi Attila,

Sounds promising that you're phasing out the portaudio issues. I'll watch this support forum for news about the demo updates. (I actually prefer to download the public demo release when it's ready, but thanks for the e-mail offer anyway.)
---

Hi Attila,

I don't know if this has been reported yet, but I get a total RC crash when using the MIDI import option. Specifically, it only seems to occur when I check the box that says "Add Imported Tracks to Current Composition".

The process is: click on the MIDI Import tab, import a file using the OPEN button, then, it seems to always crash the program, and only if, I check the abovementioned check box.

Apologies if this bug has already been reported. This is my first post, I have been using Rapid Composer for about a week and a half.

Generally I really like this program, note I only have the LE version at the moment. It has a lot of potential.

If I may, Attila, can I make a couple of suggestions?

Would it be possible to have a menu system? Also, it would be good if every keyboard shortcut or command had either a menu equivalent or a mouse-right click equivalent. I think if you look at most software, there is almost always 2 ways to do everything: 1 with a mouse click, and a keyboard shortcut. When I was using this program early on, it took ages to realise that in the phrase editor, if I wanted to delete a single note, I only could do this by hitting the delete button on the keyboard. Right clicking the mouse after selecting the note had no context-sensitive delete command available to me.

With the midi import option, how do I get the program to import a midi file as a seperate track? I find that in the song I am currently working on, if I do a midi import successfully, it always places the imported midi as the whole composition. What I want to do is import a midi part (usually a 2 or 4 bar phrase) into a separate track, so I can keep the existing chord structure and song structure intact. Is there any way to do this?

I guess what would probably make more sense, or at least be a useful option, is the ability to bring in phrases, or import MIDI into the phrases tab in the middle window, you know, where, under the Phrases tab you have things like Samples-Generic, and Samples-Guitar. It would be awesome and I think very useful to be able to:

Create your own folder here, and
Be able to import midi into folders here and name them. That way you could get resusable midi phrases straight into a place where they can be used in any way, including in an existing composition.

Thanks very much for your time.

Cheers,
Justin.
Last edited by jsljustin on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sorry Attila,

I forgot to mention what OS I am using when I get the crash:

Windows 7 64bit.

And I am using the latest version (1.9 I think it is, current as at April 2012).

Also, I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but the buttons that change from green to red are a little confusing to me, as I am never quite sure if green or red means the option is active or not. What I guess would make it easier to remember or understand, is if the button(s) was green and said "Analyze" or click it and it changes to red and says "Don't Analyze", and likewise "Convert to Parametric" and "Don't Convert to Parametric", for example.

Again, I am referring to the options available after you first open a MIDI file for importing. I don't know elsewhere in Rapid Composer where this would also be applicable.

Thanks very much.
Justin

Hi Justin,

thank you for the suggestions. Good points about having everything a context menu equivalent (well, almost everything has a menu item) and if you find the green and red buttons confusing, that means we have to redesign/recolour the buttons.

I tried to import a MIDI file, and annoyingly I could not reproduce that crash. If it is possible for you to send me the MIDI file you imported, I would be grateful, and I could fix it in a few hours.

I think it is possible to import MIDI and keep the existing chord structure intact. It should work if you check "Add Imported Tracks To Current Composition", and disable (make red) all "Convert To Parametric" buttons. This way all notes remain absolute notes.

Thank you for your suggestions!

On a totally unrelated note an update will be released tomorrow which won't use internet activation but a simple keycode as the software protection. All previous keycodes will work.

Thanks,
Attila

Hi Attila,

just a quick note to say I've sent more info about this problem to you via your main website's bug report form. I can't see any email addresses either there or here for you, if you can, drop me a quick email and I can send through some midi files. Though just to note, I was able to reproduce the crash with both midi data from Toontrack and from Prosonic studios, and any number of them. I thought the problem might be because of importing midi files that were not the same bpm's as the composition, so I edited one midi file and set it to have the same bpm as the existing composition, but it still crashed.

Kind regards,
Justin
musicdevelopments wrote:Hi Justin,

thank you for the suggestions. Good points about having everything a context menu equivalent (well, almost everything has a menu item) and if you find the green and red buttons confusing, that means we have to redesign/recolour the buttons.

I tried to import a MIDI file, and annoyingly I could not reproduce that crash. If it is possible for you to send me the MIDI file you imported, I would be grateful, and I could fix it in a few hours.

I think it is possible to import MIDI and keep the existing chord structure intact. It should work if you check "Add Imported Tracks To Current Composition", and disable (make red) all "Convert To Parametric" buttons. This way all notes remain absolute notes.

Thank you for your suggestions!

On a totally unrelated note an update will be released tomorrow which won't use internet activation but a simple keycode as the software protection. All previous keycodes will work.

Thanks,
Attila

Two VSTs I'm having problems with:

u-he Zebralette: When I include the 32bit version, I can select it in the track editor and I get the sound of the default patch when I play. However, when I press "edit", a blank window appears (with white background but nothing in it).

IL Harmor just gives an error dialog "Error instatiating plug-in 'IL Harmor.dll'. Please contact support."

Both plugins work fine in my DAW, FL Studio 10. I have Windows 7 and Rapid Composer 1.91 LE.

In any case: Great program. I was looking for something like this! Obviously, there's still much room for improvement. E.g. the mouse wheel doesn't seem to work in the Inspector pane, and I'd love to see "resizable" scrollbars for zooming like you see them in more and more software. Generally, usability could use a work-over. Sometimes it is not clear what is selected in the phrase editor, so I don't know what will actually change: The phrase in the database, or the one in the composition. Having said that, the core functionality is awesome.

[This is a re-post in the proper thread.]

Hi,

I downloaded the latest Zebralette and IL Harmor (demo) and quickly made a simple composition, and I found that they both work well. I made a screenshot during playback:
http://www.musicdevelopments.com/images ... alette.jpg

Please make sure you are using the latest version of the VST plug-ins because I made the tests using the latest versions.

I agree the workflow and usability must be improved. The whole user interface and workflow will be redesigned for version 2.0.

Thanks,
Attila

I was trying the demo.
Just add a new track and record from midi keyboard.
When I stop the recording the program crashes. Always.

I am using Mac

defocused.net@gmail.com wrote:I was trying the demo.
Just add a new track and record from midi keyboard.
When I stop the recording the program crashes. Always.

I am using Mac
forgot to mention: version 1.9.3

Return to “MusicDevelopments”