Feature requests

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer

musicdevelopments wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:19 pm
David wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:06 am And speaking of Expression, is there something giving more detail about what that exactly is? A MIDI control message no doubt, but assigned to what?
Hi David,

Expression is actually a multiplier for Note On velocities. If it very useful if you want to control the dynamics. So it is not the same as MIDI volume (CC #7), or MIDI expression (CC #11).

:idea: If you use strong/medium/weak accents for the notes instead of velocities, you can set up envelope automation for the accents, which lets you create interesting rhythmic morphing when you decrease the strong accent velocity and increase the other two, for example.

Please check this page which has explanation for the phrase envelope:
http://www.musicdevelopments.com/phrasemagnetst.html

I don't think many people use it or discovered it at all...

Thanks,
Attila
"…multiplier for Note On vel…"; very interesting! Will definitely explore phrase magnets, too:) Is the envelop adjustable in some way? I can't even see it, as it's shown in the tutorial; is that a setting somewhere?

I've been very much enjoying the various accent variations, thanks!

So, what does MIDI Reset Volume in Settings allow or defeat? I've got it unchecked, but if the track Volume slider or envelop is active as a track MIDI controller, it gets recorded in Logic as an event, even though Falcon's the only device that appears to react to it…(mystery to me!)

voice position based generator working will be possible someday
can't see how they can be used with custom voicing currently, practically only the vertical position of the highest note should be changed this case for ex.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

David wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:58 pm "…multiplier for Note On vel…"; very interesting! Will definitely explore phrase magnets, too:) Is the envelop adjustable in some way? I can't even see it, as it's shown in the tutorial; is that a setting somewhere?
In track variations or MIDI controllers click on the small envelope button:
David wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:58 pm So, what does MIDI Reset Volume in Settings allow or defeat?
You can reset MIDI volume (or pan, or all controllers) when playback starts. Otherwise instruments will remember and use the last volume (pan, all CC) settings.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

xbitz wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm voice position based generator working will be possible someday
Yes, definitely. The voicing will be reworked for v4.0. On the other hand the current voice duplicating solution also makes sense sometimes:

With your proposal this would look very differently.
Probably both should be offered, as a choice per phrase.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:51 pm
David wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:58 pm "…multiplier for Note On vel…"; very interesting! Will definitely explore phrase magnets, too:) Is the envelop adjustable in some way? I can't even see it, as it's shown in the tutorial; is that a setting somewhere?
In track variations or MIDI controllers click on the small envelope button:
I'm referring to these grey lines in the tutorial images like these:

musicdevelopments wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm
xbitz wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm voice position based generator working will be possible someday
Yes, definitely. The voicing will be reworked for v4.0. On the other hand the current voice duplicating solution also makes sense sometimes:

With your proposal this would look very differently.
Probably both should be offered, as a choice per phrase.

Thanks,
Attila
probably a generator based solution would be enough like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yav_xcA6qW0
https://librearp.gitlab.io/
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

David wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:04 pmI'm referring to these grey lines in the tutorial images like these:
I see, sorry. If you click on the small hamburger icon in the tracks, the bottom item is "Show Phrase Envelope".

Ah, got it, thank you!

Hi Attila !
Thanks for the new version!)
I have one suggestion and a few little remarks ..
-I often have to edit the notes of phrases on only one track and I would not like to switch to the phrase editor, but I would like to see other tracks when editing the notes of the phrase. I suggest making a switch to the Note Editing for each track (at the head of the track) in the composition window.
Thus, I will see all the tracks of the composition in the Phrase Editing mode, but one (or several) tracks in the mode Note Editing .
Little things ...
-I tried to make my theme design and made all the buttons rounded. But I could not find a way to round the buttons for Timecode Label and Bar Counter.
-When I drag a midi file onto the head of the track, the contents of the track are replaced with notes of the midi file and if the preview is on, I immediately hear these notes. But when I drag the midi file onto the track head with Shift + Control (the empty start of the midi file is trimmed and the conversion into a relative form goes), in this case the preview does not work (which I would really like to)).
Thanks for your work !

Yes, I forgot to add a trifle))
It would be nice to add the ability to hide the names of phrases for all phrases at the same time on percussion tracks.

Hi lulukom,

very good suggestions!
I fixed the button corners for the timecode and bar counter, so they will be displayed properly in the next update or beta version.
To hide phrase names in the percussion track, use this workaround: switch the track to normal track, click on the small menu button under the track name, and select "Hide Phrase Names", then switch the track to percussion track again.

Thanks,
Attila

Yes thank you .
I will add that it would be great for the user to decide for himself in which mode to see the track in the composition)
But first, of course, the controllers for the phrases!)))
With the percussion track, I already do!)

Hi Attila
Thanks for RapidComposer - having fun creating and learning. I realy like the frequency and nature of the product updates and your quick and attentive responses and comments on this forum.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Please add a setting for a default location for compositions (as eg Custom Phrases etc) to keep .rcCOMP and .rcCOMP.history files seperate from other directories.
2) Please add a seperate "browser" for Phrases and for (Phrase) Generators.... or maybe a custom "browser" (floating window list) that alows a user to have their favourites or frequently used items in one window.

Thanks again,
BB

Hi BB,
welcome to this forum! :)

I was planning some kind of project management but I agree, it would be good to have a default folder for compositions.

I'll show you a trick which already works, but this should be made more user friendly (E.g. by inserting a star before each phrase/scale/chord name to toggle "like").

You can add tags to anything (scales, chords, phrases, progressions, etc). E.g. right click on a phrase in the phrase browser.

Type like in the Tags text entry, and press the green plus sign to add it as a tag:

Type {like}!="" in the browser search field.
You get the following: only phrases with the "like" tag are shown:

Thanks,
Attila

Is there some way to have the Inspectors remember size/position? Or if not, this would be a good feature…
Every time I open the wand view for Phrases, it comes up huge with the bottom edge way out of sight and has to be shifted up beyond the upper window edge to resize it, then dragged down to view all. On Mac High Sierra with latest RC ver.

EDIT: Had a crash and the problem didn't persist after that; fingers crossed:)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”