Upgrade from iPad Air to iPad Pro 12.9” iOS13? Help!

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have the iPad Air first gen. (iOS 11.2.5) for studio use primarily for midi apps but to some degree for audio apps. I have the iConnectmidi2+ using the lightning to usb cable to my Windows 10 PC. Works fine.

I will likely give the Air to my niece.

I feel I need more real estate and am considering getting a used iPAd Pro 12.9” First gen. Looks like it has a Lightning port. Can get one for $400 or less. They are on ebay. See craigslist? Local pawnshops?

1. Do the upgrade to iPad Pro 12.9?
2. Should I upgrade to iOS 11, 12 13?
3. I suppose I can transfer all my Air music apps to it? Will the apps work in iOS 13?
4. Will the iConnectmidi2+ work ok with the iPad Pro 12.9” with iOS 11, 12 or 13?
Just checked OK on iOS 13.2.2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_Pro
5. I use the iConnectmidi2+ so do not care much if the battery will work. Do not need portability.
6. Do I really need the pencil?

Are there going to be any issues?
All comments are welcome.

1. Not sure what you're asking here
2. Why would you consider lower than iPadOS 13? I don't see any reason to work with an older version
3. They should work unless you have any old 32-bit apps that have not been updated
4. Sorry, don't know - I connect mine to my MacBook so I don't need any connection apps
5. You probably need to be concerned about the battery as you might need to replace it if it's really old (doesn't happen as much in iPads as other manufacturers' tablet as far as I know though)
6. Not for music. I have one, but only ever use it for drawing

I have an iPad pro 9.7inch from 2016 running iOS 13, it works fine with iConnectMidi2+ (have one myself).
If the iPad Air is running 64bit iOS now with ur music apps, then expect everything to run fine on the pro.
I have the pencil, barely use it for music or whatever. It totally depends on what you plan on using it for.
For iOS 13 there was the issue with inter-app audio in hosts, not sure that has been fixed? I only use AUv3 or standalone apps.

Forgotten and RPH,

Thanks you so much for helping. I know PC's fairly well but a dummy on Apple products. Now with you thumbs up I will very likely well 99.9 % go the iPad Pro route.

From Google, how to move apps from one iPad to another
Using iCloud to transfer Apps from old iPad to new iPad works in a similar way, that is backing up old iPad and restore the backup to the new one with iCloud. 1. Open your old iPad and go to Settings > tap Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Backup > turn it on. Please make sure your iPad has connected to a stable WLAN network.

I use my desktop pc with iTunes to backup and restore, iCloud storage space is expensive.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”