Holy Crap - VCV Rack (with all MI Modules) ported to iOS/iPAD!

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

At $7.99 it might be worth just getting it. Not too many reviews yet, but generally good ratings.

lucky bastards! :lol:

Can’t seem to find out if this is AU or if that’s coming.

topaz wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:54 pm Can’t seem to find out if this is AU or if that’s coming.
Its planned for next year.

I think topaz means AU for iOS

:)

I see what you did there... :hihi:

topaz wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:54 pm Can’t seem to find out if this is AU or if that’s coming.
All I see listed is Core MIDI, so maybe you can’t route the audio to other apps...

Ok cheers

Been doing some digging, and according to this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/commen ... d_ios_app/

there is no IAA or Audiobus, and the developer is only at the stage of "investigating the possibilities of getting audio out of miRack"

Also, from what I gather, this v1.0 build is a fork of 0.x builds of VCV Rack rather than a fork of the current version of VCV Rack.

Might hold off on buying this and stick with Audulus for now.

IAA is deprecated. Audiobus may experience consequences of this, too, eventually, when the IAA API is removed (probably years from now).

As for the thread’s subject itself... It is often that an open source project ported to iOS by a third party is NOT done very well (looking at you, Dexed), and hearing that it’s a FORK of the OLD versions is not encouraging...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Not quite deprecated - it’s being deprecated in iOS 13, but as you say it will be a few years before it disappears.

However, the Audiobus team has said they are already planning on coding around the IAA deprecation.

I got this on a whim since I had some spare time. TL;DR: it's a good port, but I'm probably not going to use it much if at all.

I didn't find any bugs while I was testing and the interface is decent. Panning and zooming with two fingers works like a charm. AFAIK you can only make connections by drag'n'dropping which might make long connections awkward. It's a bummer that double-tapping on a control doesn't reset it to default like most iPad synths, there's a separate mode for that.

Biggest issue for me is that since the interface is emulating hardware, it's kinda the worst of both worlds, everything being really fiddly. VCV isn't ideal with a mouse for the same reasons, but it's still miles better than on a touch screen. I spent the first 10-15 minutes creating a simple subtractive synth patch, of course this includes getting used to the interface for the first time but it was unnecessarily slow in any case. I wanted to create a generative patch but dreaded the amount of work that it would require and kinda stopped there. I might play more with it if I'm bored and don't have access to better tools, but I'm definitely not feeling inspired going back. Just my 2c.

Has anyone with the app figured out how to delete a module after you've added it? Seems like that's missing entirely.

The app is fun, and I appreciate being able to patch on my couch as I watch TV, but as ilmai mentioned, the workflow isn't great compared to a mouse. Patching is difficult and slow, I'm constantly moving things by accident or zooming when I don't want to...it's clunky.

There's also some workflow things and feature additions that could improve this like:

1. Ability to delete a module
2. Undo/Redo
3. Ability to move multiple modules at once
4. Have cable heads light up when signal is being passed like VCV Rack
5. AU plugin
6. Rack 1.x support

At this point, I just hope Mi Rack has a future. Sounds like the developer of Mi Rack created some bad blood when he released a commercial product out of the blue without clarifying license terms or asking permission in advance, and as a result, used graphics in violation of license agreements.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”