Routing audio from iPad to mixer

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm having issues with routing audio out from my iPad to my mixer and wondered if anyone has had a similar issue?

I can play an onscreen keyboard and route the audio to the mixer from the headphone socket, but as soon as I connect my keyboard to the lightning connector (with a USB to lightning adapter) I lose the audio. When I check what the iPad is using as the audio output, it lists my keyboard (Yamaha MX), but I'm not sure how to direct it back to the headphone output.

Anyone experienced anything similar and have a solution?

Bumping to see if anyone has any thoughts on this

That's because the Yamaha MX has a built in USB audio interface, so the iPad is diverting the sound output to the MX automatically. You should find the setup to route incoming USB audio through the MX in the manual, I guess.

If that's the case, it's kind of annoying as I don't want to route the audio to the USB interface - that means I need to connect a laptop to it which I don't always want to do.

I was hoping there was a way of routing it on the iPad to the headphone output when I connect the keyboard, but not sure how I can do that.

Some more infos would be helpfull. You could try with AB or AUM to reroute audio.

the iPad can only accept 1 audio device. So it's either the headphones or the USB. So, your only other options are using a MIDI-only-keyboard, or using a MIDI-Interface with the iPad and connect via MIDI-DIN.

I did get some answers on other forums and people came up with the same thought that you can't override the iPad behavior, and the suggestion to use a MIDI interface.

What I did find is a partial solution - if I turn my Yamaha MX off I can use my Arturia KeyStep if I connect the iPad to my USB hub, and the audio is routed to my mixer via its USB interface. The only problem with this is that the KeyStep has mini keys, so it's difficult to use with some apps that expect a piano-type keyboard to play sounds like piano or organ. At least I have that option though.

Unfortunately, the MX has fixed internal routings, so I can't route the iPad's audio to the MX's audio out. Had I been able to do that, all would have been resolved.

From a GS post I made last June..

I recently switched away from going out the headphone jack of an iPad Pro, to my mixer/interface -> Logic Pro. Gain staging was hit/miss, and there was a lot of noise in the audio. What I changed up, was going out via USB through an iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4++ interface. The iCM4+ comes with a Lightning-USB cable. It's not cheap.. and the setup practically takes an Engineering degree to get your head around - but once it is set.. it has been rock solid. There's a ton of (good and bad) stuff I could say about the iConnectivity stuff, but one thing is certain... Using Lightning/USB out to a DAW eliminated noise, etc.

I haven't used my iPad Pro in months, for music - but when I was... there was a huge, noticeable difference in noise by using the iConnectivity cable and connections. Going direct out, through the headphone jack was whack..

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”