ios synths that also have vst versions?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently picked up an ipad and am looking forward to taking a look at what synths are available on it. For it to really be useful to me I would like to be able to make patches on the go and then import them into a vst on my desktop PC (Windows). I know there are a couple of ipad synths that have vst counterparts such as Korg's legacy collection, Synthmaster One and Z3ta - are there any other must-haves?

don't know about 'must-have' but i kinda like Sunrizer http://www.beepstreet.com/plugins/sunrizer
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Sugar bytes stuff: Cyclop, unique, factory, etc.

Korg Gadget

MadDogE134 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:02 am don't know about 'must-have' but i kinda like Sunrizer http://www.beepstreet.com/plugins/sunrizer
Great suggestion! I have Sunrizer on my PC and like it a lot. Will definitely pick this up!
jeffb01 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:04 am Sugar bytes stuff: Cyclop, unique, factory, etc.
Awesome, did not know Sugar Bytes did ios apps - have Cyclop and it's great - will need to check out their other stuff - thanks!
dangayle wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:06 am Korg Gadget
Looks awesome, this wasn't even on my radar - good suggestion!

Audulus (not sure about VST, but you can run it on Windows)

First: App Store synth addictions are expensive, and apps have no resale value.

Second: Z3ta might be abandonware.

Third: SunVox is truly cross-platform, and amazing if it clicks for you, and incredibly cheap. You can use everything that you do in one place in the other places without any trouble. It’s not a vst and it's not for everybody, but I think it's worth a mention.

Anyway, a few more to be aware of: DRC, Nave, WaveGenerator (maybe a few of the PPG synths), Quanta/Phosphor 2 (Audio Damage) and Thor (not a vst, but Reason folk should know).

Egoist (Sugar Bytes) isn't a synth, but it's lots of fun on an iPad.

I'm not convinced that any of the cross-platform synths are truly ‘must-haves’ tbh. For instance, I have a soft spot for iWAVESTATION but not everybody will. Of all of the iPad synths, the 3 Moogs are still my favourites and they're all exclusive to iOS. iPulsaret, LayR and SynthScaper are up there too. Neo-Soul Keys is probably my favourite Rhodes on any platform.

There's always a way to get your important sounds into the other thing (sampling*, Dropbox, Ableton export etc.) so don't feel too constrained by that. Feel constrained by time instead! We can't do it all, so do the best stuff - whatever that means to you :)

* be aware of SynthJacker - I use the AutoSampler in MainStage, a Mac thing, but it's the same principle

Companies with parallel iOS/VST releases
- Alexander Zolotov (warmplace.ru)
- Audio Damage
- Klevgränd
- Wolfgang Palm
- Sugar Bytes
- VirSyn (partly)

single synths

- Poison 202 (Mac Only)
- Thor (slightly different)

(FX)
- DDMF
- FabFilter
- Positive Grid

Our OB-Xd synth has iOS and desktop releases (which is on sale right now and also has a special intro price at Apple Store).

https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/
Tim Tanaka @ discoDSP Plug-ins for iOS, macOS, Windows and Linux
OB-Xd Oberheim based synth for iPad

Thanks everyone so far - these are super helpful suggestions! A lot of stuff I either didn't know about or would not think of.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”