Relative newb to iPad/iOS, used to Windows

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tl;dr version - 2017 iPad. Love it, kinda abandoned windows. Used to Windows. Used to monitoring cpu and also being aware of what VSTs are lite on cpu. Used to tweaking Windows. Kinda can’t do that. Am I wrong? Wadda ya do to deal with this stuff?

Long version:
Years ago I acquired an old iPad 2. I kinda got used to how things worked. Things were very different than they are now in the world of iOS music production. I had already enjoyed futzing around with Caustic on Windows, so I bought it for the iPad, but REAPER on Win7 remained my mainstay.
That iPad was...wonky and unreliable. I abandoned it. Oddly enough, earlier this year I was given another...and looked again. Finding the landscape changed prompted me to spend over half the money I had saved to finally get a new laptop on an unused, still in the box 2017 iPad. I was in love. Bizarre for me personally, as I’d been burned when I purchased a then new, then top of the line iMac G3 in ‘01 to have it completely and totally die in the spring of ‘05 (meanwhile my XP desktop and Win7 laptop are still chugging along 12 and 9 years later respectively perfectly well today).

I had no idea how hard I’d fall for the machine, the OS and so forth. Had I known, I’d have spent all of that laptop money on an even better iPad.
Anyway!

So, I’m used to a Windows paradigm. I get one needs to change their way of thinking and change manner of working. I’m cool with that. However...
I’m used to being able to monitor cpu ..with a project...with individual parts or individual instruments.
Due to the structure and manner of working...I’m not finding any way to do this in iOS.
I’m also used to being able to tweak the OS to facilitate better results for this stuff. Beyond a few ‘surface’ bits, this seems impossible in iOS.

I’m wondering if I’m entirely wrong, and if not, how others deal with or combat these issues. It feels bizarre to me to only know the cpu is maxed out when it’s ‘too late’, as it were.
As a hobbiest, I enjoyed making use of low cpu vsts....now...I’ve little to no idea what iOS synths are or are not (though I read the fellow who designed the sample engine utilized in AudioKits Digital D1 remark on Synth One being “a bit of a cpu hog”, as well as others remarking on NanoStudios Obsidian synth being very lite on cpu...NanoStudio 2 is my iOS go-to now, so thats nice...but....I don’t really know about these other instruments or where I stand in real time. So, it’s odd to me. :?:
Last edited by MachFront on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

This fetish-like CPU obsession is primarily is Windows thing, although Mac people do that as well. On iOS you can use a monitor app to monitor the device's CPU. It does not have that included, but it exists in the app world.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 am This fetish-like CPU obsession is primarily is Windows thing, although Mac people do that as well. On iOS you can use a monitor app to monitor the device's CPU. It does not have that included, but it exists in the app world.
Now see, I looked for one but didn’t commit. What I’m puzzled about pertaining to that is... as many apps won’t run together at once how would it even work? I mean, I can watch YouTube and bring up Messenger in tandem...so some do and will....but having an always there task manager such as in Win doesn’t seem to be a thing in the same manner. I’d be happy to learn I’m wrong.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Well, systems without active cooling need to intelligently manage cpu performance of individual tasks and allocate system resources accordingly, so a task manager would not be as useful as it is on a standard Windows or even MacOS system. But I‘m not an expert on this, so somebody else might chime in here.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Also beware that ALL apps for real-time audio will ALWAYS run on a single core on iOS.
Also most measures of cpu loads are useless in iOS since it works a bit different on iOS and sometimes it might show you the same amount of usage even if you double the load. More load will allow the cpu to run faster (until a certain point).
Thermal throttle might be another thing beside RAM limitations as well.
But yes, some apps can bring the latest iPad down very fast but super optimized tools (and still good sounding synth) like Obsidian inside Nanostudio 2 can let you run dozens of instances with 128 or even 64 buffer.
It‘s simple as „its good until you hear it crackle.“
For iOS audio apps single core performance is the important thing. So far no multi-core possible.

I had so much troubles with double savings on my pc thanks to itunes (

mgw38 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 am This fetish-like CPU obsession is primarily is Windows thing, although Mac people do that as well. On iOS you can use a monitor app to monitor the device's CPU. It does not have that included, but it exists in the app world.
No it doesn't, Apple offers no way at all to do accurate CPU testing in IOS, any CPU monitoring app is near useless in realworld testing.
Duh

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”