Copying MIDI from Smart Instrument tracks on iOS GarageBand

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Am I missing something really obvious/obtuse, or is there absolutely no way to copy MIDI data from a Smart Instrument track to a non-Smart Instrument track in GarageBand on iOS?

When I try to drag a region from a Smart Instrument track to an AudioUnit track (or any other), the drag process shows a “no” (slash) symbol. Copy and paste don’t do a damn thing either (whether copying between tracks in the track view, or copying notes from the region edit view into a different track’s region edit view).

It’s shit like this that repeatedly stops me using GarageBand on iOS. The tool is free, and yet it is actually pretty good overall for starting songs on the iPad (especially considering the expression available in Smart Instruments and the ability to use touch keyboards with different scales), but for these stupid frelling weird inconsistencies/limitations! :x What possible sense can there be for Apple to block copy and paste between these types of tracks??
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

The only way I've found to extract the midi from smart instruments on iPad is to export and open the song file in Logic Pro on Mac.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”