iConnecMIDI2+ and 2018 iPad Pro Setup. Need help please...

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used to be able to use my iConnectMIDI2+ in my DAW where I would send MIDI out from a track to my iPad and receive audio back into my DAW and record. For some reason with my new iPad Pro (2018) it doesn't seem to work. Is anyone using the iConnectMIDI now and have this MIDI Audio thing worked out? Would love some enlightenment...

thanks!

Greg K.

What exactly does not work?

I have a iCM2+ but with a Lightning-based iPad, not USB-C.

mindnoise wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:04 am What exactly does not work?

I have a iCM2+ but with a Lightning-based iPad, not USB-C.
The MIDI to and from the iPad wasn't working and the correct port names were not showing up correctly In Bitwig. But I was able to get it to work using a Hardware Instrument device. Once I did that, all the ports were available. Something has changed but it's hard to know what. I get the feeling that the original iConnectMIDI2+ is not as well supported as the newer models.

Do you have the iCM2+ connected directly to the iPad via USB-C cable?

USB-C adapter cables can also be tricky, there are some that only work one-way aka the Host MUST be on the USB-C end, these cables can create problems.

Did you check for the latest firmware for the iCM2 (2.0)?

I am using mine iCM2+ with iPro 2015 and iOS 12.1.1. and Mac (OS14.2) - no problems.

Are you on PC or Mac? on Mac you need to make an "Aggregate Device" in the Audio MIDI-App that includes you regular audio interface and the ICM2+. There is someting similar on Windows but I have no clue about that.

I don't know how much power the USB-C iPads can deliver, as the iCM2+ is quite hungry, as you might know. That can be a problem too.
If so you'd have to spent $80 for the Apple Multi-AV-USB-C Adapter, which is essentially the equivalent of the USB3-Lightning-Adapter for older iPads.

mindnoise wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:01 pm Do you have the iCM2+ connected directly to the iPad via USB-C cable?

USB-C adapter cables can also be tricky, there are some that only work one-way aka the Host MUST be on the USB-C end, these cables can create problems.

Did you check for the latest firmware for the iCM2 (2.0)?

I am using mine iCM2+ with iPro 2015 and iOS 12.1.1. and Mac (OS14.2) - no problems.

Are you on PC or Mac? on Mac you need to make an "Aggregate Device" in the Audio MIDI-App that includes you regular audio interface and the ICM2+. There is someting similar on Windows but I have no clue about that.

I don't know how much power the USB-C iPads can deliver, as the iCM2+ is quite hungry, as you might know. That can be a problem too.
If so you'd have to spent $80 for the Apple Multi-AV-USB-C Adapter, which is essentially the equivalent of the USB3-Lightning-Adapter for older iPads.
yes to having it connected with USB-C and yes to latest firmware. And also yes, I have an Aggregate Device set up on my iMac. I'm on OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

As I mentioned (I think) that it was working fine before with my iPad Air 2. So I was surprised that it didn't just all work as expected. Maybe it does have something to do with my USB-C cable (Cable Creations)

Thanks for the response! I do wonder if power could have something to do with it. I still don't understand why the ports were not available right away and until I used the Hardware Device.

iConnectivity has a Facebook user group which is quite responsive:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/192630197766888/

I have seen this exact discussion pop up there.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

killmaster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:32 pm
Thanks for the response! I do wonder if power could have something to do with it. I still don't understand why the ports were not available right away and until I used the Hardware Device.
sorry I could not help further, only thing I can correlate is that since I moved to Mojave, the system is giving me all kinds of little quirks, I did not experience before...

kovacs wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm iConnectivity has a Facebook user group which is quite responsive:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/192630197766888/

I have seen this exact discussion pop up there.
Great! Thanks for the tip! Didn't know about this. I posted out a few days ago to the iConnectivity forum and have heard nothing and only had 7 views, so not much action happening there. And they seem to have taken down the earlier videos showing how to set up the iConnectMIDI2+ with a Mac. Maybe the Facebook page will be more responsive...
Last edited by killmaster on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindnoise wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:21 pm
killmaster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:32 pm
sorry I could not help further, only thing I can correlate is that since I moved to Mojave, the system is giving me all kinds of little quirks, I did not experience before...
I very much appreciate your suggestions! Yeh, other quirks have happened here too :)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”