Korg Gadget. Best IAP?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gadget

So, one year on, I can confirm that best IAP for KG is Montpelier.
By far the most sophisticated synth, can do all sorts of melodic stuff and drums as well.

Version 2 update brought us the MS-20 disguised as Memphis. Since I own iMS-20 it wasn't an actual purchase for me. And even though it's cool, I doubt I would part with my money just for it.

Bottom line - buy Mono/Poly and may the forths be with you. And fifths.

Next purchase would be Bilbao.

mindnoise wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:48 pmThere is a reason why this is called 'gadget' :D
Have a sentimental story with Chiang Mai as a Gadget DS-8/707. I really love 4-op FM synth, especially the Genesis. So glad to have the RYM2612 to the rescue. But I always adore the deep and dark sound of the FB-01, which is using the YM2164 as in the DS-8/707. Not sure if all sounds the same, but different DACs may produce a slightly different sound. Really hope that Plogue will cover all the small details with the upcoming Chipsynth MD, with 2 layers like the Porta FM.

As much as I like DX7 V, the FB-01 has that in your face and dark character which is lovely to my taste. It won't be my main source for 4-op FM synth, since I prefer the Genesis which imho has a bit more open sound. But really want it to compliment the RYM 2612. I hardly hope that Chiangmai will be the answer, but it's not. While has an almost similar structure of the DS-8 (707 has no fxs), but it's a bit thinner sounding, especially in the low register. After playing more, I love it! It has that dark and dreamy character, with a lovely vintage sounding delay. A bit thinner but very musical and compliments the RYM2612 very nicely, it's a micro DS-8 to me. Even if Plogue came with a super YM2xxx synth which includes the sound of the FB-01. I still like Chiang Mai for what it is, a very nice gadget, a filler for many situation.

But I hope Korg would do a proper DS-8. I always dream to have hundreds of great sounding combis out of such a synth :phones:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

So the love affair continue, seems like Korg can read my mind. What an amazing update!

Otorii: As the Genesis fan, it's awesome to have this kind of gadget. Maybe it's just some lo-fi samples for some people. But to see it coming directly from Sega, I see it as an authentic vintage sample playback gadget. Most of all the drums, especially the toms are great! I can see a potential when they may update the contents. It's not surprising if the next Gadget could be a true YM2612 synth.

Ebina: I was not too excited about a rompler FM. But what a mistake! Based on the YM2203 three-channel sound chip, it can produce the big FM tone that I've been waiting for. The chip is 4-op per channel. The samples sound great, to me it's a vintage sample playback dedicated for lo-fi FM. Not for just chiptune music, with a wash of reverb it's a characterful ambient synth. Perfectly complimenting the RYM2612 and Korg Gadgets other instruments. Love their lo-fi and chiptune Gagdets.

Warszawa: This is the biggest thing for me and certainly my pick for the best IAP. I love Wavetable synth and own a MicrowaveXT, uQ, Pigments, PPG V3, Dune3, Ableton Wavetable, Nave, etc. But Warszawa has it's own flavor. One part it has the charm of those 4-op FM synth, on the other part it sounds like a gadget Waldorf Wave. I'm not into a bright and harsh sounding Wavetable synth and most of the newer are like that. This is really my kind of Wavetable synth, it has that calming and religious quality, while able to sound modern as well. The implementation of Sync, XMod, VPM and deep sounding Sub-Osc is able to make the simple synth sounds diverse. Not to mention the cool fx section. It's very easy to use, cpu friendly and so rewarding, feels like an old Waldorf. If only Nave would simply be a plugin version of the MicrowaveXT, it sounds too bright and sterile in comparison.

But since Korg has a love connection with Waldorf, it's not surprising if it has the DNA. This is not their 1st Wavetable synth, it's Kamata which sounds character is a bit closer to the PPG. So both complimenting each other really nicely. I hope Korg will do a full 2 Oscs version of the synth, hopefully with layering capabilities.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

I never seem to be able to go past Chiangmai. That little synth is just absolutely amazing.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:19 am I never seem to be able to go past Chiangmai. That little synth is just absolutely amazing.

/C
Yeah, and I love that UI. I wondered what inspired it.

Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:02 am Yeah, and I love that UI. I wondered what inspired it.
I think the design was inspired by old HiFi gear from the 80s/90s.
For example the Luxman L-210 amp: wikipedia.org
Or the Marantz PM-94: www.hifi-wiki.de

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”