Midi Designer Pro 2

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote:Hi Dan,

Is it possible to make a note per midi channel keyboard where each note can modulate based on the position in the key? Like keys that are also X-Y pads?
Hi there, unfortunately I missed this question.

Yes. Drumpads in MIDI Designer.

http://mididesigner.com/drumpads-in-midi-designer/

Regarding your difficulty connecting: MD doesn't provide Lightning cable out of the box. Right now you can use musicIO MIDI (I'm a co-author, see http://musicioapp.com) and midimittr (which had some latency issues previously but they might be fixed).

Good luck, sorry again for the VERY late reply. The best way to reach us is via the support email on the App Store, via Support Email in the app, or via http://mididesigner.com/contact.

Best!
Dan
Dan Rosenstark
Author & CEO
MIDI Designer
dream | create | play
Your perfect MIDI Controller for iOS

pdxindy wrote:Just a follow up on this thread.

I never managed to get Midi Designer working between my laptop and ipad pro. It is way too complicated and I did not find any clear instructions that worked. I wanted to connect via a usb cable.

I just want something that works, and I can go buy any midi controller and simply plug it in.

So this is a warning for anyone who just wants to use this tool and not delve into a deep pit of learning just to do stuff... avoid it... for ease of use, it sucks.
Yes it's great in principal with the prospect of total control over every parameter in the universe but as a musician with a low frustration threshold I find it all too fiddly and time consuming and would probably only end up sweeping a filter anyway. I'm sure younger and/or more tenacious people will make great use of MD2 but it kept dropping the network connection between my iPad and laptop so it's wires and a hardware controller with one chunky knob for me. Or maybe a few. And a slider is always handy for inserting something smoothly;) Still good value for the above mentioned potential functionality though so it was worth a try.

damonb wrote: Yes it's great in principal with the prospect of total control over every parameter in the universe but as a musician with a low frustration threshold I find it all too fiddly and time consuming and would probably only end up sweeping a filter anyway. I'm sure younger and/or more tenacious people will make great use of MD2 but it kept dropping the network connection between my iPad and laptop so it's wires and a hardware controller with one chunky knob for me. Or maybe a few. And a slider is always handy for inserting something smoothly;) Still good value for the above mentioned potential functionality though so it was worth a try.
Thanks so much for considering MDP2. Agreed, an app (running on expensive hardware) can be more fiddly than MIDI controller ($50 and up, starting with the Korg nanoKontrol, right?) or using knobs that are already on some hardware you own (great option for keyboard players, DJs, etc.).

However, a lot of this fiddliness is in the initial setup, and depends on the hardware you own. We've had users rock it out with wireless connections for years with no issue (including Todd Rundgren, on stage, on tour, for an entire season), and with wired connections using musicIO or another, similarly economical equivalent (i.e., near free).

And we're just an email away, and can help you get this all set up.

The issue is this: you say, "one chunky knob for me. Or maybe a few..." But needs expand, and it might not always be the right thing for the music ("all you need is four tracks!"), but there are huge advantages to virtual. Which is why I've moved my MIDI controller to the iPad, and why I wrote the App. As soon as you want to label controls, label values on controls, draw relationships between controls... you need to be in software, even if you lose the tactile advantages.

Anyway, if you have the time and interest, spend 15 minutes looking at my Walkthrough video on MIDI Designer Pro (which will be getting updated in the next month or so) and at least get an idea of what's possible with MIDI Designer Pro 2.

To each his or her own, OF COURSE, but I think it's important to see what you could gain for an increase in fiddliness.

Or not..

Anyway, it's late on Friday night and I thought I'd respond to this, hope it's clear that I'm friendly to all positions and I definitely see your points and appreciate the even-handed point of view you express above.

Thanks and have a great weekend everybody! And now it's time to make some music/noise...

Best!
Dan
Dan Rosenstark
Author & CEO
MIDI Designer
dream | create | play
Your perfect MIDI Controller for iOS

Thread resurrection. It's on sale for $10 on BF. Might get it finally...

vitocorleone123 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:51 pm Thread resurrection. It's on sale for $10 on BF. Might get it finally...
I went for it. Iterated an existing template for my SE-02 already so it included bank and program changes and another XY pad. And better colors (black and white).

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”