Impaktor - just get it!

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Exceptional work and imaginative use of the app. That's how I thought of it, too, after playing with it for an hour or so. I was already thinking of how it would sound re-pitched, etc.

DrApostropheX wrote:Yes, it has a 6-track loop recorder (you can load one of the ~90 or so drum instruments onto each of the six tracks), so you can layer kick, snare, percussion, etc. and it is a BLAST to play around with. You have to make sure you're using headphones, though, or the audio from playing loops over the speakers will trigger the drum sounds on the track you're trying to play. It is great for quickly layering up drum parts, and as you can mute and solo each track individually (as well as set volume and pan for each part), and then bounce down to either a file or AudioCopy, you can quickly come up with variations on your main beat (by muting, soloing) and bounce those down. It also has a "live" audio recorder, so you can record the output of your loops while you're playing another part. Very cool, but I prefer the bounce method as it's more controlled ;-)

As far as I can tell, there's no background audio in Impaktor (probably for the best) but I believe DrumJam has background audio and would work with Impaktor -- I can try this tonight.
Can I verify that you can bounce each track when you "solo" it.
This is cool since now I can import into Logic as individual tracks.

I don't own this app, but this video is cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn0KdSg6zzY
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

I just bought this and its awesome. I've been experimenting with this and been using my voice too for a sort of vocoder effect. This is a cool app. Only problem is its upsetting my neighbours :D :)

Just got it. Very happy with it. I like rhythms with a bit of swing, so this will help make natural sounding loops.
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Ok .. My experiment for today
Piezo kick pedal ('shadow'stomp box)
Via irig into iphone into impaktor app!!
My stomp pedal has now become an electronic drum pad!! Freekin unreal ;)
(and no need to worry about headphones!! ;)
Edit- records like a dream!
It's a great setup i must say, will take it to rehearsal thurs and see how it handles all the noise.. So far just at home tho it's very awesome!

shanecgriffo wrote:Ok .. My experiment for today
It's a great setup i must say, will take it to rehearsal thurs and see how it handles all the noise.. So far just at home tho it's very awesome!
-(playing it by hand not with my foot b.t.w)

OK this is really good.
I'm surprised how fast this is. It actually feels much faster than a korg wavedrum mini. I returned the wavedrum because it didn't feel natural to me, this app is far more sensitive and has less latency.
The only drawback is that you have to use headphones.

plastic wrote:OK this is really good.
I'm surprised how fast this is. It actually feels much faster than a korg wavedrum mini. I returned the wavedrum because it didn't feel natural to me, this app is far more sensitive and has less latency.
The only drawback is that you have to use headphones.
Did you read my post about success triggering with piezo pad?.. No headphones! ;)
And also in some situations where iPad/iPhone is located far enough away and pointing away from speakers it has worked fine for me too..

wowowo awesome !!!! :shock:

Thanks for the info you posted, it's a really nice setup:)
do you know any cheaper alternatives than the shadow stomp box ?? (really nice piece of kit btw)

Rubberneck wrote:

Thanks for the info you posted, it's a really nice setup:)
do you know any cheaper alternatives than the shadow stomp box ?? (really nice piece of kit btw)
I tried it with a couple of cheapish guitar contact mics stuck to a tabletop but they didn't trigger so well at all. Might get a friend to bring a piezo contact/trigger to work and try that.
One problem I've noticed is that with my iPad connected to a stereo or p.a if someone turns on a power switch it triggers a hit in impaktor and usually full velocity! .. (some jolt must be coming back thru the headphone jack from the p.a etc)
This could be a problem at a venue with fans/air con/heaters etc switching on/off etc
The shadow stomp is nice for the task as it feels quite good for your hands, I've had it a few years now and find it pretty good on the job for solo/ drummerless playing.. I just usually boost low and cut hi on the desk and it's cool.. I go for a slightly muffled'heartbeat' type sound.. Not too punchy

I bought it about a week and a half ago. One issue - I can't see the bounced audio .wav files showing up in iTunes on my PC when I sync. Any help here?

Best audio/music App I've bought for a while. Really impressed with this. It's both great fun to use but I think very deep and useful at the same time. A lot of music Apps seem to full into the fun/toy or more serious/pro categories. I think Impaktor fulls into both! ;) For the price no iOS musos should be without this one ;) Non musos as well. I gave it to my wife to try and thought I'd have to prize the iPad out of her hands!

shanecgriffo wrote:
Rubberneck wrote:

I tried it with a couple of cheapish guitar contact mics stuck to a tabletop but they didn't trigger so well at all. Might get a friend to bring a piezo contact/trigger to work and try that.
One problem I've noticed is that with my iPad connected to a stereo or p.a if someone turns on a power switch it triggers a hit in impaktor and usually full velocity! .. (some jolt must be coming back thru the headphone jack from the p.a etc)
This could be a problem at a venue with fans/air con/heaters etc switching on/off etc
The shadow stomp is nice for the task as it feels quite good for your hands, I've had it a few years now and find it pretty good on the job for solo/ drummerless playing.. I just usually boost low and cut hi on the desk and it's cool.. I go for a slightly muffled'heartbeat' type sound.. Not too punchy
tnx for the tips, I was thinking about connecting one of my friend's yamaha DTX drumpad... do you think it will work ?
and having no iRig a Y cable shoud be allright for having trigger + audio out right ?

Rubberneck wrote:
shanecgriffo wrote:
Rubberneck wrote:

tnx for the tips, I was thinking about connecting one of my friend's yamaha DTX drumpad... do you think it will work ?
and having no iRig a Y cable shoud be allright for having trigger + audio out right ?
I'd heard once you could use a video/stereo audio lead (red white yellow style) but I never got it to work.
Has anyone else tried any other sorts of Triggering?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”