Impaktor - just get it!

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TabSel wrote:Does it MIDI out?
No MIDI in, out, thru, sideways, or with a chainsaw.

BUT it does audio recording and AudioCopy, which are the two biggies in my book. To be honest, I'm really not sure that it needs MIDI, though I would LOVE to be able to play some of the tuned instruments with a MIDI keyboard. Maybe in V2?
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

And i'd love to trigger midi synth by finger drumming on my desk...

Leslie wrote:It does have "multitrack" sequencer, but very limited and it does not have virtual MIDI or AUDIO.
It is a TOY just like Ocarina only instead of flute you have drum sounds (editable) instead.
It is a TOY - keep that in mind.
Korg Wavedrum - no recording, no midi ... a toy?
giq

DrApostropheX wrote:
TabSel wrote:Does it MIDI out?
No MIDI in, out, thru, sideways, or with a chainsaw.

BUT it does audio recording and AudioCopy, which are the two biggies in my book. To be honest, I'm really not sure that it needs MIDI, though I would LOVE to be able to play some of the tuned instruments with a MIDI keyboard. Maybe in V2?
For that I think it will need its own noise generator. Or audio in via audiobus?

itoa wrote:
Leslie wrote:It does have "multitrack" sequencer, but very limited and it does not have virtual MIDI or AUDIO.
It is a TOY just like Ocarina only instead of flute you have drum sounds (editable) instead.
and a Boesendorfer grand as wel?l .... hmmm?

giq

For people who need MIDI, Voxkit works pretty well for generating MIDI from audio for controlling percussion sounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkSRKFx45EI

I'm jealous, I don't have an iPad or anything iOS. I might have to go over to my mom's house and buy it to use on her iPad. :lol:

Anyways, this is totally awesome and innovative! It's genius to use the built-in mic in this way. For those complaining about midi output, I honestly don't see it as a necessity. It's more so like an acoustic instrument than anything, but in virtual form. Cool thing it allows for audio recording, that's great enough IMO. Too many spoiled people in the midi world. :hihi:

Couple questions...
Are there "realistic" acoustic style sounds or at least TR808/909 style sound kits available in this app? I wouldn't mind to bust out some Hiphop style beats or House, minimal, EDM stuff.

Is an Android version coming soon? :)

Had a drum app acouple of years ago that triggered by the mic (cant remember its name now) but ended up using the screen more.. Whats the advantage with this one? Why not just hit the screen instead of tabletop?

itoa wrote:
Bongos - no midi
Real drum kit - no midi

Etc,

This is an instrument rather than a midi trigger. Advantages, very velocity sensitive (not limited by midi 127 layers), and as its a drum, velocity sensitivity is all that matters! You realy need to try it to see how expressive it is, it is as mood as korg wavedrum IMHO, and that cost hundrededs..

I have been recording loops then dropping them in live, you can slice the loop to midi if you must!

I would LOVE to see someone (everyone!) add this option to vst stuff (tremor first please!) so that I can point my mike at my desk and pay it like a drum.

SLiC wrote:I would LOVE to see someone (everyone!) add this option to vst stuff (tremor first please!) so that I can point my mike at my desk and pay it like a drum.

Oh yeah!! That would be awesome! Hopefully this iOS app definitely does inspire plugin devs to make their own versions of this awesome technique using a mic. I'd totally buy a VST version of this app. No iOS device for me atm. :(

Oh i took a chance and took the plunge!
Very nice! I even got it working ok thru speakers .. Here's my trick-
Standing up against the back of my puffy old futon couch so the mic is sort of deadened by the couch, then slapping away on the couch! Works ok at a not too loud volume! .. Maybe on a pillow cushion might work too- just for jamming ;)
Edit- standing on a pillow on the couch works best so far.. Slap couch for duller sound, slap pillow for crisper sound! And overall volume can be louder thru stereo! It works ok with most sounds but not all.. It even triggers if you stomp round on the floor ( carpeted wooden) which my 4yo will enjoy when she comes to stay tomorrow.

BASSDRIVE wrote:
SLiC wrote:I would LOVE to see someone (everyone!) add this option to vst stuff (tremor first please!) so that I can point my mike at my desk and pay it like a drum.

Oh yeah!! That would be awesome! Hopefully this iOS app definitely does inspire plugin devs to make their own versions of this awesome technique using a mic. I'd totally buy a VST version of this app. No iOS device for me atm. :(
Again, Reaktor PRISM does exactly this.
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/pro ... ntent=1456

I've got this working fine on my iphone on a table thru speakers! (and quite loud)
-long rca lead to stereo and facing the mic away from the speakers
Also have a reasonably heavy rubberish case on my phone which may help deaden unwanted triggering.
It's very cool for solo loungeroom jamming.. I wonder if it would work with someone strumming guitar in the room tho.. Must check.

What makes this app so unique and useful is first, there are no samples. This is 100% synthesized and yet sounds AMAZING. You can quite easily cook your own and I have already created quite a few drums that sound really good and surprisingly realistic. You may notice a lot of ethnic drum presets come with this - that is not by accident. The way the various synthesis methods work, you get a real sense that this was made to model and shape various ethnic instruments more than real ones - but you can also get those excellent techno, house and club drums as well.

Second, this utilizes the mic in a wide variety of ways. One of the synthesis methods allows to use the mic input as an actual instrument sound - not a sample, but more of a way to synthesize in realtime the incoming sounds. You can get some really funky sounds with this. I don't know if you can save these sounds or if this is strictly for performance. The main way the onboard mic is used to full effect, and the point to this entire app, is to recognize the various velocities of sounds that are coming through the mic and playing the chosen preset instrument at those velocities. It is VERY, VERY sensitive and amazingly, does all this in absolute realtime. If you CAREFULLY lay down the iPad (or iPhone - I am using an iPad) and make sure it is shock absorbed (I am using a stand called the 'Arrowhead' that allows the iPad to be used in a laying down position and is made of rubber, so it shock absorbs at the same time), you can then use the flat surface to 'drum' on with your hands and fingers. Even the lightest touch registers and can be used to amazing effect.

It is VERY important that you have the iPad's mic (or iPhone's mic) right in front of you for best performance. If you have a desk, table or counter top, these are perfect surfaces. Also, make sure the room is nice and quiet. If you remember back in school when you used to drum on the desk as if it were bongos (mostly because of outright boredom or to piss off the teacher on purpose) - same principle here.

You have 6 layers and this app really quantizes perfectly to a wide variety of time signatures. You can also choose how many measures - from one to an entire song.

I cannot tell you how much fun this app is - and yet, so useful in laying down original beats. You can copy sessions one to the other, so you can start simple and build up - there are no limits to the number of sessions, so you can create some really complex progressions - or you can just chill and make them nice and simple.

For $5, this app has to be one of the best percussion apps available. My four favorites right now are Modrum, Molten, DrumJam and now Impaktor.

Mike

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”