TAL-Mod - Some feedback...

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Patrick,

Here is some feedback after using the TAL-Mod for a while. Most of it is subjective, but I'm trying to be honest and give you some fresh eyes. There are bug reports as well.

First of all I'd like to compliment you on another awesome instrument. Its ease of use and quality are brilliant, especially for this price tag. I hope you will continue to expand on the current version! Maybe you could share a bit on your vision for it and what you're working on?

Some bugs:

- In Ableton Live 10.0.2, using the AU version, while playing and quickly switching presets sometimes the sound disappears and only comes back after loading a different preset. This is probably a Live problem, since I have not seen it in Logic Pro X.
- In Ableton Live 10 and Logic Pro X, using both the VST and AU version, after clicking on the menu and then focussing on something else in the DAW, a detached plugin menu stays on top of the screen, whereas the plugin window itself dissappears. The menu must dissappear, along with the plugin window.

Some small things:

- I'd like to see a hold or latch option for the arpeggiator and sequencer, or maybe in general. It's nice while designing sounds and incredibly useful when performing.
- I'd prefer the list of preset directories to be alphabetically sorted in the menu. To me there seems to be no logic to the sorting at the moment.
- I'd like to see the active preset directory in the menu as well, especially since the directories aren't sorted alphabetically and I use the previous and next buttons quite often, sometimes causing a jump in directory.
- I'd like to see one (or several) more mod envelope(s). They're really useful and there's only one, compare to two (additional) ADSR's and two LFO's.
- I think the modulation amount menus feel a bit clunky and requires you to open and close those little menus. Also I have mistakenly clicked the [x] button several times, expecting it to close the menu, only to realize it removes the modulation. Maybe Native Instruments' Massive modulation amount workflow has some inspiration. On the other hand, dealing with a variable number of sources is harder. I know clicking outside the menu closes it, but a dedicated close button (which I'd use!) and a clear distinction between a close and modulation remove buttons would probably be a quick win here.
- I don't get the P1-P4 knobs. I still need to do some digging and I guess they're performance knobs, but it would be awesome if their purpose and use is more clear at first sight. The simplicity and clarity is one of the strong points of this instrument.

Some bigger things (possibly for the distant future):

- I'd love to see a bit more work on the visual layout of the elements and the details of the elements themselves. You did an awesome job with BassLine-101 and U-NO-LX-V2. Some more depth, as apposed to the current flat design, would give me a different feel.
- I'd love to be able to alter the order of the effects in the chain.
- I'd love to see audio cable patching, besides the modulation patching. Including patching with FX. A bit like Softube's Modular, but the modules themselves can be fixed.

Please do with it as you see fit. Thanks again for this instrument!

Best,

David

Is Patrick actually looking here? I'm not so worried about my feedback per se, more about addressing the bugs properly.

Usually no. Patrick isn't used to read the KVR forum.

The best is to write him directly, using this form

https://tal-software.com/admin/support

or using the email address indicated in the last line of this page

https://tal-software.com/about

When the text to send him is a bit complex the best is to use the email address.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Thanks, I've sent him an email!

Return to “TAL Software”