forward audio releases Freebie Plug-in: faIRmageddon - Impulse Response Designer

Official support for: forward-audio.de
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.forward-audio.com/fairmageddon

We are proud to announce the release of faIRmageddon, a new Guitar Cabinet Impulse Response Designer Plug-in for macOS and Windows.

With faIRmageddon you'll be able to load, combine, adjust, merge and manipulate your IRs to achieve your favorite sound with ease. You'll love how this plug-in will change your perception of guitar sounds, forever.

faIRmageddon is a community project with the goal to create a Guitar Cabinet Impulse Response Designer for the growing needs of guitar players of the 21st century. With thousands of high quality guitar cabinet impulses and amp simulations out there it's easy to get a good guitar sound. But only good sounding is not enough anymore. What you deserve is your own unique sound.

faIRmageddon is currently available for free during the Early Access phase.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

Thanks! Just read the newsletter and I'm happy you already have a vision of this plugin. It already offers quite some options to manipulate the sound and have actual visual feedback of what it does. The roadmap looks interesting and I'm wondering about that "workbench" section.

Small requests: would be nice if the plugin recovers the display states too when changing presets or loading projects. Right now it seems to always show the browser. And if the top line (current folder) in the browser could be shortened somehow. In my (fairly long) paths the interesting part gets cut off.

Little bug here, but nothing game changing because early access: I noticed shifting the frequency spectrum negative makes the graphics in the display vanish. And I also had random peaks occuring. Luckily I had a limiter on the master which caught it :D

Tilly wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm Thanks! Just read the newsletter and I'm happy you already have a vision of this plugin. It already offers quite some options to manipulate the sound and have actual visual feedback of what it does. The roadmap looks interesting and I'm wondering about that "workbench" section.
Hey Tilly,

nice to hear from you again! To use a quote from "Dude, where's my car": The workbench is an object of great power and it's great power is only exceeded by it's mystery!
Tilly wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm Small requests: would be nice if the plugin recovers the display states too when changing presets or loading projects. Right now it seems to always show the browser. And if the top line (current folder) in the browser could be shortened somehow. In my (fairly long) paths the interesting part gets cut off.

Little bug here, but nothing game changing because early access: I noticed shifting the frequency spectrum negative makes the graphics in the display vanish. And I also had random peaks occuring. Luckily I had a limiter on the master which caught it :D
Thank you for the feedback. We will add this to our todo list!
― Arthur C. Clarke

Wow this looks very cool! Nothing like it on the market (My favorite kind of plugin)! I'm glad I got in before the cutoff date for early access! I can't wait to try it out! very innovative idea! Great work!

Thanks for the reminder, almost missed this one :D Was very happy to see it in my account.

I encountered some small bugs/anomalies (tested with v0.97.009):
-small issue: saving a preset via the preset bar opens the desktop in default. That'S a bit unsual as there's often a company folder within user documents or a similar location. Only using "save preset" seems to do it right.
-major bug to me: loading the preset doesn't recall all settings correct (the mix position is centered, it is back to mono, the frequencies are set wrong) which makes it just not reliable or useful to be honest. This unfortunately seem to be the case too for projects and should be the least thing that needs to work in a plugin (even in early access; not meant offensive).
-small request: would be nice if it could load a preset in default (when opening the plugin all slots are empty)
-small bug: the undo menu only works for some parameters and the information should contain which slot it was too (at the moment it only displays "param bend" no matter which slot. interestingly the slot bypass shows which slot it is). copy & paste doesn't seem to get a undo step at all and loading IR or clearing too.
-feature request: I saw your feature poll on the website and would like to ask for automatic gain compenstion. Some of the sound shaping opertations can result in much loudness.

I appreciate your effort and I'm sure you'll be able to fix (at least the project recall) small bugs for the next early access release. Already voted for dry/wet and stereo export :hug:

thagreatbelow wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 pm Wow this looks very cool! Nothing like it on the market (My favorite kind of plugin)! I'm glad I got in before the cutoff date for early access! I can't wait to try it out! very innovative idea! Great work!
Welcome to the faMily ;-). Good to have you!
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm -small issue: saving a preset via the preset bar opens the desktop in default. That'S a bit unsual as there's often a company folder within user documents or a similar location. Only using "save preset" seems to do it right.
Hi Mike! Nice to hear from you again.
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm -major bug to me: loading the preset doesn't recall all settings correct (the mix position is centered, it is back to mono, the frequencies are set wrong) which makes it just not reliable or useful to be honest. This unfortunately seem to be the case too for projects and should be the least thing that needs to work in a plugin (even in early access; not meant offensive).
No offense taken, nevertheless reliability is the last thing you should expect from an early access version but rather inspiration for new ideas and the possibility to get accustomed to the work flow. This bug is already in the list of known errors displayed on the plugin page and although one might think its a trivial probleml it is not. Please don't use EA versions with ongoing projects. With a bit of luck it will be fixed with the next version.
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm -small request: would be nice if it could load a preset in default (when opening the plugin all slots are empty)
That means this is a bug. It should load IRs from the faIR Modern Rock pack. Do you use mac or windows? There were some problems with the correct file path on mac.
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm -small bug: the undo menu only works for some parameters and the information should contain which slot it was too (at the moment it only displays "param bend" no matter which slot. interestingly the slot bypass shows which slot it is). copy & paste doesn't seem to get a undo step at all and loading IR or clearing too.
-feature request: I saw your feature poll on the website and would like to ask for automatic gain compenstion. Some of the sound shaping opertations can result in much loudness.
Hmmmm. The resulting IRs are already normalized to a maximum amplitude, which means there's a limit on how loud it can get. Do you get so much loudness difference?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
― Arthur C. Clarke

forwardaudio wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:38 pm
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm -major bug to me: loading the preset doesn't recall all settings correct (the mix position is centered, it is back to mono, the frequencies are set wrong) which makes it just not reliable or useful to be honest. This unfortunately seem to be the case too for projects and should be the least thing that needs to work in a plugin (even in early access; not meant offensive).
No offense taken, nevertheless reliability is the last thing you should expect from an early access version but rather inspiration for new ideas and the possibility to get accustomed to the work flow. This bug is already in the list of known errors displayed on the plugin page and although one might think its a trivial probleml it is not. Please don't use EA versions with ongoing projects. With a bit of luck it will be fixed with the next version.
Sounds good! I think testing is usually done by working with it in projects. Opening the plugin and randomly tweaking some knobs just doesn't get the job done imo :D
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm -small request: would be nice if it could load a preset in default (when opening the plugin all slots are empty)
That means this is a bug. It should load IRs from the faIR Modern Rock pack. Do you use mac or windows? There were some problems with the correct file path on mac.
I work on Windows and it happens in FL Studio and Studio One definitely everytime. On your settingspage a library folder is set and I looked into it, the faIR Modern Rock pack indeed is installed. The browsers within the slots list all those impulses too but none is selected. Might indeed just a small loading bug.
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:31 pm -small bug: the undo menu only works for some parameters and the information should contain which slot it was too (at the moment it only displays "param bend" no matter which slot. interestingly the slot bypass shows which slot it is). copy & paste doesn't seem to get a undo step at all and loading IR or clearing too.
Hmmmm. The resulting IRs are already normalized to a maximum amplitude, which means there's a limit on how loud it can get. Do you get so much loudness difference?
A good example would be the "Bend" parameter. If you tweak it the loudness can get really loud really fast. I assume because the waveform gets stretched it just has a different average loudness compared to a more narrow wave normalized to the same amplitude.

edit: so far I like it. Mixing IRs is very easy that way, love the visualization/feedback of everything when tweaking and I'm looking forward to the additional shaping options in the output 8) Though I think some of my longer IRs get truncated (is that possible!?). On the other hand it's indeed labeled as Guitar Cabinet IR designer and I don't think long a reverb is necessary then.

mike_the_ranger wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:57 pm edit: so far I like it. Mixing IRs is very easy that way, love the visualization/feedback of everything when tweaking and I'm looking forward to the additional shaping options in the output 8) Though I think some of my longer IRs get truncated (is that possible!?). On the other hand it's indeed labeled as Guitar Cabinet IR designer and I don't think long a reverb is necessary then.
Very nice ;-). Yes, we've limited the max IR length to 50 ms so basically for close mics. There will be a warning message in the upcoming version that will state if the IR is too long.
― Arthur C. Clarke

Yet another free update. Gotta say this is very promising! :tu:
forwardaudio wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:40 am Very nice ;-). Yes, we've limited the max IR length to 50 ms so basically for close mics.
I guess it's 35ms now. Maybe we're able to set them up freely ourself one day? :lol: Great additions btw! I really dig the new alignment indicators. And being able to mix it with it the original is fantastic. I also can already see settings entries for alignment and export but I guess those won't come into a free early access version, right? Indeed some of the shaping controls lead to very loud results. Either some output limiting could already be useful or automaic gain compensation.

One little thing that occured here is the automatic phase alignment not aligning to the "right" point on more non standard IRs. Don't know if your algorithms have detected that just better than me but it seems rarely it's off by a few points. And in addition to that: is there a zoom planned in the wave view? That can help too if we need to correct the alignment manually.

Keep up the great work and thanks :)

May I ask when the next update is available? Latest version hard crashes Cubase even when scanning.

RobinWood wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:06 am May I ask when the next update is available? Latest version hard crashes Cubase even when scanning.
The next update will be available tomorrow.
― Arthur C. Clarke

XxEDxX wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:20 pm I guess it's 35ms now. Maybe we're able to set them up freely ourself one day? :lol: Great additions btw! I really dig the new alignment indicators. And being able to mix it with it the original is fantastic. I also can already see settings entries for alignment and export but I guess those won't come into a free early access version, right?
Yes, you are right with all of your points. The parameters on the sys page are prepared and will be available in future updates. However, there will still be a maximum IR length.
XxEDxX wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:20 pm Indeed some of the shaping controls lead to very loud results. Either some output limiting could already be useful or automaic gain compensation.
Experimental automatic gain compensation will be included in the next update.
XxEDxX wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:20 pm One little thing that occured here is the automatic phase alignment not aligning to the "right" point on more non standard IRs. Don't know if your algorithms have detected that just better than me but it seems rarely it's off by a few points.
Interesting. What kind of non standard IRs are we talking about? I've had once a Sennheiser MD421 which had an unusual IR structure and wherefore there we're problems finding the polarity.
XxEDxX wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:20 pm And in addition to that: is there a zoom planned in the wave view? That can help too if we need to correct the alignment manually.
Zoom was already included during the early alpha phase and was removed due to some restructuring. It will eventually be reintegreated.
XxEDxX wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:20 pm Keep up the great work and thanks :)
Thanks for being part of our great faMILY ;-).
― Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “forward audio”