Strategy and project file size

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

Is it right that my Reaper project file with single instance of Strategy takes up 24 Mb?
It's almost impossible to have 4-5 instances of Strategy in project.:(
In addition, since Reaper constantly stores plug-in states for undo operations, this greatly slows down the response of the Reaper interface.

Well Strategy is a big library with thousands of samples, so yes, it's normal that it uses around 24Mb, that's the size of a preset file.

I'm sorry, but I don't get it.
The Strategy don't save the samples in the preset file, isn't it? It saves the plugin state. Is the state really needs so much space?
I don't care about my hard drives, but it's all about performance.

BTW, Doubling doesn't work in Solo mode.

That's what i'm saying, the plugin state itself weights 24Mb, there are no samples indeed but the preset file lists the files/load state/mapping/modulations, etc, since this is a text file and there are thousands of samples, the text file is big.

And yes, it's normal that the solo mode does not work with doubling, it's not supposed to.

Ok, thank you!

thysm00 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:48 am That's what i'm saying, the plugin state itself weights 24Mb
I've read on another forum there is previous version that don't use so much space for presets. Can I get a link to the version?
(It is very difficult to work when the Reaper is forced to overwrite a huge project file (> 25 Mb) to disk after each change in the plugin parameter.)

I don't know where you found this information, but it's probably wrong. We made a few updates to strategy, but mainly bug fixes, nothing on the size of the presets.

thysm00 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:24 pm I don't know where you found this information, but it's probably wrong. We made a few updates to strategy, but mainly bug fixes, nothing on the size of the presets.
It seems I confused it with Sunbird.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Acousticsampl ... 64773.aspx

Anyway, do you have any plans to reduce size of presets? Or the library don't intended to using inside DAW?

No, i'm sorry there is no way around it, our guitars are very detailed and contains thousands of samples, that's the reason why the presets are big. Reducing the size of the preset would also mean reducing the quality and detail of the library.

I have used Strategy with both Cantabile and Gig Perform hosts, and the huge (project) file size issue is real and makes it almost impossible for me to use this plugin. I have used DOZENS of other sample-based plugins, including Telematic also from Acoustic Samples, that consume a fraction of the file size footprint of Strategy.

For example, in Cantabile the size of my Telematic guitar rack (with IK's Amplitube) is 153KB. The size of my Strategy guitar rack (with Amplitube) is over 22MB!!! Both Telematic and Strategy are sampled guitar instruments from the same vendor, so they must know why one instrument is 150 times bigger than the other.

The Gig Performer developers all agree that there is way too much data being loaded into the plugin "state" when compared to other sample-based instruments. I submitted an Acoustic Samples support ticket on 8/2/20 and haven't heard a thing. This needs to be fixed!

The size of my Strategy guitar rack (with Amplitube) is over 22MB!!!
22MB file size. God no. That's just real-life tragedy unfolding.

raven86 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 pm 22MB file size. God no. That's just real-life tragedy unfolding.
You should read the whole topic. 22Mb - it's size of preset.
There's no problem if you use the guitar in standalone mode.
But when you have >2 instances of the guitar in your project and every time you change any parameter of your project, the DAW (Reaper) rewrite the temporary project file (>50 Mb). It really slows down the response of the Reaper interface, sometimes the playback stutters. Not to mention it kills the SSD because the overall size of project file rewrites can reach up to 2-3 GB per 2 hours working session.

Well, as i said earlier, there is no way around it.
But i have a question, 22Mb is not that big, even 2 instances is not huge either, how do you get to 2-3gb? How many instances do you have? To get to 3gb, you need 136instances...

Return to “AcousticsampleS”