B-5 (B5) Preset Including Amp Model?

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
B-5 Organ UVI Workstation

Using B-5 2.2.1 inside of UVI (2.6.15, x64) standalone (still need 32-bits for the moment.) The goal is to have the amp model (Leslie vs. DI, for example) and other parameters saved in a Preset, and assign that Preset to a Preset Key. In this way, pressing the Preset Key would get me back to the same exact sound I saved, without having to separately enable/disable the Leslie simulation. And I need to change Presets while playing live, so fumbling with on-screen, or even MIDI buttons/knob would be a challenge - using Preset Keys is really the best aproach.

The manual describes features in general, but lacks "how-to" information.

I am able to assign an existing Preset to a Preset Key, but so far I cannot figure out how to make my own Preset, assign it to a Preset Key, and then have the entire state (not just the drawbars) load automatically the next time I load up UVI and B-5.

Assuming I get the Preset creation sorted out, can the full feature set at the time I save the Preset be included (e.g., Leslie vs. DI, Reverb depth, etc.) when I activate a Preset via a Preset Key?

Many thanks.
Last edited by hpunyon on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm afraid the black keys presets don't work this way, they are just for drawbar presets and there is no way around it. This is how real hammonds work as well.
Also if we had the leslie settings be saved on the black keys it would create huge glitches when selecting one because it does many things including loading impulse responses. The preset keys are used to switch drawbar settings quickly while playing and no pops and cracks are allowed.

Also you can add your preset to the list of presets in the preset manager and then in the preferences assign any preset from the list to any black key.

Thanks for the timely reply - while it wasn't my intention to activate a Preset while playing, others might, so your explanation makes sense.

As an alternative, does B-5 respond to Bank (CC0/CC32) and/or MIDI Program Change messages, and if so, would this provide the ability to load all the settings at once, e.g., Amp Model, Reverb, etc.?

If MIDI won't work in that way, I will probably need to map a MIDI CC for the B-5 Amp Model type, and then use MAX MSP to change it separately in response to pressing the Preset Key. So, B-5 would change the drawbars, and the same Preset Key (MIDI Note On) would also cause MAX to generate MIDI controller messages to get other B-5 settings the way I want them for that Preset.

Thanks.
Last edited by hpunyon on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No i don't think it can work with program changes.

But gievn what you want to do, you might want to look at some app made for live like mainstage on mac or gigperformer for example. They will allow for program change and will let you switch presets with whatever you want.

Any thought on using MIDI Bank/Program Change?

Many thanks.

Yes, that's what i said first ;) It won't work with UVI Workstation on its own.

When you write "It won't work with UVI Workstation on its own" - are you saying there is better functionality if UVI is used in a DAW, e.g., Ableton? If so, please explain.

I thought there might be a difference between a classic Hammond "Preset" (using the reverse keys, for drawbars only, originally hard-wired) and a MIDI Program (via Bank/Program Change) - are they the same thing in B-5? Is there no unit of MIDI Program storage in B-5 beyond the drawbars? Are all other parameters (Amps, effects, EQ) remembered only in a flat space, or not at all?

For example, in the modern B3 manual, pages 76-77, http://hammondorganco.com/wp-content/up ... /B3mk2.pdf, we see the Preset Keys can load combinations of parameters, defaulting to the original B3 "drawbars only", but expandable to include Amp Model, Reverb, EQ, Pedal Drawbars - giving the live musician greater control of the recall provided.

I do get the need for the Hammond-specific "reverse Preset Key" feature to be glitch-free and limited to the drawbars "like the original". I owned one, and played many hardware Hammonds in their heyday, but in the DAW/MIDI-world of a feature-rich, amazing sounding, plug-in like B-5 :phones: I'm hoping Acousticsamples have a way to handle saving/loading all/most settings, in between songs/sets/recordings.

Thank you.
Last edited by hpunyon on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Of course there is a way to save everything in UVI Workstation, there are two ways actually:
1- if you open the presets panels there is a load/save option for general presets. These contains EVERYTHING but the organ model because it requires a long sample load.
2- If you save a session in a sequencer, it will save the "multi" file that you can also save manually using the top button with the three horizontal lines. This will save absolutely everything.

I was just saying that there is no way to change between general presets using Bank or program change in UVI Workstation in standalone, but this can be done using third party apps like apple mainstage or gigperformer that load UVI Workstation as a plugin and that are made especially for that, which is live use when you have to switch between songs without touching your computer.

Thank you. Understanding those limitations helps me setup my rig accordingly.

I'd been using UVI successfully inside a 3rd party hosting wrapper, but was trying to eliminate the wrapper and run UVI standalone instead (save a few MB/CPU). For now, I will keep the hosting wrapper.

Thank you again for a great-sounding emulation!

Return to “AcousticsampleS”