better voicings attached

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The default voicings are not very good, the attached voicings are more logically sorted by:

1. fret position
2. number of strings
3. pitch

I used the Conchordance project to calculate the voicings https://github.com/benjohnson2001/Conchordance

Acousticsamples team please consider including better voicings as default! The current set jumps all over the fretboard, the sorting seems to be completely random.

This forum is not allowed me to upload attachments so I've linked it here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/benjo ... .asvoicing, right-click on link and save or copy and paste into a file with asvoicing extension in order to load.

Hi,

I will review your voicings and maybe use these as default for future instruments, but i'm afraid it's not possible to just replace everything because it would break all of our current users songs.
If you want and agree (and after i check your voicings), i can ad your voicings preset to the official version.

Yes I would definitely agree, that would be great : )

In that repo RunNormalChord.java is the entry point, but you can see there is another entry point RunTwoNoteChords.java where there are some hacks to allow for support of dyads (intervals). It would also be really cool if these two-note chords were supported, for example if you had the notes C and E it would be something like Cno5 instead of C major.

Thanks for your consideration, I appreciate it

:band:

Well, i'm sorry, but i just checked just a few chords and this will definitely won't work...
Just as an example, the Em and EM only have 3 strings used... I'm afraid this is not what i call standard chords...
And this is the case for most m and M chords.
Same problem arises with E7 (more strings but really not the ones used the most...).
So unless i have made a mistake and it wasn't loaded properly, this can't be used in the official library...

There is an equivalent voicing with all strings for every 3 string chord you looked at, the number of strings is one of the sorting criteria to sweep across incrementally from min number of strings to max number of strings and from low pitch to high pitch for a given fret position. There are times when you want to use just the lower strings of a guitar or just the higher strings of a guitar, for example when you have 2 guitars that are tightly packed in the frequency range. In these cases it's useful to have one guitar use the bottom strings and the other guitar use the higher strings so they don't step on each other.

Either way, the Conchordance library is useful to calculate and sort voicings even if your personal criteria is different. It sounds like what you call standard chords is a subset of what's attached.

Return to “AcousticsampleS”