Mark79: some clanging notes + perceivable latency

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mark79

I noticed that the notes B3 - C4 - C#4 - D#4 and E4 make a very unpleasant metallic clang (especially for velocity 60 and up), while the neighboring ones make the usual nice tinkle. It sounds almost like a tine sample was played 1 octave higher.
Is it a flaw of the library or a non-optimal original instrument? Very disappointed with those notes (get used very much, as you can imagine) and that makes this otherwise nice library a lemon for me. Think for example of playing the intro to Pink Floyd's Sheep: awful, believe me.
Of minor note, in the low register, one can clearly perceive some lag. I made some A/B test with the Scarbee Mk1 and it's very clear.
.:: (noou) - electronic + music ::.
https://noou.bandcamp.com

Just not to leave this like that, i wanted to say that we're working on it.

yes, I noticed these issues too. thank you for working on it, guys.

any possible ETA when the fix becomes available? I hope this year at some point.

to OP: funny you'd mention "Sheep" intro. when I got Mark79, I was instantly inspired by its vibrato and decided to learn the piece. the result still needs practice. might be loud on your system, I suggest lowering the volume first https://clyp.it/aoy4eboz

pinch of delay on top (stock UVI WS fx)
Last edited by Dullee on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

There's already a fix on the website, just download the library again from acousticsamples.net and it should sound much better ;)

are there any upgrades from Mach Five 3 to Mark79 like Telematic Upgrade ?

Sadly the changelogs stopped again already.

It seems every library i own was updated in the last days but not a single changelog. Do I have to download them now ?

There's already a fix on the website, just download the library again from acousticsamples.net and it should sound much better
thank you! I'll check it out. were Wurlie and Clavi updated too? it says "March 17 2018" under release date in downloads section.

Edit: No, seems not. Archive size of Wurlie and Clavi same as previous versions. Mark79 is updated.

thysm00 wrote:There's already a fix on the website, just download the library again from acousticsamples.net and it should sound much better ;)
When do you plan to implement the remaining fixes? It's been a long time..

There are no remaining fixes... everything has been updated already...

thysm00 wrote:There are no remaining fixes... everything has been updated already...
I don't like to argue, but that is not true. :roll:
This is what Arnaud from Acousticsamples wrote back to me via email on March 21st, that is after the current Mark79 release (dated March 19th):
Regarding your new remarks
> - loudness of C4 around velocity 100 there's a jump in loudness.
Yes, i agree, it will be fixed in a future version.
It really looks like my comments, especially via email, bother you. Conversely, I think your should rather thank a customer that provides valuable feedback and helps making your libraries better. You originally agreed on that (email from March 16th):
After listening to it more, i agree, it sounds weird. And even if it was part of the original instrument, it needed to be fixed.
So my feedback may have been annoying, but after it you actually improved the Mark79 library.

As I wrote already via email, another chance to improve your piano libraries is to play back release samples according to MIDI note off velocity.
For the others: currently release samples are played back always at the MIDI note ON velocity value, so if you play a note hard and release it softly you still get a loud bark, which is weird and especially annoying in the low register.
In mid-April I tried to motivate via email why in my opinion you should implement that, despite the fact that many keyboards don't provide note off messages, but you just let this go. To summarize my points:
  • note off velocity for release samples is used by most Kontakt piano/epiano libraries that I know of, so it's clearly something meaningful not just for me.
  • without true note off velocity it looks like you are targeting lower-cost consumer keyboards rather than mid-range to professional stuff. Many recent keyboards and especially weighted ones send MIDI note off velocity. As an example, even the rather cheap Yamaha P-45 does so: https://jp.yamaha.com/files/download/ot ... _mr_b0.pdf

Your feedback wasn't annying, but there are simply some things that we don't agree with you on, and i told you about it in my email.
The fact that note off velocity is used in Kontakt does not mean that we want to add it here. None of our libraries work with it and that's because the volume of the release sample contains harmonic content tied to the corresponding sustain sample, so the volume of the release should not depend on the release velocity, but on the time between the start of the sustain and moment you released that key.

So no, we're not targeting low cost customers. We are doing what makes sense for us (and also mechanically). On a real piano, the fact that you release your note harder or not does not change the harmonic decay nor the volume of it.

So we improved what we thought were good points, but not on the rest.

What annoys me a little (not much i must say as you were always very polite ;) ) is that you insist on these points even when i tell you i don't agree with you ;)

we don't agree with you
so you agree or disagree, because he quoted Arnaud and you telling him you actually agree with his points
After listening to it more, i agree, it sounds weird. And even if it was part of the original instrument, it needed to be fixed.
now you say you don't agree. so which one is it? agree? disagree? :)

myself, I'm not so concerned about note-off, but what about that volume jump of C4 note at 100 vel, will it be fixed, at least?

I just said that i agreed on the C4 being too loud and i said there would be an update at some point, i did not say when.
And i strongly disagree on the rest ;)

Anyway, that new version is on the server, you can download it right away if you want.

thysm00 wrote:I just said that i agreed on the C4 being too loud and i said there would be an update at some point, i did not say when.
Actually in your post on Thu May 17 you wrote "There are no remaining fixes... everything has been updated already..."
And I can't help interpreting those dots as a spot of bother.

Anyway, thanks for fixing the C4 issue. I'll check it out.

I was not talking about that, just about the quote made right above:
I thought i did upload that C4 fix and i was wrong, but it's done this time and you can download it.

Return to “AcousticsampleS”