Stuck notes in B-5 update 2.2

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More organs? Amazing! Thanks!

The new models are fantastic.
Thank you very much.

I did the upgrade to B5 2.5 and UVI workstation 3.0.5 and I'm having a serious problem with stuck notes on both my 2015 MBP and my 2012 Mac Mini (both running Mojave 10.14.5).
Kurzweil PC4; Korg Kronos 61 (2); Casio PX-350M

I'm sorry, but you will have to be more specific, when do the stuck notes happen, do you have a MIDI file that can help us reproduce that?
Does this happen to other users?

The stuck frequencies issue still happens to me with version 2.5.

It happens when doing a rake or slide on the keyboard. Easier to reproduce when doing multiple rakes at the same time (use both hands to repeat the same rake over and over).

It leaves some frequencies ringing, but not all of them. Changing the drawbars fades the stuck frequencies in and out. Not all drawbars have an effect on the stuck frequencies, and the ones that do are not consistent between occurrences, i.e. sometimes only the 9th drawbar will be stuck, sometimes all of them, sometimes 1,2,3,5,7, and 8, etc.

The issue happens when loaded in UVI Workstation v3.0.4 or the latest v3.0.5, and also previous versions. It happens both when UVI Workstation is running standalone and when it's hosted as a plugin in a DAW (Ableton Live).

The issue doesn't happen in V2 of B5, only in V2.2 and V2.5. I believe this is key to investigating it since it was introduced somewhere between V2 and V2.2.

If a MIDI clip is recorded with the issue occurring during the recording, then that MIDI clip is played back, the issue doesn't reproduce on playback. This makes it hard to demonstrate.

I sent a video demonstrating the issue to the AcousticSamples bug report box on 2018-12-05, but I don't know if it was received and haven't heard from them since, and there's no way to view the support ticket that was created from it.

Here is a video reproducing the issue on B5 V2.2 which I recorded in December 2018 and sent with my bug report. The same issue happens in V2.5.

Note that after the frequencies get stuck, and then killed with a "all notes off" message, some of the frequencies are left "dead" and are missing from subsequent notes (see e.g. the high F# towards the end of the video which is missing many frequencies).

Ok this is a different "stuck note" thing from the other reports we got since they are not related to the 9th drawbar only.
This seems to be happening pretty easily for you, i have been sliding on the keyboard (3 different ones) like crazy, and actually a lot of users do exactly the same thing and there are no stuck notes.
The fact that when you record the MIDI it does not happen, makes me think that there might be something odd with your keyboard and maybe some notes off are not paired with notes off. When this happens, most sequencers fix it and add the necessary MIDI messages.
I'll try to create a version especially for you with a log that will definitely tell if note on and off are paired.

Can you also try to do the slides on the virtual keyboard with your mouse to see if you get the same problem? Technically it should do it as well. Is there any chance that you have another keyboard that you can try?

I can't reproduce it with my mouse on the virtual keyboard.
I'll try to hook up some other keyboard and see if it reproduces then.

I'm not sure the note-on/note-off pairing is the issue because what gets stuck isn't a specific note but rather a set of frequencies (not all the frequencies that were activated by the drawbars, only some of them).

BTW I never said my issue is related to the 9th drawbar only, it could happen to all of them and most times involves more than one drawbar, as can be seen in the video.

If you can provide a special version that logs note-on/note-off pairings that would also be a good step towards finding the cause of the problem.

Ok, the fact that the mouse does not produce the problem is a good indicator, because it basically plays a very fast slide but takes the keyboard out of the equation. I'm not saying it's definitely the keyboard, but that plus the fact that creating a MIDI file that reproduces it makes it sounds like it is.

The note on/off pairing seems to be the culprit here because it's not just one frequency, it's a whole series, and then they are blocked for the other notes that you try to play after. This is how the B-5 organ works (which is the same way as a real one), the 91 frequencies are virtually played all the time and the contacts are made when you press a note. If you kill them somehow while the B-5 thinks they should be playing, then they are not started again and that explains why the notes in your video are missing frequencies.

And i know you never said that, but the thread starter did as well as another user in the thread. Since this is a thread that everyone sees, i just wanted to point it out to other users that might have the 9th drawbar stuck that it's not the same issue here.

Just try another keyboard first and if we get the same issue, then i'll see about this logged version. You could actually even do this with a MIDI monitor that logs MIDI events like MIDIOX (win) or MIDIpipe (mac).

thysm00 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 pmYou could actually even do this with a MIDI monitor that logs MIDI events like MIDIOX
Here is a MIDI log extracted from MIDI-OX when the issue occurs.

The log contains several slides. The first few do not produce any stuck frequencies, then the 4th one does. The stuck frequencies are stopped using a Panic control (reset control + all notes off). After that there are 4 more slides, each one producing stuck frequencies and followed by a Panic message block.

As far as I could tell, the NoteOn/NoteOff messages are balanced correctly within each slide. I couldn't find anything that distinguishes between the first slides (which don't produce stuck frequencies) and the later slides (which do). Maybe you could find something that I missed?
Last edited by anavish on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

thysm00 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 pmJust try another keyboard first and if we get the same issue, then i'll see about this logged version.

As per this recommendation I also tested this using a different keyboard (a Yamaha P105 digital piano acting as a MIDI keyboard), and the issue reproduces easily on that keyboard as well. So I don't think it's keyboard-specific.

Ok thanks, can you try something else?
In the MIDI prefs page, there is a value called "velocity to contact speed", can you try to set it to 0 and check if the problem still happens?

thysm00 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:37 pm In the MIDI prefs page, there is a value called "velocity to contact speed", can you try to set it to 0 and check if the problem still happens?
I tried setting "velocity to contact speed" to 0 and the issue still occurs..

I am having the same issue as anavish across multiple controllers (Studiologic Numa Organ 2 & Hamichord M-C3). It has occurred multiple times on gigs using both v2.2 & v2.5 and is very embarrassing in a professional performance context! Please fix it ASAP!

I do note that both of my controllers use MIDI DINs and not MIDI over USB. Is anyone having the issue when using MIDI over USB?

davinwv wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:41 am I do note that both of my controllers use MIDI DINs and not MIDI over USB. Is anyone having the issue when using MIDI over USB?
Both keyboards I've encountered this issue on use MIDI over USB.

Also, while I'm sorry for your experience, it's nice to know I'm not the only one suffering from this :)

Return to “AcousticsampleS”