Stuck notes in B-5 update 2.2

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can confirm this bug still happens with the latest (September 2018) update of v2.2.1. To reproduce, I simply do a "rake", running my palm up from the lower notes all the way to a higher one and staying there. About one in three such rakes leave a stuck note or a single drawbar of one note, which go away when I send a "Panic" or "All notes off" message from my MIDI keyboard.

While typing this message I just reproduced this bug again, and got a note stuck with both the 1st and the 9th drawbars; I can adjust them in the UI and they affect the sound being played by the stuck note, but no other drawbars do (although they were open when I played). So this is not some lost note-off MIDI message, it's a drawbard-specific thing.

Once I had a stuck drawbar which, after I issued a Panic message, went away, but then never came back -- when I pressed the relevant key it was missing some of the harmonics. That might be a different, unrelated bug.

Ok, please send a support request and they will check this, but please join a MIDI file to your ticket so that we can reproduce the problem.

thysm00 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm Ok, please send a support request and they will check this, but please join a MIDI file to your ticket so that we can reproduce the problem.
I opened a support ticket. I could not reproduce this with a MIDI file, but instead provided a screen capture of a B5 running in UVI Workstation when the bug is happening.

I have this issue as well. Raking from the bottom of the keyboard to reach a note or chord causes it. I've had it happen during multiple live shows and cannot un-stick the note, despite replaying every note on the controller (with my volume pedal fully off, of course.) I end up unloading the plug-in and finishing the set without organ - not wonderful for me, the band, or the audiences.

So after all these complaints - why is 2.2.1 still the most recent version - has this never been addressed?

Great sound - sort of like the sound of playing Russian Roulette -- as long as you get an empty chamber, sounds wonderful.

thysm00 will you fix this issue please?

Update - I created an All Notes Off (CTRL 123,0) button in Max linked to a hardware button on my MIDI controller. When I test against a deliberately stuck note (by robbing the note-off message), All Notes Off silences the note. But, also pressing and releasing the key for the deliberately stuck note also silences it. I have a show on Friday, so I'll be ready to try the new button, if I hit the condition. I'll provide an update. To be clear, this is a workaround - we should have a fix, please.

We updated the library recently with a possible fix to this, can you both download the library again and test it? If it does not, all we need to fix it is a MIDI file that reproduces the problem, so if you can provide us with one, that would help us fix it because for now, we can't really fix a problem that is not happening on our end no matter what we try...

I don't see any Downloads for B-5 more recent than early 2018. The most recent Download I see says what I've quoted below - is this the download you mean?

Also, how can i tell if I have the latest B-5 library installed?

'Added Feb 20 2018

- Quick update to fix some stuck notes on the 9th drawbar in some cases.'

That's actually my bad... i thought it was uploaded and it was not. And for a good reason, this update is bigger than just a fix, we added two new Organ Models and there are a few small internal fixes, we will announce it today.
Now it says the right update date, right version number, etc. Sorry for my previous message.

This updates (v2.5) contains a fix about a possible stuck note when using the preset keys/presets buttons, so hopefully that will fix your issue. If it does not, please try to find a way to reproduce it and i'll be happy to fix it, but just going up and down the scale, even very quickly never ever produced a stuck note over here (and for most customers). One customer had an issue like that, but it turns out his keyboard wasn't sending note offs from time to time...

Yes, I see the update now - thank you. The reference to the preset keys is promising for me - I do use the preset keys on stage.

I have two important shows over the next week, so I will have to wait until I can have ample test time to apply the update. Meanwhile, I do have the All-Notes-Off at the ready.

Question - Does B-5 process All-Notes-Off (CTRL 123,0) at the tonewheel level? Meaning, assuming a stuck note is NOT being caused simply by a lost Note-Off message, should receiving All-Notes-Off silence the entire instrument?

If you want to be safe, i suggest using "all sound off" (CC120) instead of all notes off (CC123).
If there is a stuck note, sending a note off won't do anything, it would be like presing and releasing all keys.

That being said, we are already using CC123 and CC120 for some features of the interface so that all voices are killed.
In the preferences, if you change one of the following features (turn it on and off) it will do the trick:
- Keyboard MIDI CC assignements
- MIDI split
- Bass on upper and lower manual
- Percussion volume drop
- choice of stolen drawbar
- Paradise button
- recharge time
- enable sustain pedal

So mapping any of those to a CC and just enabling and disabling it should kill all stuck note. I know this is not a bug fix, but it should at least avoid frequencies ringing forever.

Hopefully the update fixes your problem though ;)

you sure you didn't forget to upload new versions of other instruments? Wurlie, Mark79 and Clavi user here :)

What can i say, these have been bug free for a while now ;)

Looking forward to play V-Tines soon enough

Well, that's the real stuff we've been working on for a while now, i'm sure you'll like it ;)

Return to “AcousticsampleS”